Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "UK Edition" Battlestar DVDs?

"UK Edition" Battlestar DVDs?

Jordan

Best Buy has the Battlestar Season 1 DVD set listed as being an
"exclusive UK edition". ?Huh? Anyone know what the difference is
between the 13 episodes in the US and the UK?

(Still getting it for the bonus Serenity DVD.)

Allan

Keep an eye here:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=7080

On 24 Jul 2005 14:39:30 -0700, "Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Best Buy has the Battlestar Season 1 DVD set listed as being an
>"exclusive UK edition". ?Huh? Anyone know what the difference is
>between the 13 episodes in the US and the UK?
>
>(Still getting it for the bonus Serenity DVD.)

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

TSKO

Go to digitalbits.com and get the scoop

"Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Best Buy has the Battlestar Season 1 DVD set listed as being an
> "exclusive UK edition". ?Huh? Anyone know what the difference is
> between the 13 episodes in the US and the UK?
>
> (Still getting it for the bonus Serenity DVD.)

Jordan

I'm aware that Digital Bits talks about the difference in bonus
material. I'm more interested in any difference in the episodes
themselves.

- Jordan

Justin

Jordan wrote on [24 Jul 2005 14:39:30 -0700]:
> Best Buy has the Battlestar Season 1 DVD set listed as being an
> "exclusive UK edition". ?Huh? Anyone know what the difference is
> between the 13 episodes in the US and the UK?
>
> (Still getting it for the bonus Serenity DVD.)

Different opening music

Earl Grieda

"Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm aware that Digital Bits talks about the difference in bonus
> material. I'm more interested in any difference in the episodes
> themselves.

I think someone said the September US release will include deleted scenes.
The question is will the deleted scenes be shown as part of the episode, or
just as a standalone deleted scene included on another disc. If they are
just short distinct scenes and not part of the episode then they are
essentially useless.

jayembee

"Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Best Buy has the Battlestar Season 1 DVD set listed as being an
> "exclusive UK edition". ?Huh? Anyone know what the difference is
> between the 13 episodes in the US and the UK?
>
> (Still getting it for the bonus Serenity DVD.)

There's nothing notably different about the episodes themselves. Slight
differences in the theme music (Sci Fi took out the choral bits when airing the
episodes in the US; they appear to have added them back in for the new
season). There were some slight edits made to at least one early episode when
it aired in the UK, but the DVD is uncut.

Anyway, as far as I know, Universal's Region 1 DVD set will feature the original
theme music rather than Sci Fi's edited version.

I'm not sure if this is the reason why Best Buy refers to this release as the
"UK Edition", but it appears that their release is an exact duplicate of the R2
release (except for the region-code and being NTSC instead of PAL).
Universal's wider release in September will have much more extensive extras.

-- jayembee

Justin

Earl Grieda wrote on [Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:31:05 GMT]:

> "Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> I'm aware that Digital Bits talks about the difference in bonus
>> material. I'm more interested in any difference in the episodes
>> themselves.
>>

> I think someone said the September US release will include deleted scenes.
> The question is will the deleted scenes be shown as part of the episode, or
> just as a standalone deleted scene included on another disc. If they are
> just short distinct scenes and not part of the episode then they are
> essentially useless.

Deleted scenes are rarely useless, and can be quite insightful

Raymond Feist

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, jayembee
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Best Buy has the Battlestar Season 1 DVD set listed as being an
> > "exclusive UK edition". ?Huh? Anyone know what the difference is
> > between the 13 episodes in the US and the UK?
> >
> > (Still getting it for the bonus Serenity DVD.)

> There's nothing notably different about the episodes themselves. Slight
> differences in the theme music (Sci Fi took out the choral bits when airing
> the
> episodes in the US; they appear to have added them back in for the new
> season). There were some slight edits made to at least one early episode when
> it aired in the UK, but the DVD is uncut.
>
> Anyway, as far as I know, Universal's Region 1 DVD set will feature the
> original
> theme music rather than Sci Fi's edited version.
>
> I'm not sure if this is the reason why Best Buy refers to this release as the
> "UK Edition", but it appears that their release is an exact duplicate of the
> R2
> release (except for the region-code and being NTSC instead of PAL).
> Universal's wider release in September will have much more extensive extras.

It's a promotional deal between NBC-Universal and Best Buy. It's
basically what you said, an NTSC dump of the original PAL masters
without any other significant changes. Best Buy is engineering as many
of these deals as possible, trying to become "the" place to get early
releases of shows and movies. So, the reason it's the "UK version,"
is because every other major retailer, i.e. Amazon, Good Guys, Sam
Goodies, Circuit City, etc. would howl if NBC-Universal shipped a
domestic product to Best Buys for 30 days. Look for Best Buy to do the
same thing later this year with the DVD of the ten-year-old show,
Space: Above and Beyond. I believe they will have it for 30 days
before everyone else gets to sell it.

Best, R.E.F.

Michael Walker

"Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm aware that Digital Bits talks about the difference in bonus
> material. I'm more interested in any difference in the episodes
> themselves.
>
> - Jordan

Same here. If the episodes themselves are going to have exactly the same
footage, no need to wait unless you really want to have the bonus stuff.