Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVDs, Win98 & 4Gb file size limit

DVDs, Win98 & 4Gb file size limit

moriman

Hi,

Is it possbile to work with DVDs using Win98?

In particular I am thinking of the 4Gb file size limit of Win98's FAT32 file
system. If I want to create an iso image of a DVD on my 40Gb hard drive,
CloneDVD is complaining that my drive doesn't support files larger that 4Gb.
I can repartition the drive to have a 10GB (for example) NTFS partition
(that does support files > 4Gb) but this partition will not be recognised by
Win98

I really do prefer Win98 to XP but cannot see a way around this problem.

Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated

TIA

mori

Java Jive

I do all my video work on W2K with pretty good results. You may be able to
do it on W98, but I suspect there would be a number of problems.

1) IIRC the file size limit is 2Gb? The partition limit under FAT16 is
4Gb.
2) Although the end DVD video *.VOB files to be burned onto DVD+-R(W)
will be 1Gb or less, source video files for the DVD Authoring may well be
the full 4.7Gb, it depends on your source. Eg: Panasonic HD/DVD Recorder;
use FR mode to squeeze long film onto DVD-RAM; put this in PC; result is one
huge file ~4.7Gb in length.

You should grasp the nettle and upgrade your OS - W2K is so much more
stable and reliable than W98 that when my last place of work upgraded,
support staff who had been chronically over-worked were suddenly reduced to
competing for work. You do need a suitably spec'ed PC tho'

"moriman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dah70b$e1$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

> Is it possbile to work with DVDs using Win98?

John Howells

"Java Jive" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> 1) IIRC the file size limit is 2Gb? The partition limit under FAT16 is
> 4Gb.

Only on NT based systems (NT, 2K, XP) is FAT16 allowed to go to 4G, and such
partitions are not accessible to MS-DOS, or any Win9x variant, where the
partition limit is 2G.

John Howells

billh

"moriman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dah70b$e1$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hi,
>
> Is it possbile to work with DVDs using Win98?
>
> In particular I am thinking of the 4Gb file size limit of Win98's FAT32
> file
> system. If I want to create an iso image of a DVD on my 40Gb hard drive,
> CloneDVD is complaining that my drive doesn't support files larger that
> 4Gb.
> I can repartition the drive to have a 10GB (for example) NTFS partition
> (that does support files > 4Gb) but this partition will not be recognised
> by
> Win98
>
> I really do prefer Win98 to XP but cannot see a way around this problem.
>
> Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated
>
> TIA
>
> mori

I liked W98 and W98SE was one of the best Windows OS. I like XP and have
found it to be very stable although it is hard to abandon the devil you know
for a new devil. Your problems caused by staying with W98 are going to get
worse, not better as time goes on so I recommend you just move onto the OS
that natively supports what you are trying to do if your budget permits.
billh

xmh31d_64@yahoo.com

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 19:59:57 +0100, "Java Jive" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I do all my video work on W2K with pretty good results. You may be able to
>do it on W98, but I suspect there would be a number of problems.
>
>1) IIRC the file size limit is 2Gb? The partition limit under FAT16 is
>4Gb.
>2) Although the end DVD video *.VOB files to be burned onto DVD+-R(W)
>will be 1Gb or less, source video files for the DVD Authoring may well be
>the full 4.7Gb, it depends on your source. Eg: Panasonic HD/DVD Recorder;
>use FR mode to squeeze long film onto DVD-RAM; put this in PC; result is one
>huge file ~4.7Gb in length.
>
>You should grasp the nettle and upgrade your OS - W2K is so much more
>stable and reliable than W98 that when my last place of work upgraded,
>support staff who had been chronically over-worked were suddenly reduced to
>competing for work. You do need a suitably spec'ed PC tho'
>
>"moriman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:dah70b$e1$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>
>> Is it possbile to work with DVDs using Win98?

Agree. Win2K is very stable, supports FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS, doesn't have
the B.S. WinXP does, looks/feels just like Win98, and works well even with
'modest' processors (very usable with Pentium-3 processors, even better with
one-gigahertz or faster CPUs).

Yes, I believe the max file size is 2 gb under FAT32. FAT16 supports partitions
up to four gigabytes, but DOS/9x can only 'see' two gigabytes. Incidentally,
the cluster size for a four-gig FAT16 partition is ridiculous and will result
in massive drive slack.

Is it possible to work with DVDs under Win98? Yes, but I think you'll find it
easier under Win2000 - and as has already been pointed out, you're restricted
in file size to two gigabytes, which will be a problem with your source files.
There are utilities that allow Win9x/ME-based machines to read NTFS volumes,
but this is a kludge approach. Installing Win2K or newer is the most elegant
solution.

