Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Are there receivers that could correctly detect Dolby Digital EX?

Are there receivers that could correctly detect Dolby Digital EX?

chromallly@yahoo.com

Every DVD with DD-EX I've encountered lack the flag for the receiver to
detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
detected successfully by your receiver?

NunYa Bidness

On 25 Jul 2005 02:25:25 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Gave us:

>Every DVD with DD-EX I've encountered lack the flag for the receiver to
>detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
>detected successfully by your receiver?

Are you passing it via the digital input? If yes, coax or optical?
Try both.

Sammy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
NunYa Bidness <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 25 Jul 2005 02:25:25 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) Gave us:
>
> >Every DVD with DD-EX I've encountered lack the flag for the receiver to
> >detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
> >detected successfully by your receiver?

> Are you passing it via the digital input? If yes, coax or optical?
> Try both.

Won't make any difference (coax vs optical). Many, if not most, DD-EX
DVDs don't have the flag set correctly and won't be detected by a
receiver capable of doing so. I have a few that do have the flag set
correctly and are detected. Dirty Dancing and Lord of the Rings-The Twin
Towers-Extended Version are correctly flagged and detected. Also Pirates
of the Caribbean.

Richard C.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Every DVD with DD-EX I've encountered lack the flag for the receiver to
> detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
> detected successfully by your receiver?

=====================================
It is not the receiver, it is the DVD manufacturer.
I finally set my Pioneer 49 to EX full time.
It then works correctly with EX discs and has no problem with 5.1 discs.

It ****ed me off when I discovered how few have the flag set properly.
===================================

Galley

On 25 Jul 2005 02:25:25 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) spewed forth these words of
wisdom:

>Every DVD with DD-EX I've encountered lack the flag for the receiver to
>detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
>detected successfully by your receiver?

My Sony STR-DE895 receiver has no problem picking up the EX channel.

Galley

Biz

No receiver will choose EX automatically if the DVD isnt flagged
correctly....this a dvd authoring problem, NOT a reciever problem.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Every DVD with DD-EX I've encountered lack the flag for the receiver to
> detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
> detected successfully by your receiver?

Joshua Zyber

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qQPFe.39553$(E-Mail Removed)...
> No receiver will choose EX automatically if the DVD isnt flagged
> correctly....

On the contrary, almost every 6.1 receiver has a mode that will allow
you to permanently engage EX decoding. There are many 5.1 discs that
matrix well into a surround rear channel when you turn on EX, even if
they weren't specifically mixed for it.

Richard C.

"Galley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 25 Jul 2005 02:25:25 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) spewed forth these
> words of
> wisdom:
>
>>Every DVD with DD-EX I've encountered lack the flag for the receiver to
>>detect. Have any of you encountered a DD-EX title that have been
>>detected successfully by your receiver?

> My Sony STR-DE895 receiver has no problem picking up the EX channel.

Are you sure?
If the flag is not on the DVD, then no receiver in the world can detect it.
That is why I just leave my Elite 49tx on 7.1.

Richard C.

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VcUFe.6027$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qQPFe.39553$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No receiver will choose EX automatically if the DVD isnt flagged
>> correctly....

> On the contrary, almost every 6.1 receiver has a mode that will allow you
> to permanently engage EX decoding. There are many 5.1 discs that matrix
> well into a surround rear channel when you turn on EX, even if they
> weren't specifically mixed for it.

Which is why he used the word "automatically".

Galley

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:51:13 -0700, "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed
forth these words of wisdom:

>Are you sure?
>If the flag is not on the DVD, then no receiver in the world can detect it.
>That is why I just leave my Elite 49tx on 7.1.

Well, the light comes on when I play EX discs.

Galley

neoDVD Dolby Digital Plug In DVD Video 1 12-24-2004 12:12 AM
Dolby Digital / DTS With creative Inspire digital 5700 and Audigy platnunim pro 2 Phill Hudson Computer Support 1 10-31-2004 11:08 PM
Dolby Digital problems Dan W DVD Video 1 10-05-2004 10:50 AM
DVDs with Dolby Digital intro? Grand Inquisitor DVD Video 4 03-01-2004 09:27 PM

Advertisments