Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Expensive Criterion DVDs

Expensive Criterion DVDs

Charles C. Shyu

Specifically, The 400 Blows and Salo. I am a DVD collector, and have not
seen these movies but have been tracking them on eBay for a while now. They
seem to be the two most expensive Criterion discs out there (The 400 Blows
routinely goes for over $100 sealed, and Salo, when it rarely appears, can
go for over $500 sealed), and I'm wondering why?

Supply: I know these discs are OOP, but so are many other Criterion titles
and they're not quite as expensive. Anyone have any figures on how many of
these discs were created compared to other Criterion OOP discs?

Demand: The 400 Blows is rated 8.2 on IMDb, so, ok, it's a good movie. Salo
is only rated a 6.1, so what gives? Is this just a cult classic highly
demanded by a few, driving eBay prices through the roof? Or is it people
like me, crazy DVD collectors, who go after the disc simply because it's
rare and thus a collector's item?

Anyone have any tricks to getting these two titles? I prefer getting them
sealed, though I'll also need a copy to actually watch. I live in the NYC
area, so if there's a small DVD store where you actually saw one of these
discs lying around...
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

The Man Behind The Curtain

Charles C. Shyu wrote:
> Specifically, The 400 Blows and Salo. I am a DVD collector, and have not
> seen these movies but have been tracking them on eBay for a while now. They
> seem to be the two most expensive Criterion discs out there (The 400 Blows
> routinely goes for over $100 sealed, and Salo, when it rarely appears, can
> go for over $500 sealed), and I'm wondering why?
>
> Supply: I know these discs are OOP, but so are many other Criterion titles
> and they're not quite as expensive. Anyone have any figures on how many of
> these discs were created compared to other Criterion OOP discs?
>
> Demand: The 400 Blows is rated 8.2 on IMDb, so, ok, it's a good movie. Salo
> is only rated a 6.1, so what gives? Is this just a cult classic highly
> demanded by a few, driving eBay prices through the roof? Or is it people
> like me, crazy DVD collectors, who go after the disc simply because it's
> rare and thus a collector's item?
>
> Anyone have any tricks to getting these two titles? I prefer getting them
> sealed, though I'll also need a copy to actually watch. I live in the NYC
> area, so if there's a small DVD store where you actually saw one of these
> discs lying around...

Since Salo is only rated 6.1, if you're going by that, why do you care
then? The fact that you so hungrily want it even though you've never
heard of it and it only rates 6.1 answers your own question as to why
it's so expensive.

John

Simon Howson

The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
> Charles C. Shyu wrote:
>
>> Specifically, The 400 Blows and Salo. I am a DVD collector, and have
>> not seen these movies but have been tracking them on eBay for a while
>> now. They seem to be the two most expensive Criterion discs out there
>> (The 400 Blows routinely goes for over $100 sealed, and Salo, when it
>> rarely appears, can go for over $500 sealed), and I'm wondering why?

The hilarious thing about The 400 Blows being so expensive is that it is
actually an inferior version to the one in the Criterion Antoine Doinel
boxed set. It lacks many of the extras, including commentary that is on
the boxed set version. See here:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/Reviews/400_blows.htm

People actually pay more money for a worse DVD. I'm happy owning the
whole set including the re-mastered version, rather than owning the out
of print version that has been improperly transfered - the frame has a
bit too much anamorphic compression that hasn't been unsqueezed properly.

Simon Howson

Hannibal Fortune

"Charles C. Shyu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Specifically, The 400 Blows and Salo. I am a DVD collector, and have not
> seen these movies but have been tracking them on eBay for a while now. They
> seem to be the two most expensive Criterion discs out there (The 400 Blows
> routinely goes for over $100 sealed, and Salo, when it rarely appears, can
> go for over $500 sealed), and I'm wondering why?

I have no idea why THE 400 BLOWS continues to sell for high prices. Not only was
it released by Fox Lorber when Criterion lost the rights to it, but when
Criterion regained the rights, then reissued it in a better edition as part of a
boxed set of all of Truffaut's Antoine Doinel films.

With SALO, it's simply a notorious film that has had no other DVD release except
for a reportedly inferior Region 2 issue from the BFI.

> Supply: I know these discs are OOP, but so are many other Criterion titles
> and they're not quite as expensive. Anyone have any figures on how many of
> these discs were created compared to other Criterion OOP discs?

As far as I know, these weren't significantly underpressed compared to their
other releases of the time.

