Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > PowerDVD won't playback

PowerDVD won't playback

higgledy

If I am logged in as Administrator PowerDVD plays DVDs fine.

If I am logged in using a regular "Users" account PowerDVD will launch,
show the PowerDVD screen, When I hit play the screen turns black, shows
a green "play" flickers and then returns to the PowerDVD Splash Screen.

Cyberlink Support has told me that PowerDVD is not supported and will
not play when not logged in as Administrator. This seems like B.S.

This is my system:
HP xw8000
Xeon 3.06GHz
Sony DVD DRU-510A
Nvidia Quadro4 980 XGL
1Gb+ RAM

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Phil

Steve(JazzHunter)

On 22 Jul 2005 13:01:34 -0700, "higgledy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If I am logged in as Administrator PowerDVD plays DVDs fine.
>
>If I am logged in using a regular "Users" account PowerDVD will launch,
>show the PowerDVD screen, When I hit play the screen turns black, shows
>a green "play" flickers and then returns to the PowerDVD Splash Screen.
>
>Cyberlink Support has told me that PowerDVD is not supported and will
>not play when not logged in as Administrator. This seems like B.S.
>
>This is my system:
>HP xw8000
>Xeon 3.06GHz
>Sony DVD DRU-510A
>Nvidia Quadro4 980 XGL
>1Gb+ RAM
>
>Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Phil

Well I'm sure you've tried uninstalling PowerDVD then reinstalling it
as a user. Does the "user" have a different screen size than
administrator, maybe it's PowerDVD 4 which doesn't support two
displays, and you're using that.

... Steve ..

Stan Brown

wrote:

>Cyberlink Support has told me that PowerDVD is not supported and will
>not play when not logged in as Administrator. This seems like B.S.

I agree. It sounds like "We're grasping at a straw to avoid
supporting you."

FWIW, PowerDVD plays fine for me when I'm logged in as limited user.

Did you install it yourself or was it pre-installed? Maybe there's a
permission issue with one or more DLLs? I'm adding a.v.d.software to
the Newsgroups: line, as the folks there are more likely to know the
answer.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Biz

"higgledy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> If I am logged in as Administrator PowerDVD plays DVDs fine.
>
> If I am logged in using a regular "Users" account PowerDVD will launch,
> show the PowerDVD screen, When I hit play the screen turns black, shows
> a green "play" flickers and then returns to the PowerDVD Splash Screen.
>
> Cyberlink Support has told me that PowerDVD is not supported and will
> not play when not logged in as Administrator. This seems like B.S.
>
> This is my system:
> HP xw8000
> Xeon 3.06GHz
> Sony DVD DRU-510A
> Nvidia Quadro4 980 XGL
> 1Gb+ RAM
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil

Most importantly, what version of PowerDVD, and what OS? This sounds like a
server machine....

Howard

Stan Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 22 Jul 2005 13:01:34 -0700, "higgledy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Cyberlink Support has told me that PowerDVD is not supported and will
>>not play when not logged in as Administrator. This seems like B.S.

> I agree. It sounds like "We're grasping at a straw to avoid
> supporting you."

I disagree. It sounds like OP is excluding information, perhaps in an
attempt to work up rage against an innocent company. Why? Don't know.

Do I believe for one second Cyberlink said they do not support PowerDVD?
Nope. I find it FAR more likely OP is using an older, unsupported,
possibly did not even work under XP in the first place, version. Getting
told that "PowerDVD 2.0 is not supported" is not the same as getting told
"PowerDVD is not supported" although some insist otherwise. Usually,
people who don't want to pay for the latest version.

If anything, worst case scenario seems to be that Cyberlink got a request
for support that said "your software works perfectly fine, just not in the
configuration I want" and replied "then use it in the configuration that
works". Right or wrong, this IS a common theme in tech support.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.

Stan Brown

On 23 Jul 2005 12:16:26 GMT, Howard <stile99@email..com> wrote:

>Stan Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On 22 Jul 2005 13:01:34 -0700, "higgledy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Cyberlink Support has told me that PowerDVD is not supported and will
>>>not play when not logged in as Administrator. This seems like B.S.

>> I agree. It sounds like "We're grasping at a straw to avoid
>> supporting you."

>I disagree. It sounds like OP is excluding information, perhaps in an
>attempt to work up rage against an innocent company. Why? Don't know.
>
>If anything, worst case scenario seems to be that Cyberlink got a request
>for support that said "your software works perfectly fine, just not in the
>configuration I want" and replied "then use it in the configuration that
>works". Right or wrong, this IS a common theme in tech support.

I would agree with you, IF it was an admin-type application. But
playing videos? Gimme a break! For a company to say you have to be
logged in as administrator to play videos -- well, yes, that's BS.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

higgledy

I am running XP Pro on an HP xw8200. This is an HP workstation grade PC
with two Xeon CPUs.
It was preinstalled with PowerDVD 4.0 XP, it ran when logged in as a
User or as an Admin.
We re-imaged all of our machines to quickly install the company's (were
I work) standard software, which runs on Win XP Pro. There are no other
significant changes in our image from the pre-installed image to
explain our PowerDVD issue.

