Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD-DVD and DRM

HD-DVD and DRM

Allan

http://p2pnet.net/story/5679

p2pnet.net News View:- “Last week I wrote about the antitrust issues
raised by the use of encryption to ‘protect, content,” says professor
Ed Felten in his Freedom to Tinker blog.

Here, he gives a concrete example.

Read on >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

HD-DVD Requires Digital Imprimatur
By Edward Felten - Freedom to Tinker

HD-DVD, one of the two candidates for the next-gen DVD format, uses a
“content protection” technology called AACS. And AACS, it turns out,
requires a digital imprimatur on any content before it can be
published.

(The imprimatur — the term is Latin for “let it be printed” — was an
early technology of censorship. The original imprimatur was a stamp of
approval granted by a Catholic bishop to certify that a work was free
from doctrinal or moral error. In some times and places, it was
illegal to print a work that didn’t have an imprimatur. Today, the
term refers to any system in which a central entity must approve works
before they can be published.)

The technical details are in the AACS Pre-recorded Video Book
Specification. The digital imprimatur is called a “content
certificate” (see p. 5 for overview), and is created “at a secure
facility operated by [the AACS organization]” (p. 8 ). It is forbidden
to publish any work without an imprimatur, and player devices are
forbidden to play any work that lacks an imprimatur.

Like the original imprimatur, the AACS one can be revoked
retroactively. AACS calls this “content revocation”. Every disc that
is manufactured is required to carry an up-to-date list of revoked
works. Player devices are required to keep track of which works have
been revoked, and to refuse to play revoked works.

The AACS documents avoid giving a rationale for this feature. The
closest they come to a rationale is a statement that the system was
designed so that “[c]ompliant players can authenticate that content
came from an authorized, licensed replicator” (p. 1). But the system
as described does not seem designed for that goal — if it were, the
disc would be signed (and the signature possibly revoked) by the
replicator, not by the central AACS organization. Also, the actual
design replaces “can authenticate” by “must authenticate, and must
refuse to play if authentication fails”.

The goal of HD-DVD is to become the dominant format for release of
movies. If this happens, the HD-DVD/AACS imprimatur will be ripe for
anticompetitive abuses. Who will decide when the imprimatur will be
used, and how? Apparently it will be the AACS organization. We don’t
know how that organization is run, but we know that its founding
members are Disney, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba,
and Warner Brothers. A briefing on the AACS site explains the “AACS
Structure” by listing the founders.

I hope the antitrust authorities are watching this very closely. I
hope, too, that consumers are watching and will vote with their
dollars against this kind of system.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

WinField

I haven't been able to get this notion out of my head :

- the upcoming new HD_movie format(s) will see some SERIES efforts
by the movie moguls to eliminate copying\sharing by the little people

- i think these lock-down measures will initially succeed (which
will bring joy into the blind hearts of the hysterical TWATS in here
that absurdly compare copying/sharing movies to stealing TV's, cars et. al.)

This will dramatically delay the Joe-six_pack market penetration of
Hi-Definition movies. But just think what happiness will resound in
Hysterical-****-Town!

So be it. I'm guessing the movie studios won't mind - if you really
want that HD movie then buy it. You just bought that new HD-TV? Sucka,
you gonna pay thru the nose to enjoy the new format in all it's glory.

Regular DVD rentals/sales will continue to make new-kid HD format look
like a sick puppy.

just rambling
the future is not ours to see
- winf

Allan wrote:
> http://p2pnet.net/story/5679
>
> p2pnet.net News View:- “Last week I wrote about the antitrust issues
> raised by the use of encryption to ‘protect, content,” says professor
> Ed Felten in his Freedom to Tinker blog.
>
> Here, he gives a concrete example.
>
> Read on >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> HD-DVD Requires Digital Imprimatur
> By Edward Felten - Freedom to Tinker
>
> HD-DVD, one of the two candidates for the next-gen DVD format, uses a
> “content protection” technology called AACS. And AACS, it turns out,
> requires a digital imprimatur on any content before it can be
> published.
>
> (The imprimatur — the term is Latin for “let it be printed” — was an
> early technology of censorship. The original imprimatur was a stamp of
> approval granted by a Catholic bishop to certify that a work was free
> from doctrinal or moral error. In some times and places, it was
> illegal to print a work that didn’t have an imprimatur. Today, the
> term refers to any system in which a central entity must approve works
> before they can be published.)

Pat

WinField wrote:
> I haven't been able to get this notion out of my head :
>
> - the upcoming new HD_movie format(s) will see some SERIES efforts by
> the movie moguls to eliminate copying\sharing by the little people
>
> - i think these lock-down measures will initially succeed (which will
> bring joy into the blind hearts of the hysterical TWATS in here that
> absurdly compare copying/sharing movies to stealing TV's, cars et. al.)

My gut feeling is that we'll see a repeat of what happened with DVD. I
might be wrong, but I think it took about 2 years for someone to "break"
the DVD encryption schemes. This was in 1999 or so, and at the time,
copying DVDs was still unpractical. DVD burners, if they were even on
the market yet, were priced way too high for most users, and media was
hard to come by.

By the time HD-DVD-r technology becomes reliable and burners become
available at a cheap price, I think there will be workarounds. This
"imprimatur" technology sounds too impractical to work, and I'm sure
there will be imprimatur-free players available, just like there are
region-free players available now.

WinField

Pat wrote:
> WinField wrote:
>
>> I haven't been able to get this notion out of my head :
>>
>> - the upcoming new HD_movie format(s) will see some SERIES efforts
>> by the movie moguls to eliminate copying\sharing by the little people
>>
>> - i think these lock-down measures will initially succeed (which
>> will bring joy into the blind hearts of the hysterical TWATS in here
>> that absurdly compare copying/sharing movies to stealing TV's, cars
>> et. al.)
>>

> My gut feeling is that we'll see a repeat of what happened with DVD. I
> might be wrong, but I think it took about 2 years for someone to "break"
> the DVD encryption schemes. This was in 1999 or so, and at the time,
> copying DVDs was still unpractical. DVD burners, if they were even on
> the market yet, were priced way too high for most users, and media was
> hard to come by.
>
> By the time HD-DVD-r technology becomes reliable and burners become
> available at a cheap price, I think there will be workarounds. This
> "imprimatur" technology sounds too impractical to work, and I'm sure
> there will be imprimatur-free players available, just like there are
> region-free players available now.

I think there's a very good chance HiDef-DVD things will fall into place
as you describe, Pat.

Can the movie studios force the hardware manufacturers to install
satellite cards/phone jacks to authenticate that each playback of a
HD-dvd is kosher? This wouldn't go over well with me.

Also as mentioned by another poster, there will be a natural barrier to
swapping HD movies - SIZE. Downloading 11-30 gigs just for one flick
would require a lot of time. For ripping, processing even more harddisk
space and CPU time as well (format conversion).

looking forward to see what I can see,
winfield