Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD with errors on - best way to recover ?

DVD with errors on - best way to recover ?

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.

Whats the best software (And free-est ) which will help me recover
data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?

Bratboy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
> Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
>
> Whats the best software (And free-est ) which will help me recover
> data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?

I suppose you could try to use DVDShrink or maybe decrypter, make a copy to
your HD and see if it plays okay. If it does then just reburn from the HD
copy

JayCee

Bratboy wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
>>Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
>>
>>Whats the best software (And free-est ) which will help me recover
>>data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?
>>

> I suppose you could try to use DVDShrink or maybe decrypter, make a copy to
> your HD and see if it plays okay. If it does then just reburn from the HD
> copy

Why don't you have the original DVD? Could it be that you never owned
the original? Maybe it was a rental? Don't make illegal copies.

Biz

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
> Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
>
> Whats the best software (And free-est ) which will help me recover
> data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?

If you dont have the original, you are supposed to get rid of all backups as
well. If you dont own it, you dont have any business copying it...

Neil Maxwell

On 2 Aug 2005 02:39:43 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
>Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
>
>Whats the best software (And free-est ) which will help me recover
>data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?

Often a different reader or burner will read failing or marginal
disks. You don't say if these were bad from the beginning (not very
recoverable) or were good and are starting to fail (recoverable if you
get to them soon enough).

I've had good luck recovering once good but now failing CDRs with the
LiteOn LTD163 DVD reader. It reads disks that are now unreadable on
several Plextor CD readers and writers, a Teac writer, and several NEC
DVD writers. None of my DVDRs are failing yet, but I'm assuming they
will eventually.

To avoid bad initial burns and head off early failures, I recommend
always verifying the data after the burn on anything you care about
and burning at 1/2 the burner's rated speed. Good quality media helps
too, but you need to test it on your system.

High

> If you dont have the original, you are supposed to get rid of all backups as
> well. If you dont own it, you dont have any business copying it...

Self-rightous, hipocritical @ssholes like you make me wanna puke. Why
are you defending the low life, drug infested, money grubbing
recording/movie industry anyway?

Alpha

"High" <789@123.456> wrote in message
news:7nUHe.3428$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> If you dont have the original, you are supposed to get rid of all backups
>> as
>> well. If you dont own it, you dont have any business copying it...
>>

> Self-rightous, hipocritical @ssholes like you make me wanna puke. Why are
> you defending the low life, drug infested, money grubbing recording/movie
> industry anyway?

How many MILLIONS of people are employed by the industry directly or
indirectly?

GraB

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:54:17 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
>> Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
>>
>> Whats the best software (And free-est ) which will help me recover
>> data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?
>>

>If you dont have the original, you are supposed to get rid of all backups as
>well. If you dont own it, you dont have any business copying it...

Who appointed you policeman? He didn't tell the full details.
Perhaps the original was irrepairably damaged (perhaps a kids DVD) and
the copy was a backup? He didn't specifically say it was a commercial
copy-protected DVD in the first place. Who appointed you policeman?
What agency do you represent? Do you hunt down people making MP3s
too?

DVDs do go off. That is well known. In the laws of some countries,
it is permissable to make a back-up, in my experience not a bad idea.

Billy Joe

> Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD
> speed. Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it
> from any more.
>
> Whats the best software (And free-est ) which will help
> me recover data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?

Did you happen to VERIFY the unfortunate disc, when written?

BJ

Billy Joe

> "High" <789@123.456> wrote in message
> news:7nUHe.3428$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> If you dont have the original, you are supposed to get rid
>>> of all backups as
>>> well. If you dont own it, you dont have any business
>>> copying it...

>> Self-rightous, hipocritical @ssholes like you make me wanna
>> puke. Why are you defending the low life, drug infested,
>> money grubbing recording/movie industry anyway?

> How many MILLIONS of people are employed by the industry
> directly or indirectly?

I give up! How many?

And, may I ask, how many were some years ago?

BJ