Attached is the Cyberlink support thread for your viewing pleasure:

Welcome to the CyberLink Online Support system status page. From this
page you can check the current status of your customer support inquiry.

While we truly appreciate a 'Thank You' note from you, this is not
necessary, as we just are doing our job. Therefore, please only reply
to the agent's response if you still have an unresolved issue.
Inquiry Information
Question ID CS000273549
Customer Support vcsupriya
Last login time 2005/07/25 06:40
First login time 2005/07/21 11:57
Product PowerDVD

Was your problem solved?

Philip Palmer Asked 2005/07/22 09:33
running PowerDVD as user
Dear vcsupriya:

You stated that you need to be
administrator to run PowerDVD. This is
absolutly incorrect. I have run this
program (trial download) on a
different machine (same brand & model)
as administrator and as a user.

Can you elevate my support ticket to a
developer?

Also, feel free to call me at removed telephone number
vcsupriya Reply 2005/07/22 11:16
Dear Philip,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Support.

In this regard, let me inform you that we recommend our customers to be
the administrator of the computer if they want to use the PowerDVD
software. And if it works when they login as a user, we do not support
that because it rarely works in some cases only.

We've passed this to our R&D team for further analysis. At this moment,
we would appreciate your patience and understanding of this matter, and
would inform you immediately when we obtain a solution to release.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification in
this issue or for any assistance related to Cyberlink Products.

Thank You and Best Regards

Philip Palmer Asked 2005/07/21 14:32
Access Permissions
These are my mods:
1. As Administrator, I set all files
at c:\Program Files\Cyberlink to
Everyone Full Access using xcacls.exe.

This did not work.

2. I then launched regedt32.exe. Under
HKEY Local Machine/Software, I right-
clicked on Cyberlink key and gave
Users Full Control.

This did not work, either.

3. BTW, do I really only have a trial
license? I did download 1 trial for
testing, but I am having this problem
with an OEM version that was pre-
installed on an HP xw8200.copy.

Phil

vcsupriya Reply 2005/07/22 08:46
Dear Philip,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Support.

Regarding this issue, I regret to inform you that it will work only
when you login as administrator.

PowerDVD is made for stand alone computers and it will work only when
you login in as administrator.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification in
this issue or for any assistance related to Cyberlink Products.

Thank You and Best Regards

Philip Palmer Asked 2005/07/21 11:57
PowerDVD only plays when logged in as Admin
We bought an HP xw8200 computer that
came with PowerDVD pre-installed.
Recently we upgraded/rebuilt the hard
drive. Afterward I reinstall PowerDVD,
it would playback only when logged in
as Administrator.

This is running on Dual-Xeon
Processors.
vcsupriya Reply 2005/07/21 12:45
Dear Philip,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Customer Support.

Regarding your issue please follow the steps suggested below:

Please check the user profiles and provide specific access rights for
such specific applications (not only for the program icon on the
desktop of each users). The access rights should be given to all users
to access the main folder where PowerDVD software is installed and also
to the program file on the desktop.
Please contact System Administrator if such activities are handled by
any other administrator.

There is no specific fix, the PowerDVD will play properly only when it
has full access rights to the complete application and that is the
reason that it plays seamlessly when logged in as Administrator user.
You may face such issues when using the PowerDVD in such user / network
environment.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification in
this issue or for any assistance related to Cyberlink products.

Thank you and best regards

higgledy

Who is OP?

Jeff Rife

Stan Brown ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> I would agree with you, IF it was an admin-type application. But
> playing videos? Gimme a break! For a company to say you have to be
> logged in as administrator to play videos -- well, yes, that's BS.

There is an registry key that DirectX writes to for "debugging" purposes
whenever any app initializes DirectX. If you don't have Admin equivalence,
you can't write to this key and DirectX returns a failure code to the calling
program, although everything but the registry write worked.

There are some programs that won't continue if they get a failure code from
DirectX, and they die because of exactly this issue.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Peanuts/TenPin.gif

Jeff Rife

higgledy ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> Who is OP?

"OP" == "original poster"

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/Olympics.gif

powerdvd 6.0 Problems JR Computer Support 1 08-01-2005 11:46 PM
PowerDvd 6 problems Pancho Claus Computer Support 0 07-12-2005 11:02 PM
powerdvd question Smooth Operator Computer Support 1 06-19-2005 03:47 AM
PowerDVD 6.0 JR Computer Support 0 06-04-2005 03:19 AM
display all garbled when hardware accelaration selected on Powerdvd 4 xp gururin Computer Support 3 11-27-2003 09:14 PM

Advertisments