Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > A DVD Standoff in Hollywood - New York Times

A DVD Standoff in Hollywood - New York Times

Goro

Jay G. wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:52:31 -0400, RichA wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:57:24 -0400, manitou <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>At this time, Pioneer is producing players which accommodate DVD, CD,
> >>SACD, and DVD Audio.

> > Which oddly enough puts them way behind el cheapo players from China
> > that play EVERY type of file, not just those ones.

> Find me an el cheapo player that plays both SACD and DVD-A. Either that,
> or stop talking out of your ass.
>
> -Jay

you know what's interesting about music is that, in term of fidelity,
we're actually going BACKWARDS. i think by now it's obvious that for
the general population, convenience (and price) outweighs fidelity.

It will be interesting to see what (if anythign) hashes out between
DivX/MPEG and BR/HDDVD.

-goro-

Vin

>> are you crazy? people don't pay more for more discs, they pay more for
>> more content. if given the choice between getting the sopranos season 5
>> on 4 dvds or 1 hd-dvd for the same price, who in their right mind would
>> choose 4 discs? in fact i bet people would be willing to pay -more- just
>> to have things on less discs and in smaller boxes. when all the seinfeld
>> seasons are out that will total 36 discs, on hd-dvd they could probably
>> fit them all on 6 discs. i'd definitely pay more for that.

>But how much more is the issue, $5 yes, $10 maybe, $20 no

he said they wouldn't be able to charge as much, my only point was that
not only would they be able to charge as much, they'd be able to charge
more (although i highly doubt that they would). if they charged the same
not only would consumers be happier, the studios would actually make more
money because of lower production costs (less discs, packaging)

Bill Turner

RichA wrote:

> And that isn't going to happen because part of the ability to sell
> a DVD for $40 instead of $20 is because you offer more than one disk.

How is that an advantage? It forces the customer to spend $40 even if
what he wants is only the one disk for $20. If people don't have a
choice they just might walk.

--
BT

mattack@gmail.com

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Dick Sidbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Using this my bookshelf of TV series could be shrunk down to one
>shelf. And I'm sure that if there were a collector who hadn;t bought
>any of the series, and wanted it he'd be thrilled to buy 9 seasons of
>the X files for 400 dollars -- that's only about 45 dollars per season,
>about half what most people paid.

I'm waiting for people to dump their regular DVD versions of some TV shows
when whichever high def DVD version comes out. I'm actually someone who
would prefer the space savings, but compared to the cost savings, the
cost savings wins out.

Galley

On 11 Jul 2005 12:52:21 -0700, "Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed forth these
words of wisdom:

>i agree. Is there any word on if BR/HDDVD will be 1080p or 720p? I've
>noticed that SAmsung's new 1080p line of DLP sets have released and are
>supposedly beauteous.

The PlayStation 3, (which use Blu-ray discs), supports 1080p, so it's almost
certain that the movies will, as well.

Galley

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It's too bad the article didn't
> show the blu-ray disk because I'd like to see if the silly things are
> still being presented in caddies.

Wouldn't that also make Blu-Ray the anti-Netflix disc?

Goro

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Dick Sidbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Using this my bookshelf of TV series could be shrunk down to one
> >shelf. And I'm sure that if there were a collector who hadn;t bought
> >any of the series, and wanted it he'd be thrilled to buy 9 seasons of
> >the X files for 400 dollars -- that's only about 45 dollars per season,
> >about half what most people paid.

> I'm waiting for people to dump their regular DVD versions of some TV shows
> when whichever high def DVD version comes out. I'm actually someone who
> would prefer the space savings, but compared to the cost savings, the
> cost savings wins out.
> --
> (E-Mail Removed)

it is already somewhat happening at the studio level. I just picked up
XFILES season box sets for $45 each and TWILIGHT ZONE Definitives for
$55. That's at my threshhold for purchase. Much higher and I just
wate.

-goro-

Jay G.

On 11 Jul 2005 17:04:34 -0700, Goro wrote:

> Jay G. wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:52:31 -0400, RichA wrote:

>>> Which oddly enough puts them way behind el cheapo players from China
>>> that play EVERY type of file, not just those ones.

>> Find me an el cheapo player that plays both SACD and DVD-A. Either that,
>> or stop talking out of your ass.

> you know what's interesting about music is that, in term of fidelity,
> we're actually going BACKWARDS. i think by now it's obvious that for
> the general population, convenience (and price) outweighs fidelity.
>
> It will be interesting to see what (if anythign) hashes out between
> DivX/MPEG and BR/HDDVD.

It will depend on which offers the most convenience. BTW, DivX is a
derivation of MPEG4, one of the standards for BR/HDDVD. Looking at it one
way, DVD was already a step "backwards," since it introduced MPEG2
compression into what was previously uncompressed analog video just so it
would fit on a CD sized disc instead of being LD sized.

The struggle between quality and convenience didn't even begin recently.
Vinyl experienced several shifts to slower speeds that, while reducing
audio fidelity, also increased the playtime per disc. Audio cassettes won
out over vinyl despite even lower sound quality because of added
convenience. The CD itself was confined in audio quality to something
that could be stored on a reasonably sized disc that held a reasonable
amount of music. In some ways the moves to different formats seem
confusing, with shifts foweards and backwards, up, down, and sideways.
However, when you look at a typical jogger from the 80s with his Sony
cassette walkman and compare it to a modern jogger with his 20GB Ipod, the
net effect over the years has been an increase in both quality *and*
convenience.

-Jay