Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > WAAAAY OFF TOPIC... but funny.

WAAAAY OFF TOPIC... but funny.

Lookingglass

It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back door open
(for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to keep the cat in. I
was
in the bedroom watching something on the TV... when the cat comes barreling
into the room... she leaps onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on
end... staring at the bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!!
someone's come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the kitchen
(I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by the cat's food
bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol' raccoon gnawing on the cat's
goodies... he looks at me like he owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty
digital camera and got some great shots to show the folks at work... he was
after all a friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to
pet him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...! Then I
quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the back screen door...
the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat is "antsy" and she's pacing
back and forth... I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight!

This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this city-boy
it's pretty exciting.

OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you do................

dave... www.Shemakhan.com

Dana Hill

"Lookingglass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back door open
> (for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to keep the cat in. I
> was
> in the bedroom watching something on the TV... when the cat comes
> barreling
> into the room... she leaps onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on
> end... staring at the bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!!
> someone's come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the
> kitchen
> (I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by the cat's food
> bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol' raccoon gnawing on the
> cat's
> goodies... he looks at me like he owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty
> digital camera and got some great shots to show the folks at work... he
> was
> after all a friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to
> pet him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...! Then I
> quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the back screen door...
> the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat is "antsy" and she's pacing
> back and forth... I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight!
>
> This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this city-boy
> it's pretty exciting.
>
> OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you do................

I suppose that Gainesville is essentially wilderness compared to San
Francisco, but, for what it's worth, I, too, had contact with a raccoon
yesterday. I was driving across campus, and it went racing across the two
lane road from a horse pasture to a marshy lake. It's a good thing the
speed limit is 20mph campus-wide.

I am impressed that you feel safe enough to sleep with your back door open.
A mighty fortress is my house.

--

Dana Hill
Gainesville, Florida

Brodieman

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:46:43 -0700, Lookingglass wrote:

> It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back door open
> (for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to keep the cat in. I
> was
> in the bedroom watching something on the TV... when the cat comes barreling
> into the room... she leaps onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on
> end... staring at the bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!!
> someone's come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the kitchen
> (I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by the cat's food
> bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol' raccoon gnawing on the cat's
> goodies... he looks at me like he owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty
> digital camera and got some great shots to show the folks at work... he was
> after all a friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to
> pet him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...! Then I
> quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the back screen door...
> the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat is "antsy" and she's pacing
> back and forth... I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight!
>
> This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this city-boy
> it's pretty exciting.
>
> OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you do................
>

> dave... www.Shemakhan.com

The same thing happens to me here in South East England, but with badgers
instead =/
My cat is no match for those ****ers

abachrach@att.net

we have possums in Brooklyn (NYC).... they are nocturnal so we have to
take in the food at night. Never see them in the day

AB

Lookingglass wrote:
> It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back door open
> (for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to keep the cat in. I
> was
> in the bedroom watching something on the TV... when the cat comes barreling
> into the room... she leaps onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on
> end... staring at the bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!!
> someone's come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the kitchen
> (I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by the cat's food
> bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol' raccoon gnawing on the cat's
> goodies... he looks at me like he owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty
> digital camera and got some great shots to show the folks at work... he was
> after all a friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to
> pet him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...! Then I
> quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the back screen door...
> the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat is "antsy" and she's pacing
> back and forth... I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight!
>
> This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this city-boy
> it's pretty exciting.
>
> OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you do................
>

> dave... www.Shemakhan.com

bpnjensen

We get the raccoons and skunks and 'possums and squirrels here - so far
they haven't come into the house (our cats' and dog's domain), but the
domestic critters are certainly aware of them!

The raccoons, especially, like to poop on our shed roof...The one
drawback to an otherwise charming bit of urban wildlife.

Bruce Jensen

Allen

> we have possums in Brooklyn (NYC).... they are nocturnal so we have to
> take in the food at night. Never see them in the day
>
> AB
>
> Lookingglass wrote:
>
>>It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back door open
>>(for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to keep the cat in. I
>>was
>>in the bedroom watching something on the TV... when the cat comes barreling
>>into the room... she leaps onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on
>>end... staring at the bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!!
>>someone's come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the kitchen
>>(I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by the cat's food
>>bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol' raccoon gnawing on the cat's
>>goodies... he looks at me like he owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty
>>digital camera and got some great shots to show the folks at work... he was
>>after all a friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to
>>pet him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...! Then I
>>quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the back screen door...
>>the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat is "antsy" and she's pacing
>>back and forth... I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight!
>>
>>This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this city-boy
>>it's pretty exciting.
>>
>>OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you do................
>>

>>dave... www.Shemakhan.com

A few years ago I looked outside about 10:00 PM and saw two of my cats,
a very large raccoon and a possum on my deck, all within perhaps five
feet of each other; None of the four was paying any attention whatsoever
to the other three.
Allen

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > we have possums in Brooklyn (NYC).... they are nocturnal so we have to
> > take in the food at night. Never see them in the day
> >
> > AB

Nah! Those are were-beagles.

St. André Ouspenskya

Bob Harper

>> Lookingglass wrote:
>>
>>> It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back
>>> door open (for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to
>>> keep the cat in. I was in the bedroom watching something on the
>>> TV... when the cat comes barreling into the room... she leaps
>>> onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on end... staring at the
>>> bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!! someone's
>>> come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the
>>> kitchen (I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by
>>> the cat's food bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol'
>>> raccoon gnawing on the cat's goodies... he looks at me like he
>>> owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty digital camera and got
>>> some great shots to show the folks at work... he was after all a
>>> friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to pet
>>> him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...!
>>> Then I quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the
>>> back screen door... the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat
>>> is "antsy" and she's pacing back and forth... I don't think I'll
>>> get much sleep tonight!
>>>
>>> This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this
>>> city-boy it's pretty exciting.
>>>
>>> OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you
>>> do................
>>>

>>> dave... www.Shemakhan.com

We've got coyotes down the hill (it's a little wilderness in the middle
of a suburb); occasionally they'll get in a fight with a neighbor's dog
(which usually comes out worse for the encounter). One day there was one
in the middle of our street, though it took off as soon as people showed up.

Bob Harper

thad@thadlabs.com

Brodieman wrote:
>The same thing happens to me here in South East >England, but with badgers
>instead =/
>My cat is no match for those ****ers

Check these ****ers out:

<http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com>

Brodieman

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Brodieman wrote:
> >The same thing happens to me here in South East >England, but with badgers
> >instead =/
> >My cat is no match for those ****ers

> Check these ****ers out:
>
> <http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com>