> Demand: The 400 Blows is rated 8.2 on IMDb, so, ok, it's a good movie. Salo
> is only rated a 6.1, so what gives? Is this just a cult classic highly
> demanded by a few, driving eBay prices through the roof? Or is it people
> like me, crazy DVD collectors, who go after the disc simply because it's
> rare and thus a collector's item?

Undoubtedly a bit of both.

-- jayembee

Phillip S.

On Monday 11 July 2005 07:34, Charles C. Shyu <(E-Mail Removed)>
(<3AuAe.1708$(E-Mail Removed). net>) wrote:

> They seem to be the two most expensive Criterion discs out there (The 400
> Blows routinely goes for over $100 sealed, and Salo, when it rarely
> appears, can go for over $500 sealed), and I'm wondering why?

As you note, demand exceeds supply.

> Supply: I know these discs are OOP, but so are many other Criterion titles
> and they're not quite as expensive. Anyone have any figures on how many
> of these discs were created compared to other Criterion OOP discs?

No, but Salo went OOP very quickly.

> Demand: The 400 Blows is rated 8.2 on IMDb, so, ok, it's a good movie.
> Salo is only rated a 6.1, so what gives? Is this just a cult classic
> highly demanded by a few, driving eBay prices through the roof?

eBay prices can be somewhat goofy. Some sellers are taking advantage of the
fact that some buyers are unaware of the "actual value" of the products.
(And, some sellers are selling products at well below the going rates
elsewhere.)

> Or is it people like me, crazy DVD collectors, who go after the disc
> simply because it's rare and thus a collector's item?

Of course it is. If you want the entire Criterion Collection series, you
have to buy the "rare" discs, including the first pressing of "Seven
Samurai".

Beware: Salo is widely available as a counterfeit of the Criterion release.

> Anyone have any tricks to getting these two titles?

Find someone somewhere who doesn't know what they've got. I bought mine
from a woman who was selling off her deadbeat ex-husband's DVD collection.
Cheap.

> I prefer getting them sealed, though I'll also need a copy to actually
> watch.

You don't need to watch Salo. Save your money for the second copy and buy a
few dozen good DVDs.

RR

Charles C. Shyu wrote:

> Specifically, The 400 Blows and Salo. I am a DVD collector, and have
> not seen these movies but have been tracking them on eBay for a while
> now. They seem to be the two most expensive Criterion discs out
> there (The 400 Blows routinely goes for over $100 sealed, and Salo,
> when it rarely appears, can go for over $500 sealed), and I'm
> wondering why?

> Demand: The 400 Blows is rated 8.2 on IMDb, so, ok, it's a good
> movie. Salo is only rated a 6.1, so what gives? Is this just a cult
> classic highly demanded by a few, driving eBay prices through the
> roof? Or is it people like me, crazy DVD collectors, who go after
> the disc simply because it's rare and thus a collector's item?

I am no prude by even the remotest stretch of imgination, but "Salo" is
easily the filthiest, nastiest, most disgusting film I've ever sat through.
Why I even finished it is beyond me, but I suppose it's a testament to
Pasolini that I did.

Anyone willing to pay $500 for it deserves to get bilked out of their money.

--
RR

"It's been my experience that every
time I think I know 'where it's at,'
it's really somewhere else."
- William Holden - S.O.B.

Draven

"RR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42d5ae5d$0$82189$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> Charles C. Shyu wrote:
>
>> Specifically, The 400 Blows and Salo. I am a DVD collector, and have
>> not seen these movies but have been tracking them on eBay for a while
>> now. They seem to be the two most expensive Criterion discs out
>> there (The 400 Blows routinely goes for over $100 sealed, and Salo,
>> when it rarely appears, can go for over $500 sealed), and I'm
>> wondering why?

>> Demand: The 400 Blows is rated 8.2 on IMDb, so, ok, it's a good
>> movie. Salo is only rated a 6.1, so what gives? Is this just a cult
>> classic highly demanded by a few, driving eBay prices through the
>> roof? Or is it people like me, crazy DVD collectors, who go after
>> the disc simply because it's rare and thus a collector's item?

> I am no prude by even the remotest stretch of imgination, but "Salo" is
> easily the filthiest, nastiest, most disgusting film I've ever sat
> through.
> Why I even finished it is beyond me, but I suppose it's a testament to
> Pasolini that I did.
>
> Anyone willing to pay $500 for it deserves to get bilked out of their
> money.
>
> --

Especially when it's available uncut on Region 2.