Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > MGM DVD Settlement - anyone get anything?

MGM DVD Settlement - anyone get anything?

PenGuhWin

Months ago, I mailed in a half dozen or so discs in the MGM DVD
settlement, and haven't heard a word (much less received any
replacement discs). It seems the settlement was approved in May... has
anyone received any replacement discs from MGM?

The Man Behind The Curtain

PenGuhWin wrote:
> Months ago, I mailed in a half dozen or so discs in the MGM DVD
> settlement, and haven't heard a word (much less received any
> replacement discs). It seems the settlement was approved in May... has
> anyone received any replacement discs from MGM?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Yeah, right.

John

Tarkus

On 7/15/2005 6:23:58 AM, PenGuhWin wrote:

> Months ago, I mailed in a half dozen or so discs in the MGM DVD
> settlement, and haven't heard a word (much less received any
> replacement discs). It seems the settlement was approved in May... has
> anyone received any replacement discs from MGM?

Was that the one that was simply about packaging being slightly
misleading?
--
"There Is No Gene For The Human Spirit."

Now playing: the radio.

frankb@sonic.net

PenGuhWin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
} Months ago, I mailed in a half dozen or so discs in the MGM DVD
} settlement, and haven't heard a word (much less received any
} replacement discs). It seems the settlement was approved in May... has
} anyone received any replacement discs from MGM?

I returned one disk. I haven't gotten anything either.
I did some web searching and found no news since the settlement in May.

--

Frank Ball http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

JMK

I talked to them a couple of days ago. The settlement has been
approved. You should get your refund checks and/or replacement DVDs by
the end of August at the latest. As I posted here in some detail
months ago, this case was NOT (simply) about mislabelled or
misleadlingly described DVDs. There were DVDs with incorrect aspect
ratios manufactured.

The Truth About Frances Farmer:
http://hometown.aol.com/jmkauffman/sheddinglight.html

3W

"PenGuhWin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:150720050923589409%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Months ago, I mailed in a half dozen or so discs in the MGM DVD
> settlement, and haven't heard a word (much less received any
> replacement discs). It seems the settlement was approved in May... has
> anyone received any replacement discs from MGM?

I hope it was sent as certified mail.

PenGuhWin

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, JMK
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I talked to them a couple of days ago. The settlement has been
> approved. You should get your refund checks and/or replacement DVDs by
> the end of August at the latest. As I posted here in some detail
> months ago, this case was NOT (simply) about mislabelled or
> misleadlingly described DVDs. There were DVDs with incorrect aspect
> ratios manufactured.
>
> The Truth About Frances Farmer:
> http://hometown.aol.com/jmkauffman/sheddinglight.html

Thank you for the update .

Jay G.

On 15 Jul 2005 13:25:51 -0700, JMK wrote:

> I talked to them a couple of days ago. The settlement has been
> approved. You should get your refund checks and/or replacement DVDs by
> the end of August at the latest. As I posted here in some detail
> months ago, this case was NOT (simply) about mislabelled or
> misleadlingly described DVDs. There were DVDs with incorrect aspect
> ratios manufactured.

None had an incorrect aspect ratio (unless you're counting the 4x3
version). All the DVDs were correctly framed for widescreen, showing the
full and correct theatrical image.

-Jay

JMK

Sorry, you're incorrect, at least from the information the lawfirm
provided to me. Among the defective product referenced in this suit
was a "letterboxed" (I assume 1:66--I got a correct edition) framing of
the 1940 "Thief of Bagdad," which I will assume you know was never in
that aspect ratio. There were also several that should have been at
least 1:78 but got 1:66's instead. The woman I spoke with several
times was quite knowledgeable and had a complete breakdown of which
DVDs had been released with incorrect aspect ratios. The one question
she couldn't answer is why there are a couple of non-MGM DVDs on the
list (notably, "Chocolat").

The Truth About Frances Farmer:
http://hometown.aol.com/jmkauffman/sheddinglight.html

PenGuhWin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jay G.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> None had an incorrect aspect ratio (unless you're counting the 4x3
> version). All the DVDs were correctly framed for widescreen, showing the
> full and correct theatrical image.
>
> -Jay

Again - wrong. "Yellow Submarine" was cropped from full-frame to create
an artificial widescreen version.