GraB

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:31:52 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 19:59:57 +0100, "Java Jive" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I do all my video work on W2K with pretty good results. You may be able to
>>do it on W98, but I suspect there would be a number of problems.
>>
>>1) IIRC the file size limit is 2Gb? The partition limit under FAT16 is
>>4Gb.
>>2) Although the end DVD video *.VOB files to be burned onto DVD+-R(W)
>>will be 1Gb or less, source video files for the DVD Authoring may well be
>>the full 4.7Gb, it depends on your source. Eg: Panasonic HD/DVD Recorder;
>>use FR mode to squeeze long film onto DVD-RAM; put this in PC; result is one
>>huge file ~4.7Gb in length.
>>
>>You should grasp the nettle and upgrade your OS - W2K is so much more
>>stable and reliable than W98 that when my last place of work upgraded,
>>support staff who had been chronically over-worked were suddenly reduced to
>>competing for work. You do need a suitably spec'ed PC tho'
>>
>>"moriman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:dah70b$e1$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>>
>>> Is it possbile to work with DVDs using Win98?

>Agree. Win2K is very stable, supports FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS, doesn't have
>the B.S. WinXP does, looks/feels just like Win98, and works well even with
>'modest' processors (very usable with Pentium-3 processors, even better with
>one-gigahertz or faster CPUs).
>
>Yes, I believe the max file size is 2 gb under FAT32. FAT16 supports partitions
>up to four gigabytes, but DOS/9x can only 'see' two gigabytes. Incidentally,
>the cluster size for a four-gig FAT16 partition is ridiculous and will result
>in massive drive slack.
>
>Is it possible to work with DVDs under Win98? Yes, but I think you'll find it
>easier under Win2000 - and as has already been pointed out, you're restricted
>in file size to two gigabytes, which will be a problem with your source files.
>There are utilities that allow Win9x/ME-based machines to read NTFS volumes,
>but this is a kludge approach. Installing Win2K or newer is the most elegant
>solution.

Or Linux.

What is all this talk about FAT16? Win95b and later supports FAT32.

Maximum file size: 4 GB minus 1 byte (2 bytes minus 1 byte).
http://tinyurl.com/2ozuo

Using 98SE I ripped a DVD once to a single file as an experiment and
it stopped at 4Gig (-1 byte). It played back fine.

erik

"moriman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dah70b$e1$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hi,
>
> Is it possbile to work with DVDs using Win98?
>
> In particular I am thinking of the 4Gb file size limit of Win98's
> FAT32 file
> system. If I want to create an iso image of a DVD on my 40Gb hard
> drive,
> CloneDVD is complaining that my drive doesn't support files larger
> that 4Gb.
> I can repartition the drive to have a 10GB (for example) NTFS
> partition
> (that does support files > 4Gb) but this partition will not be
> recognised by
> Win98
>
> I really do prefer Win98 to XP but cannot see a way around this
> problem.
>
> Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated
>
> TIA
>
> mori

If you really must keep Win98 for whatever reason, use dual boot and
install XP as well. But I would get rid of Win98. My brother used to
have it, too, but his children were installing various games and they
succeeded to damage it pretty quickly (just by
installing/deinstalling) - I used to have 2-3 phonecalls from him per
week that something is damaged again, please help. After installing XP
problems stopped (or he does not want to speak with me again?
Anyway, XP is more robust and if you have good enough hardware, you
should use it. You'll get used to it pretty quickly. BTW 10GB
partition won't be probably enough.

f.mat@hotmill.com

you should have no problem whatsoever in creating iso images using
these older OS. Most programs worthy of the name allow ISO images to
be split into sections that the os file system can handle ( spanning)
eg dvddecrypter. I use Win98se and have no problems. The only
difficulty is that most editing software these days works on XP and

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is it possbile to work with DVDs using Win98?
>
>In particular I am thinking of the 4Gb file size limit of Win98's FAT32 file
>system. If I want to create an iso image of a DVD on my 40Gb hard drive,
>CloneDVD is complaining that my drive doesn't support files larger that 4Gb.
>I can repartition the drive to have a 10GB (for example) NTFS partition
>(that does support files > 4Gb) but this partition will not be recognised by
>Win98
>
>I really do prefer Win98 to XP but cannot see a way around this problem.
>
>Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated
>
>TIA
>
>mori

David Z

"billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9xWye.7076$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "moriman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dah70b$e1$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possbile to work with DVDs using Win98?
>>
>> In particular I am thinking of the 4Gb file size limit of Win98's FAT32
>> file
>> system. If I want to create an iso image of a DVD on my 40Gb hard drive,
>> CloneDVD is complaining that my drive doesn't support files larger that
>> 4Gb.
>> I can repartition the drive to have a 10GB (for example) NTFS partition
>> (that does support files > 4Gb) but this partition will not be recognised
>> by
>> Win98
>>
>> I really do prefer Win98 to XP but cannot see a way around this problem.
>>
>> Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> mori
>>

> I liked W98 and W98SE was one of the best Windows OS. I like

Er, no, one of the best Windows OS's was Win95 OSR2. Win98 was simply Win95
with integrated IE4 and a few other updates. Most of which could be
downloaded and installed separately.