Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blu-ray better than HD-DVD. Claim

Blu-ray better than HD-DVD. Claim

Allan

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24588

Blu-ray better than HD-DVD. Claim

Poll position

By INQUIRER staff: Wednesday 13 July 2005, 11:22
THE BLU-RAY Disc Association (BDA) has commissioned a survey which
shows - quite probably to no-one's surprise - that consumers
"overwhelmingly prefer Blu-Ray Disc" as their future format of choice.

The association, which we'd say has a stake in this particular piece
of real estate, said a poll conducted by firm Penn Schoen and Berland
showed 58 per cent of 1,200 consumers preferred Blu-Ray Disc, 26 per
cent didn't know which they preferred, while 15 per cent preferred
Toshiba-driven HD DVD.

How did the people make their choice? The BDA said they were given a
side by side comparison of the two formats and supplied with info
including tech company support, Hollywood studio support, gaming
console support, disk capacity, film title availability and launch
dates.

The BDA's members include Sony, Apple, Dell, HP, Hitachi, Panasonic,
Philips and TDK.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

RichA

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:54:13 -0400, Allan
<(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote:

>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24588
>
>Blu-ray better than HD-DVD. Claim
>
>Poll position
>
>By INQUIRER staff: Wednesday 13 July 2005, 11:22
>THE BLU-RAY Disc Association (BDA) has commissioned a survey which
>shows - quite probably to no-one's surprise - that consumers
>"overwhelmingly prefer Blu-Ray Disc" as their future format of choice.
>
>The association, which we'd say has a stake in this particular piece
>of real estate, said a poll conducted by firm Penn Schoen and Berland
>showed 58 per cent of 1,200 consumers preferred Blu-Ray Disc, 26 per
>cent didn't know which they preferred, while 15 per cent preferred
>Toshiba-driven HD DVD.

Factor out the dumbasses who voted blu-ray because it was "bigger"
(can you imagine how they had to word this to get through to the
stupid public??!) and the tables would probably show 80% didn't know
which one to support.
-Rich

>How did the people make their choice? The BDA said they were given a
>side by side comparison of the two formats and supplied with info
>including tech company support, Hollywood studio support, gaming
>console support, disk capacity, film title availability and launch
>dates.
>
>The BDA's members include Sony, Apple, Dell, HP, Hitachi, Panasonic,
>Philips and TDK.
>

>"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
>because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
>-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
>- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Alpha

Blu-Ray is also a sexier moniker and conjures up in the current generations
the Star Wars metaphors of light sabers, etc.

Tarkus

On 7/13/2005 12:47:02 PM, Alpha wrote:

> Blu-Ray is also a sexier moniker and conjures up in the current
> generations the Star Wars metaphors of light sabers, etc.

But HD-DVD sounds more like an extension of the current DVD format, and
therefore, a more logical, and less risky, successor.
--
"I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody. Mmm."

Now playing: "Mahogany Rush - Crossroads"

The Man Behind The Curtain

Alpha wrote:
> Blu-Ray is also a sexier moniker and conjures up in the current generations
> the Star Wars metaphors of light sabers, etc.

Blu-Ray makes me think of Blu-tooth, and Blu-tooth makes me think of a
dorky cartoon fish, actually....

John

RichA

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:14:55 -0700, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 7/13/2005 12:47:02 PM, Alpha wrote:
>
>> Blu-Ray is also a sexier moniker and conjures up in the current
>> generations the Star Wars metaphors of light sabers, etc.

>But HD-DVD sounds more like an extension of the current DVD format, and
>therefore, a more logical, and less risky, successor.

It also didn't need new production techniques and CADDIES.
Oh sorry, I forgot; Blu-Ray has a new coating that won't
scratch. Right.

Mark Spatny

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:50:22 GMT, The Man Behind The Curtain
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Blu-Ray makes me think of Blu-tooth, and Blu-tooth makes me think of a
>dorky cartoon fish, actually....

Blu-tooth makes *me* think of a dorky sales dweeb wearing a
7-of-9-like cell phone earpiece.

Allan

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:48:31 -0400, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It also didn't need new production techniques and CADDIES.
>Oh sorry, I forgot; Blu-Ray has a new coating that won't
>scratch. Right.

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.10

1.10 Will Blu-ray discs require a cartridge?

No, the development of new cost-effective hard-coating technologies
has made the cartridge obsolete. Blu-ray will instead rely on
hard-coating for protection, which when applied will make the discs
even more resistant to scratches and fingerprints than todays DVDs,
while still preserving the same look and feel. The adoption of
hard-coating will also allow manufacturers to downsize players/drives
and lower their overall media production costs.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Alpha

"Allan" <(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:48:31 -0400, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>It also didn't need new production techniques and CADDIES.
>>Oh sorry, I forgot; Blu-Ray has a new coating that won't
>>scratch. Right.

> http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.10
>
> 1.10 Will Blu-ray discs require a cartridge?
>
> No, the development of new cost-effective hard-coating technologies
> has made the cartridge obsolete. Blu-ray will instead rely on
> hard-coating for protection, which when applied will make the discs
> even more resistant to scratches and fingerprints than todays DVDs,
> while still preserving the same look and feel. The adoption of
> hard-coating will also allow manufacturers to downsize players/drives

There is not a single production machine, and only a few demo machines and
discs, that confirm the ability of Blu-ray to be without the cartridge.

Wait for some evidence. Blu-ray and DVD HD are both dealing with hyperbole.
Let's see some production and results before analysis!

RichA

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:33:55 -0400, Allan
<(E-Mail Removed) t> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:48:31 -0400, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>It also didn't need new production techniques and CADDIES.
>>Oh sorry, I forgot; Blu-Ray has a new coating that won't
>>scratch. Right.

>http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.10
>
>1.10 Will Blu-ray discs require a cartridge?
>
>No, the development of new cost-effective hard-coating technologies
>has made the cartridge obsolete. Blu-ray will instead rely on
>hard-coating for protection, which when applied will make the discs
>even more resistant to scratches and fingerprints than todays DVDs,
>while still preserving the same look and feel. The adoption of
>hard-coating will also allow manufacturers to downsize players/drives
>and lower their overall media production costs.

Lower than what, HD-DVD? Sorry, I'm not buying it.
If companies go HD, they can release $500 machines right away.
If they go blu-ray, machines will cost $1000 each in the beginning.
BTW; The Japanese apparently have blu-ray recorders.
Are there NO pictures of these caddyless discs out there?
They must be using something?
-Rich