Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Online DVD Collector Tool

Online DVD Collector Tool

dustinr

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some feedback on a project that I have been working on.
I had seen some software out there that lets you use a CueCat or
barcode reader to scan the UPC codes on your DVDs into a database, it
then goes out and collects information from IMDB and other sources and
would generate some HTML for you to put on your personal website or
something. I'm trying to make a web application that does something
similar. So far it seems to do what I want, but I have not tried to
break it yet or found very many people to test it.

Check it out at: http://publiccollection.com and let me know what you
think.. or if there is anything that I can add that the DVD community
would like to see.

Thanks in advance!

Galley

On 22 Jul 2005 14:02:29 -0700, "dustinr" <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed forth these
words of wisdom:

>Hey guys,
>
>I'm looking for some feedback on a project that I have been working on.
>I had seen some software out there that lets you use a CueCat or
>barcode reader to scan the UPC codes on your DVDs into a database, it
>then goes out and collects information from IMDB and other sources and
>would generate some HTML for you to put on your personal website or
>something. I'm trying to make a web application that does something
>similar. So far it seems to do what I want, but I have not tried to
>break it yet or found very many people to test it.
>
>Check it out at: http://publiccollection.com and let me know what you
>think.. or if there is anything that I can add that the DVD community
>would like to see.
>
>Thanks in advance!

That's already been done by http://www.dvdloc8.com/
And is one of the many features that DVD Profiler offers.
http://www.intervocative.com/dvdpro/Info.aspx

My collection: http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/GALLEY

Galley

Joceanne

Also, Guzzlefish.com is a great free catalog tool, which also lets you
catalog your cds: http://www.guzzlefish.com

dustinr

Galley,

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of DVD Profiler, that is one of the
applications that I wanted publiccollection.com to be similar to. DVD
Profiler is a commercial windows-only application though,
publiccollection.com will be free and should work with any OS as long
as they have a web browser that supports javascript.

I was not aware of dvdloc8.com, I will have to check it out. The type
of feedback I was looking for from the dvd collector community was more
concerning features, what sort of things can I add that will be useful
and make publiccollection.com stand out among similar sites? At first
glance it doesn't look like the existing dvd collection sites will let
you use a cuecat for scanning in barcodes, this was one feature that I
thought collectors would find very useful, as cuecats were barcode
readers given away for free a few years ago.

So if anyone else has a suggestion for me, I'm all ears!

Greg

I'm assuming that it's limited to US discs?

I was unable to get it to recognise the codes on any of my DVDs from
here in Australia.

Greg

> So if anyone else has a suggestion for me, I'm all ears!

dustinr

Greg,

You are correct, publiccollection.com uses Amazon's REST API to
retrieve movie data based on UPC, unfortunately it looks like the
ItemLookup function only allows UPC lookups for US items. I will have
to look into how I can get this to work for non-US users. Thanks for
your reply!