Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Is it better to turn on DD-EX on non DD-EX DVDs?

Is it better to turn on DD-EX on non DD-EX DVDs?

chromallly@yahoo.com

Do you guys leave the Dolby Digital-EX on all the time or do you only
turn it on during movies that has DD-EX support? When I leave it on
all the time, my receiver somehow creates a sound for the rear center
speaker even if the movie doesn't have the DD-EX support.

Joshua Zyber

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Do you guys leave the Dolby Digital-EX on all the time or do you only
> turn it on during movies that has DD-EX support? When I leave it on
> all the time, my receiver somehow creates a sound for the rear center
> speaker even if the movie doesn't have the DD-EX support.

A lot of movies matrix well into a rear center surround even if the
movie was not specifically mixed for EX. I just leave it on all the time
as well.

The only danger is that if a movie has primarily monaural surround
activity from the left and right channels, the decoder may collapse the
entire rear soundstage into the center speaker. This is very rare,
however.

Sammy

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> Do you guys leave the Dolby Digital-EX on all the time or do you only
> turn it on during movies that has DD-EX support? When I leave it on
> all the time, my receiver somehow creates a sound for the rear center
> speaker even if the movie doesn't have the DD-EX support.

I leave it on all the time.

Al Jones

"Sammy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Do you guys leave the Dolby Digital-EX on all the time or do you only
>> turn it on during movies that has DD-EX support? When I leave it on
>> all the time, my receiver somehow creates a sound for the rear center
>> speaker even if the movie doesn't have the DD-EX support.

> I leave it on all the time.

Definitely leave it on.

What you are hearing is your receiver taking the mono signal from the
left/right surrounds and putting it through the center back, essentially
"synthesizing" an EX track.

Al Jones

Richard C.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Do you guys leave the Dolby Digital-EX on all the time or do you only
> turn it on during movies that has DD-EX support? When I leave it on
> all the time, my receiver somehow creates a sound for the rear center
> speaker even if the movie doesn't have the DD-EX support.

As mentioned in your other thread, I leave it on all the time.
Most EX discs do not have the flag set.