Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Best Version of "Battle Royale" and "Casshern" on dvd?

Best Version of "Battle Royale" and "Casshern" on dvd?

TB

I recently picked up the "Special Box Set" 3 dvd edition of Battle Royale 1
and 2 on the "Wision" label (Korean?) and I was floored by how crummy the
transfer of the video was. I'd almost call it bootleg quality. I really
enjoyed the movie(s) but I'd like a better looking version. Region or even
NTSC or PAL isn't an issue although having English subtitles is helpful.

I'm also interested in checking out the highly recommended "Casshern" on dvd
but don't want to make the same mistake as I did with Battle Royale and get
a version with a craptacular transfer. Any suggestions?

T.B.

Justin

TB wrote on [Mon, 11 Jul 2005 06:27:16 GMT]:
> I recently picked up the "Special Box Set" 3 dvd edition of Battle Royale 1
> and 2 on the "Wision" label (Korean?) and I was floored by how crummy the
> transfer of the video was. I'd almost call it bootleg quality. I really
> enjoyed the movie(s) but I'd like a better looking version. Region or even
> NTSC or PAL isn't an issue although having English subtitles is helpful.
>
> I'm also interested in checking out the highly recommended "Casshern" on dvd
> but don't want to make the same mistake as I did with Battle Royale and get
> a version with a craptacular transfer. Any suggestions?

Isn't Dreamworks or someone similar releasing Casshern?

Ah, yes.
http://www.gofishpictures.com/

Goro

TB wrote:
> I recently picked up the "Special Box Set" 3 dvd edition of Battle Royale 1
> and 2 on the "Wision" label (Korean?) and I was floored by how crummy the
> transfer of the video was. I'd almost call it bootleg quality. I really
> enjoyed the movie(s) but I'd like a better looking version. Region or even
> NTSC or PAL isn't an issue although having English subtitles is helpful.
>
> I'm also interested in checking out the highly recommended "Casshern" on dvd
> but don't want to make the same mistake as I did with Battle Royale and get
> a version with a craptacular transfer. Any suggestions?
>
> T.B.

The Japanese Discs generally have excellent image quality. CASSHERN
likely so, but expensive (4700Y ~ $43US)
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DA-452

I got this edition
(http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/18604.html) R3 HK and it's
ok, but not great. For CASSHERN, i'd want a better picture than this
and so I'm tempted to get the R2 NTSC Japanese disc.

-goro-

Goro

Justin wrote:
> TB wrote on [Mon, 11 Jul 2005 06:27:16 GMT]:
> > I recently picked up the "Special Box Set" 3 dvd edition of Battle Royale 1
> > and 2 on the "Wision" label (Korean?) and I was floored by how crummy the
> > transfer of the video was. I'd almost call it bootleg quality. I really
> > enjoyed the movie(s) but I'd like a better looking version. Region or even
> > NTSC or PAL isn't an issue although having English subtitles is helpful.
> >
> > I'm also interested in checking out the highly recommended "Casshern" on dvd
> > but don't want to make the same mistake as I did with Battle Royale and get
> > a version with a craptacular transfer. Any suggestions?

> Isn't Dreamworks or someone similar releasing Casshern?
>
> Ah, yes.
> http://www.gofishpictures.com/

i'd be interested in seeing how/if they manage to screw up this
release. GITS2 had that nice CC Sub problem as well as the location of
the subs. Plus, MILENIUM ACTRESS was on a DVD5 (dont' recall GITS2).
I'd be hesitant to buy from them until I see the initial reviews on it.

-goro-

Jordan

The Korean version of 1 is pretty sharp, I haven't seen 2 so I can't
speak to that.

Huh, lists as "Out of Print" now...

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/price.html?dvd=27605

- Jordan