Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVDs without even a simple menu (suck!)

DVDs without even a simple menu (suck!)

Alpha

>> People complain because movies don't even have the original trailer, or
>> that a DVD doesn't even have a chapter stop insert with it, and now this.

> Time was you had to hnd-crank your car to start it, too, but if I still
> had to do that, yeah, I'd bitch, even if the car were a Kia.

You think you are clever? You are NOT. Your analysis and comments are very
lame.

Jay G.

On 12 Jul 2005 10:41:49 -0700, Goro wrote:

> Dennis M wrote:
>> A couple of months ago I bought the DVD of "White Palace," a movie from
>> 1990 I always kind of liked, in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $5.50. I
>> finally got around to watching it and I notice it doesn't even have the
>> simplest of menus -- the movie just starts when you put the disc in the
>> player, then when the movie is over, it just starts playing again.
>>
>> I've seen this with really cheapo (I'm talking $1.99 stuff like "Charade,"
>> "Suddenly," etc.) public domain stuff put out by indie companies, but never
>> before with a movie from a major studio like Universal. I realize it's
>> costly to add bonus features and the studios can't do that with every
>> single movie they release, but jeez, how much of an expense would it be
>> just to stick a simple menu in so the movie doesn't start playing
>> automatically? I hope this is not the start of a trend.
>>
>> You may argue, "Why have a menu when it only says 'Play Movie'?" Well,
>> because -- from what I can tell anyway -- 99% of all other movies (at least
>> from major studios) have at least some kind of menu, even if they don't
>> have a lot of bonus features.

> Hell, I WISH most of my DVDs didn't have a stupid animating menu.
>
> In fact, many I re-burn WITHOUT the menu so i can just put the disc in
> and play the movie.

There are DVD players that have a feature that automatically skips the menu
and plays the largest title on the disc (typically the movie). It's
usually not an advertised feature. Oddly enough, the ones that *do*
advertise it are usually kid-orientated players, since I guess they assume
3-year-olds may not want to **** with a menu to watch Barney.

In regards to the original post, I seem to recall owning a Universal DVD
that automatically played the movie. Of course, it still had a menu, and
you could get to it by pressing the "menu" button on the remote. Don't
know if it looped the feature.

-Jay

Goro

Jay G. wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2005 10:41:49 -0700, Goro wrote:
>
> > Dennis M wrote:
> >> A couple of months ago I bought the DVD of "White Palace," a movie from
> >> 1990 I always kind of liked, in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $5.50. I
> >> finally got around to watching it and I notice it doesn't even have the
> >> simplest of menus -- the movie just starts when you put the disc in the
> >> player, then when the movie is over, it just starts playing again.
> >>
> >> I've seen this with really cheapo (I'm talking $1.99 stuff like "Charade,"
> >> "Suddenly," etc.) public domain stuff put out by indie companies, but never
> >> before with a movie from a major studio like Universal. I realize it's
> >> costly to add bonus features and the studios can't do that with every
> >> single movie they release, but jeez, how much of an expense would it be
> >> just to stick a simple menu in so the movie doesn't start playing
> >> automatically? I hope this is not the start of a trend.
> >>
> >> You may argue, "Why have a menu when it only says 'Play Movie'?" Well,
> >> because -- from what I can tell anyway -- 99% of all other movies (at least
> >> from major studios) have at least some kind of menu, even if they don't
> >> have a lot of bonus features.

> > Hell, I WISH most of my DVDs didn't have a stupid animating menu.
> >
> > In fact, many I re-burn WITHOUT the menu so i can just put the disc in
> > and play the movie.

> There are DVD players that have a feature that automatically skips the menu
> and plays the largest title on the disc (typically the movie). It's
> usually not an advertised feature. Oddly enough, the ones that *do*
> advertise it are usually kid-orientated players, since I guess they assume
> 3-year-olds may not want to **** with a menu to watch Barney.

That's pretty cool. If the DVD player itself is worth a damb (nice
codec, 720p, DVI out, etc..) I'd look to buy one...

> In regards to the original post, I seem to recall owning a Universal DVD
> that automatically played the movie. Of course, it still had a menu, and
> you could get to it by pressing the "menu" button on the remote. Don't
> know if it looped the feature.

I noticed that many, if not all, Japanese R2 DVDs are like this. You
put it in and it bypasses the menu and just starts playing th efeature.
the full menu is still there, you just need to hit MENU to get to it.
VERY nice feature if you ask me.

-goro-

Jay Stewart

<snip>

> I noticed that many, if not all, Japanese R2 DVDs are like this. You
> put it in and it bypasses the menu and just starts playing th efeature.
> the full menu is still there, you just need to hit MENU to get to it.
> VERY nice feature if you ask me.
>
> -goro-

Those Japanese folks are so clever....

Aaron J. Bossig

"Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1rbrueoxodkok$(E-Mail Removed):

> There are DVD players that have a feature that automatically skips the
> menu and plays the largest title on the disc (typically the movie).

Great. Are there any players that do the opposite (default to the
menu) no matter what disc you put in? I like menus because they let me
control exactly when the movie starts, and I often use the FBI/Interpol
warnings as a chance to get some snacks or adjust the ambient lighting.
I get kind of annoyed when I finally make a sandwich, only to have the
movie start without me.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

FAQmeister

"Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
>>> People complain because movies don't even have the original
>>> trailer, or that a DVD doesn't even have a chapter stop insert with
>>> it, and now this. I

>> Time was you had to hnd-crank your car to start it, too, but if I
>> still had to do that, yeah, I'd bitch, even if the car were a Kia.

> You think you are clever? You are NOT. Your analysis and comments
> are very lame.

But not quite as lame as your response.
--
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

Jay G.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:31:56 -0500, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

> "Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:1rbrueoxodkok$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> There are DVD players that have a feature that automatically skips the
>> menu and plays the largest title on the disc (typically the movie).

> Great. Are there any players that do the opposite (default to the
> menu) no matter what disc you put in?

Not that I know of. The ones that auto-play the feature skip all the
"menu" screens, including the FBI warnings.

> I like menus because they let me
> control exactly when the movie starts, and I often use the FBI/Interpol
> warnings as a chance to get some snacks or adjust the ambient lighting.
> I get kind of annoyed when I finally make a sandwich, only to have the
> movie start without me.

There's these buttons, found on almost every remote, that lets you "skip"
to the next or previous chapter on a DVD. If you push the "previous"
button, usually marked "|<<", it will take you to the beginning of the
film. There's also these "stop" and "pause" buttons that halt the
playback.

-Jay

DrHorton@whoville.com

On 14-Jul-2005, "Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That's pretty cool. If the DVD player itself is worth a damb (nice
> codec, 720p, DVI out, etc..) I'd look to buy one...

My 1999 RCA does this, and if there are multiple movies on the DVD, play one
after the other. My new 6 disc Onika (sp) won't do either....

Ken Arromdee

The DVD for Aeon Flux has no menu at all. It has a promo for something else
at the start, but the promo is just tacked onto the front, not on a menu.
--
Ken Arromdee / arromdee_AT_rahul.net / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

"You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk
on water." --Samantha Carter, Stargate SG-1