Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Display probs

Display probs

MrGrumpy

Bush DVD; when playing prerecorded dvd's, display alternates between
light/dark - not so dark as to be unwatchable -
DVD's play fine on other player. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Adrian

MrGrumpy wrote:
> Bush DVD; when playing prerecorded dvd's, display alternates between
> light/dark - not so dark as to be unwatchable -
> DVD's play fine on other player. Any thoughts?
> Thanks

It sounds like Macrovision. Is the signal passing through a VCR?

MrGrumpy

No, the player was fine until a few weeks ago.
BTW what is Macrovision ?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

MrGrumpy wrote:
> No, the player was fine until a few weeks ago.
> BTW what is Macrovision ?

It's a copy protection system.

MrGrumpy

After messing around I found that the problem is caused by using a scart
switch box, ie I have two scart leads but only a single scart connector on
the TV - connect direct to TV and its fine.
Are scart switch boxes of differing quality?

"Adrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MrGrumpy wrote:
> > No, the player was fine until a few weeks ago.
> > BTW what is Macrovision ?

> It's a copy protection system.

Damian Burrin

>?Are scart switch boxes of differing quality?

Oh yes, i bought a fairly expensive 4 way gold plated one and when ever i go
to text or volume on my freeview box i get the picture bleed through my blue
background of the volume and menu bars. My 10 yeal old cheap as pants 2 way
scart switch works fine.

Damian

--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO

"MrGrumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsaVve.5654$(E-Mail Removed)...
> After messing around I found that the problem is caused by using a scart
> switch box, ie I have two scart leads but only a single scart connector on
> the TV - connect direct to TV and its fine.
> Are scart switch boxes of differing quality?
>
> "Adrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> MrGrumpy wrote:
>> > No, the player was fine until a few weeks ago.
>> > BTW what is Macrovision ?

>> It's a copy protection system.

Brian

"MrGrumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bush DVD; when playing prerecorded dvd's, display alternates between
>light/dark - not so dark as to be unwatchable -
>DVD's play fine on other player. Any thoughts?
>Thanks

It looks very much like copyright protection on the DVD is causing
this.
This usually happens if you feed the video signal from a DVD player
into a VHS recorder or DVD recorder then connect a TV to the output of
the VHS recorder or DVD Recorder.
The copyright protection prevents you from recording off a DVD by
giving you a bad picture of different levels of brightness.

Regards Brian

ATI Graphics probs, DVICO FUSION DUAL DGITAL probs, and X64 =?Utf-8?B?Tmljaw==?= Windows 64bit 0 01-09-2006 04:29 AM
Display probs steve Computer Support 5 10-08-2004 04:58 AM
Firebird - html underline probs Thanks AC Firefox 0 06-25-2003 09:01 PM
Re: Firebird - html underline probs Kriss Watt Firefox 0 06-24-2003 11:41 PM
Re: Firebird - html underline probs Gnomalarta Firefox 0 06-24-2003 07:39 PM

Advertisments