Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > High Def Brings High Sales Hopes.

Reply
Thread Tools

High Def Brings High Sales Hopes.

 
 
Alpha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2005

"Allan" <(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 13:52:18 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> And I'm ALREADY sick of double-dipping and so i'm not much of a mind to
>>> be TRIPLE/QUADRUPLE dipped. Price point of the new discs are a key
>>> point, also. <$20 to make me buy.

>>
>>Current projections are ca. $40 for HD DVD and perhaps $50 for Blu Ray
>>when
>>first introduced, retail. That is likely to fall as the production plants
>>ramp up.

>
> $40?
>
> Alpha making up facts again...


No. Many retail prices are far higher than $15. Get your mind in gear. I
went from percentage.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Goro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2005

Alpha wrote:
> "Allan" <(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 13:52:18 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>> And I'm ALREADY sick of double-dipping and so i'm not much of a mind to
> >>> be TRIPLE/QUADRUPLE dipped. Price point of the new discs are a key
> >>> point, also. <$20 to make me buy.
> >>
> >>Current projections are ca. $40 for HD DVD and perhaps $50 for Blu Ray
> >>when
> >>first introduced, retail. That is likely to fall as the production plants
> >>ramp up.

> >
> > $40?
> >
> > Alpha making up facts again...

>
> No. Many retail prices are far higher than $15. Get your mind in gear. I
> went from percentage.


i think it would surprsie MOST people what DVDs have an msrp of $29.99,
b/c no one would pay anywhere near that (unless they shop at Suncoast).
$20 normally. $9.99 or $14.99 for catalog titles. $16 on sale during
the first week.

Hell, XFILES Season Boxsets are now available new for $45.

-goro-

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alpha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2005

"Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> Alpha wrote:
>> "Allan" <(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote in
>> message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 13:52:18 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> >>> And I'm ALREADY sick of double-dipping and so i'm not much of a mind
>> >>> to
>> >>> be TRIPLE/QUADRUPLE dipped. Price point of the new discs are a key
>> >>> point, also. <$20 to make me buy.
>> >>
>> >>Current projections are ca. $40 for HD DVD and perhaps $50 for Blu Ray
>> >>when
>> >>first introduced, retail. That is likely to fall as the production
>> >>plants
>> >>ramp up.
>> >
>> > $40?
>> >
>> > Alpha making up facts again...

>>
>> No. Many retail prices are far higher than $15. Get your mind in gear.
>> I
>> went from percentage.

>
> i think it would surprsie MOST people what DVDs have an msrp of $29.99,
> b/c no one would pay anywhere near that (unless they shop at Suncoast).
> $20 normally. $9.99 or $14.99 for catalog titles. $16 on sale during
> the first week.
>
> Hell, XFILES Season Boxsets are now available new for $45.
>
> -goro-
>


My point is that this price point will take many years. When I first bought
CDs, they were $25 and people stood in line to buy them. Same with
DVDs...$35-40 initially. Do not expect $10 HD DVD until the year 2008.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Alpha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2005
2008 end of year if we're lucky. My guess really is 2010 for the same price
range.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Goro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2005

Alpha wrote:
*snip*
> My point is that this price point will take many years. When I first bought
> CDs, they were $25 and people stood in line to buy them. Same with
> DVDs...$35-40 initially. Do not expect $10 HD DVD until the year 2008.


This doesn't seem right to me. IIRC, when DVDs were coming out, I
could buy a LD for $32 and DVDs were cheaper than LDs, which was why I
migrated over.

-goro-

 
Reply With Quote
 
Invid Fan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allan
<(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 13:52:18 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> And I'm ALREADY sick of double-dipping and so i'm not much of a mind to
> >> be TRIPLE/QUADRUPLE dipped. Price point of the new discs are a key
> >> point, also. <$20 to make me buy.

> >
> >Current projections are ca. $40 for HD DVD and perhaps $50 for Blu Ray when
> >first introduced, retail. That is likely to fall as the production plants
> >ramp up.

>
> $40?
>
> Alpha making up facts again...
>

That may be, but you noticed his price was in Canadian $ I hope.

--
Chris Mack "Refugee, total ****. That's how I've always seen us.
'Invid Fan' Not a help, you'll admit, to agreement between us."
-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alpha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2005

"Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> Alpha wrote:
> *snip*
>> My point is that this price point will take many years. When I first
>> bought
>> CDs, they were $25 and people stood in line to buy them. Same with
>> DVDs...$35-40 initially. Do not expect $10 HD DVD until the year 2008.

>
> This doesn't seem right to me. IIRC, when DVDs were coming out, I
> could buy a LD for $32 and DVDs were cheaper than LDs, which was why I
> migrated over.
>
> -goro-
>


I have an extensive collection of LDs, and they hovered at $29 for the
cheapest (retail). Fox never got below $50 and most remained $70.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Alpha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2005

"Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>
>> Alpha wrote:
>> *snip*
>>> My point is that this price point will take many years. When I first
>>> bought
>>> CDs, they were $25 and people stood in line to buy them. Same with
>>> DVDs...$35-40 initially. Do not expect $10 HD DVD until the year 2008.

>>
>> This doesn't seem right to me. IIRC, when DVDs were coming out, I
>> could buy a LD for $32 and DVDs were cheaper than LDs, which was why I
>> migrated over.
>>
>> -goro-
>>

>
> I have an extensive collection of LDs, and they hovered at $29 for the
> cheapest (retail). Fox never got below $50 and most remained $70.
>
>
>


I'd also state that those were in ca. 1988 US dollars.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Allan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2005
On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:43:01 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>
>No. Many retail prices are far higher than $15. Get your mind in gear. I
>went from percentage.


Once again... pulling numbers from your head...

"Peter Chernin, president of News Corp. (Research) and its Fox
Entertainment unit, estimated recently that high-definition DVDs will
sell for about $20 to $25 apiece, compared to around $15 for today's
DVDs."

Please show us somewhere stating that Blu-Ray will be $50 a pop!!??






"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
 
Reply With Quote
 
Allan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2005
On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:07:10 -0700, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 8/2/2005 1:52:18 PM, Alpha wrote:
>
>> Current projections are ca. $40 for HD DVD and perhaps $50 for Blu Ray
>> when first introduced, retail. That is likely to fall as the
>> production plants ramp up.

>
>Whose projections?


Grin.. his.

>It's already been announced that they'll be
>substantially lower than that.


Exactly:

"Peter Chernin, president of News Corp. (Research) and its Fox
Entertainment unit, estimated recently that high-definition DVDs will
sell for about $20 to $25 apiece, compared to around $15 for today's
DVDs."







"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
method def in method vs method def in block Kyung won Cheon Ruby 0 11-21-2008 08:48 AM
Newbie: def must come before call to def? planetthoughtful Ruby 4 03-12-2007 11:36 AM
"def self.method" vs "class << self; def method" joevandyk@gmail.com Ruby 7 10-10-2006 08:46 AM
Is there a way to use "def self.new" to do the job of "def initialize"? Sean Ross Ruby 3 12-25-2003 04:59 AM
HttpModule -- how to intercept urls like http://localhost/abc/def or http://localhost/abc/def/ where abc, def are non virtual dir Jiong Feng ASP .Net 0 11-19-2003 05:29 AM



Advertisments