Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Xbox 360 might have HD-DVD (again!)

Xbox 360 might have HD-DVD (again!)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-M...360-3902.shtml

The Microsoft-Toshiba HD-DVD Alliance Changes Xbox 360

The new console will include HD-DVD

It didn't take long for the first effects of the partnership between
Microsoft and Toshiba announced yesterday to appear. According to the
statements made by Bill Gates in Japan, Xbox 360, the new gaming console
will include HD-DVD drives. Considering that such a decision would postpone
the launching date, Microsoft will equip the initial models with classic DVD
drives, and only after the new HD-DVD are ready, the Xbox will incorporate
them.

Xbox 360 going into the HD-DVD side is an important advantage for Toshiba
and in the same time a response to Sony's announcement that the new Play
Station 3 will incorporate the Blu-Ray standard.

Up until now, the Play Station sales exceed Xbox's, but the fact that
Microsoft will be launched before PlayStation 3 makes some analysts say this
situation will change.

Gates also said that the Microsoft-Toshiba alliance is not a unilateral
partnership and that many of the equipments manufactured by the Japanese
company, such as the Tablet PCs will be based on Longhorn, Microsoft's
future operating system.

RKRM

How ****ing stupid can Microsoft be? There goes my pre-order. Who in their
right mind would buy a launch 360 when there is a better one coming? Give me
a break. What a bunch of dumbasses.

<Highlander> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-M...360-3902.shtml
>
> The Microsoft-Toshiba HD-DVD Alliance Changes Xbox 360
>
> The new console will include HD-DVD
>
> It didn't take long for the first effects of the partnership between
> Microsoft and Toshiba announced yesterday to appear. According to the
> statements made by Bill Gates in Japan, Xbox 360, the new gaming console
> will include HD-DVD drives. Considering that such a decision would
> postpone
> the launching date, Microsoft will equip the initial models with classic
> DVD
> drives, and only after the new HD-DVD are ready, the Xbox will incorporate
> them.
>
> Xbox 360 going into the HD-DVD side is an important advantage for Toshiba
> and in the same time a response to Sony's announcement that the new Play
> Station 3 will incorporate the Blu-Ray standard.
>
> Up until now, the Play Station sales exceed Xbox's, but the fact that
> Microsoft will be launched before PlayStation 3 makes some analysts say
> this
> situation will change.
>
> Gates also said that the Microsoft-Toshiba alliance is not a unilateral
> partnership and that many of the equipments manufactured by the Japanese
> company, such as the Tablet PCs will be based on Longhorn, Microsoft's
> future operating system.

Spungo

"RKRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How ****ing stupid can Microsoft be? There goes my pre-order. Who in their
> right mind would buy a launch 360 when there is a better one coming? Give
> me a break. What a bunch of dumbasses.

IAWTP.

Mattinglyfan

"Spungo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "RKRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How ****ing stupid can Microsoft be? There goes my pre-order. Who in
>> their right mind would buy a launch 360 when there is a better one
>> coming? Give me a break. What a bunch of dumbasses.

> IAWTP.

Sounds like Nintendo leaking that they are developing a new gameboy to
compete with the PSP just a little after the DS is released. The only
difference is, the DS only costs $150 and will still be functional. I am
not going to re-buy a console for more than $300 for a feature they should
have included or left out from jump.

flashman

Soon or later something better always comes along so if you ever wants to
put out it will become second best and that's the way it is!
"RKRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How ****ing stupid can Microsoft be? There goes my pre-order. Who in their
> right mind would buy a launch 360 when there is a better one coming? Give
> me a break. What a bunch of dumbasses.
>

> <Highlander> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-M...360-3902.shtml
>>
>> The Microsoft-Toshiba HD-DVD Alliance Changes Xbox 360
>>
>> The new console will include HD-DVD
>>
>> It didn't take long for the first effects of the partnership between
>> Microsoft and Toshiba announced yesterday to appear. According to the
>> statements made by Bill Gates in Japan, Xbox 360, the new gaming console
>> will include HD-DVD drives. Considering that such a decision would
>> postpone
>> the launching date, Microsoft will equip the initial models with classic
>> DVD
>> drives, and only after the new HD-DVD are ready, the Xbox will
>> incorporate
>> them.
>>
>> Xbox 360 going into the HD-DVD side is an important advantage for Toshiba
>> and in the same time a response to Sony's announcement that the new Play
>> Station 3 will incorporate the Blu-Ray standard.
>>
>> Up until now, the Play Station sales exceed Xbox's, but the fact that
>> Microsoft will be launched before PlayStation 3 makes some analysts say
>> this
>> situation will change.
>>
>> Gates also said that the Microsoft-Toshiba alliance is not a unilateral
>> partnership and that many of the equipments manufactured by the Japanese
>> company, such as the Tablet PCs will be based on Longhorn, Microsoft's
>> future operating system.

Doug Jacobs

In alt.games.video.xbox Highlander wrote:

> It didn't take long for the first effects of the partnership between
> Microsoft and Toshiba announced yesterday to appear. According to the
> statements made by Bill Gates in Japan, Xbox 360, the new gaming console
> will include HD-DVD drives. Considering that such a decision would postpone
> the launching date, Microsoft will equip the initial models with classic DVD
> drives, and only after the new HD-DVD are ready, the Xbox will incorporate
> them.

Ok then. Thanks, Microsoft for telling me to buy a PS3 while you figure
out this HD-DVD thing...