Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > how to combat piracy in the dvd market

how to combat piracy in the dvd market

alejandro de tacobell

maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
with a mini-dvd decoder disc.

so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
the mini-disc. when you press 'open' two separate trays will open up.
and, the dvd can only be played WITH the mini-disc that comes included
with it. and, make sure the decoder disc is extremely hard to copy
with any hardware. it'd be a jumble of codes that works only with the
dvd it came with.

this way, it'll be far more complex to copy dvds and pirate them.

Mark W

"alejandro de tacobell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
> with a mini-dvd decoder disc.

'They' could make a system whereby you have to phone up the movie studio
when you want to watch a DVD. Then they send someone round with a copy of
the DVD you want to watch, they sit with you while you watch it, then take
it away again afterwards. If you acted suspiciously whilst the movie was
playing they could arrest you.

Mike O'Sullivan

alejandro de tacobell wrote:
> and, make sure the decoder disc is extremely hard to copy
> with any hardware.

I'd give it two weeks!

Peter McLelland

"Mike O'Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> alejandro de tacobell wrote:
> > and, make sure the decoder disc is extremely hard to copy
> > with any hardware.

> I'd give it two weeks!A far better solution is just to cut the retail

price, sales will go up and piracy will fall. There will always be a
hardcore who will cheat, but the real key is to get the volume up so that
the discs can be sold at low prices yet still make the same return for the
studios etc.

Copy protection just raises costs and as pointed out is a challenge easily
overcome by the very people who cause the problem. Lower costs in the market
will cut the demand for copies and increase the demand for the real thing.

Peter

Kimba W. Lion

On 20 Jul 2005 02:03:00 -0700, "alejandro de tacobell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
>with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
>
>so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
>the mini-disc.

Hmmm.. Close to double the manufacturing costs for each movie, and the
need for everyone to buy new hardware (also at close to twice the
manufacturing cost).

Yeah, that'll work.

bllbickel

Kimba W. Lion wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2005 02:03:00 -0700, "alejandro de tacobell"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
> >with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
> >
> >so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
> >the mini-disc.

> Hmmm.. Close to double the manufacturing costs for each movie, and the
> need for everyone to buy new hardware (also at close to twice the
> manufacturing cost).
>
> Yeah, that'll work.

And the pirates will find a way around it anyway, leaving only
legitimate DVD-buyers inconvenienced.

Bill Bickel
http://www.comicsidontunderstand.com
http://www.missing-kids.us
http://mysterybooks.allinfoabout.com

bllbickel

alejandro de tacobell wrote:
> maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
> with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
>
> so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
> the mini-disc. when you press 'open' two separate trays will open up.
> and, the dvd can only be played WITH the mini-disc that comes included
> with it. and, make sure the decoder disc is extremely hard to copy
> with any hardware. it'd be a jumble of codes that works only with the
> dvd it came with.
>
> this way, it'll be far more complex to copy dvds and pirate them.

An easier plan: If DVDs cost no more than, say, a paperback book (which
would still allow for a healthy profit margin and make sense in a
hardcover/paperback theatrical run/DVD sort of way), sales volume would
increase AND it wouldn't be worth anybody's effort to copy them.

Bill Bickel
http://www.comicsidontunderstand.com
http://www.missing-kids.us
http://mysterybooks.allinfoabout.com

ANIM8Rfsk

in article 42de1de7$(E-Mail Removed), Mark W at s@o wrote
on 7/20/05 2:48 AM:

> "alejandro de tacobell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
>> with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
>>

> 'They' could make a system whereby you have to phone up the movie studio
> when you want to watch a DVD. Then they send someone round with a copy of
> the DVD you want to watch, they sit with you while you watch it, then take
> it away again afterwards. If you acted suspiciously whilst the movie was
> playing they could arrest you.

I bet the viewing companion would smoke and talk on their cell phone while
you tried to watch.

ANIM8Rfsk

in article 1121868334.b25c79a27c776dab2e5b6da697eeae56@terane ws, Kimba W.
Lion at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 7/20/05 7:05 AM:

> On 20 Jul 2005 02:03:00 -0700, "alejandro de tacobell"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
>> with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
>>
>> so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
>> the mini-disc.

> Hmmm.. Close to double the manufacturing costs for each movie,

Why? The movies aren't going to come both ways. If they did, you wouldn't
need a dual tray player. The studios are gonna line up with one system or
another, and you'll have to choose who's movies you want more.

and the
> need for everyone to buy new hardware

That's gonna happen no matter what.

(also at close to twice the
> manufacturing cost).
>
> Yeah, that'll work.

(PeteCresswell)

Per alejandro de tacobell:
>maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
>with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
>
>so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
>the mini-disc. when you press 'open' two separate trays will open up.
>and, the dvd can only be played WITH the mini-disc that comes included
>with it. and, make sure the decoder disc is extremely hard to copy
>with any hardware. it'd be a jumble of codes that works only with the
>dvd it came with.
>
>this way, it'll be far more complex to copy dvds and pirate them.

A devil's advocate strawman: I could see a system like that actually increasing
illegal copying.

Maybe this is a stretch, but personally I'm about *that* far from buying illegal
copies instead of legit DVDs just because of the PITA factor of scrabbling off
all those security stickers and having to sit through the Stern Warnings,
trailers, and other BS just to see a movie that I've paid for. It's not the
money, it's the PITA factor.

Actually, factor #2 is resolved now, since somebody gave me a DVD player with a
"Direct Play" button. Not only is it region-insensitive, but pressing
DirectPlay just jumps past all the BS and starts the Main Movie.

I don't know what the real answer is. Certainly the publishers have a
legitimate and pressing problem. But it seems like making me jump though more
hoops on the assumption that I'm taking the low road is going to increase the
probability that I do just that.
--
PeteCresswell

Re: Micoshaft market share drops to 0% for distributed OS Desktop Market overnight Simon Finnigan Computer Support 0 03-03-2010 04:51 PM
Combat on DVD Larry B DVD Video 5 06-08-2004 11:05 PM
Bush: please land on another aircraft carrier and end the combat (again) qwerty Digital Photography 5 04-09-2004 08:12 AM
Military Combat Simulations & Games with VRML/X3d and optimized solutions P. Flavin Java 1 09-12-2003 06:42 PM

Advertisments