Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Simpsons Season 6 Box Art.

Simpsons Season 6 Box Art.

docdude316

TV Shows on DVD, recently posted a pic of the new box art for The
Simpsons season 6, and I for one don't like it a bit. Here's a link to
said box art: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3576

I really don't like this idea. I hate it when TV shows change their box
part way through the series it makes my DVD shelf loose continuity. I
mean I was ****ed when Quantum Leap changed to slim cases instead of the
normal fold open case (although I know the slim cases protect the DVDs
better).Is it too much to ask for them to keep one style throughout the
whole series. Now I'll probably have to go and download special covers
like I did with the Star Trek films just to keep the continuity. These
studios really don't care about the Obsessive Compulsive part of us DVD
collectors.

-Doc

Impmon

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:44:28 GMT, docdude316
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I really don't like this idea. I hate it when TV shows change their box
>part way through the series it makes my DVD shelf loose continuity. I
>mean I was ****ed when Quantum Leap changed to slim cases instead of the
>normal fold open case (although I know the slim cases protect the DVDs
>better).Is it too much to ask for them to keep one style throughout the
>whole series. Now I'll probably have to go and download special covers
>like I did with the Star Trek films just to keep the continuity. These
>studios really don't care about the Obsessive Compulsive part of us DVD
>collectors.

Is it a bit much for them to actually release the rest of the Simpson
series at the rate faster than one season per year? 6th season was
just announced and we're up to what...? Just finished 16th season? If
they still stick to one season per year chances are DVD may become
obsolete before they even catch up to 16th season and there's no way
of knowing how many more seasons Simpsons would continue for.

At least the 6th season case are claimed to "fit" the bookshelf. Not
like when Battlestar Galactica came in a huge Cylon box that is almost
twice as tall as standard DVD case. But what is the point? Most
people don't display their DVD facing out, usually they are stored
with only the spine facing out and from the look of the picture there
is pretty much nothing on the spine at all. They may sell better at
stores but that is the only reason I can think of.

PS I do agree, I would have prefered they kept the same style case
they used in the first 5 seasons.

Tarkus

On 6/22/2005 7:24:26 PM, Impmon wrote:

> They may sell better at stores but that is the only reason I can think
> of.

And what better reason could there be? That is the point, after all. If
they happen to please collectors, that's a nice bonus, but that's not why
they release these.

Admittedly, I haven't been collecting this series, but I love the Homer
case, and like the idea of them going with different characters every
season, as stated on the site. I do think it will help move more
product, so I think it was a smart move on their part.

I can see why some of you would want them to remain consistent, though,
for the sake of symmetry.
--
"Remember what I said about people seein' a bright light before they
die? It ain't true. I can't see a damn thing."

Now playing: "Jimi Hendrix - Jimi/jimmy Jam"

andrew.upton4

I have all the seasons so far, and I HATE the proposed new look for Season
6.
Do as I have done, and send your protests / comments to

Andy ( England )
"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ircceh5efc7b$(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
> On 6/22/2005 7:24:26 PM, Impmon wrote:
>
> > They may sell better at stores but that is the only reason I can think
> > of.

> And what better reason could there be? That is the point, after all. If
> they happen to please collectors, that's a nice bonus, but that's not why
> they release these.
>
> Admittedly, I haven't been collecting this series, but I love the Homer
> case, and like the idea of them going with different characters every
> season, as stated on the site. I do think it will help move more
> product, so I think it was a smart move on their part.
>
> I can see why some of you would want them to remain consistent, though,
> for the sake of symmetry.
> --
> "Remember what I said about people seein' a bright light before they
> die? It ain't true. I can't see a damn thing."
>
> Now playing: "Jimi Hendrix - Jimi/jimmy Jam"

Goro

Impmon wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:44:28 GMT, docdude316
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I really don't like this idea. I hate it when TV shows change their box
> >part way through the series it makes my DVD shelf loose continuity. I
> >mean I was ****ed when Quantum Leap changed to slim cases instead of the
> >normal fold open case (although I know the slim cases protect the DVDs
> >better).Is it too much to ask for them to keep one style throughout the
> >whole series. Now I'll probably have to go and download special covers
> >like I did with the Star Trek films just to keep the continuity. These
> >studios really don't care about the Obsessive Compulsive part of us DVD
> >collectors.

> Is it a bit much for them to actually release the rest of the Simpson
> series at the rate faster than one season per year? 6th season was

they shold at least be able to do 2 a year now that the FUTURAMA dvds
are all done. The slow release was supposedly b/c they wanted to do
audio commentary for each and every episode.

Disney pushed up their release schedule for all their major animated
movies b/c they foresaw HDDVD/BluRay coming and wanted to ensure that
they managed to sell to the established DVD consumer base, then later
they could double-dip with an HD version.

If Rupert Murdoch not as smrat as Michael Eisner?

I think the Head looks kinda cool and it says, "COLLECTOR'S EDITION" on
it. Does this mean that there will be a "NORMAL EDITION" or is this
more bizarro DVD speak? i mean, it's not a collector's edition if it's
the ONLY edition. Of course, "Director's Cut" and "Limited Edition"
have certainly been bastardized already.

-goro-

> just announced and we're up to what...? Just finished 16th season? If
> they still stick to one season per year chances are DVD may become
> obsolete before they even catch up to 16th season and there's no way
> of knowing how many more seasons Simpsons would continue for.
>
> At least the 6th season case are claimed to "fit" the bookshelf. Not
> like when Battlestar Galactica came in a huge Cylon box that is almost
> twice as tall as standard DVD case. But what is the point? Most
> people don't display their DVD facing out, usually they are stored
> with only the spine facing out and from the look of the picture there
> is pretty much nothing on the spine at all. They may sell better at
> stores but that is the only reason I can think of.
>
> PS I do agree, I would have prefered they kept the same style case
> they used in the first 5 seasons.
> --
> When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
> too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
> To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net

Sean O'Hara

In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful Impmon declared:

> At least the 6th season case are claimed to "fit" the bookshelf.

I wonder how far apart they're assuming the shelves are? On mine
there's only a quarter inch between the top of the DVD cases and the
next shelf, so if this box is even slightly taller than a standard
case, it won't fit.

And if they do use a different character for each subsequent box,
what are they going to do with Marge? Her hair will at least double
the height of a normal case.

--
Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of

andrew.upton4

Although almost nobody wants the "Homer Head" box, it looks like we're stuck
with it.
"Sean O'Hara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful Impmon declared:
> >
> > At least the 6th season case are claimed to "fit" the bookshelf.

> I wonder how far apart they're assuming the shelves are? On mine
> there's only a quarter inch between the top of the DVD cases and the
> next shelf, so if this box is even slightly taller than a standard
> case, it won't fit.
>
> And if they do use a different character for each subsequent box,
> what are they going to do with Marge? Her hair will at least double
> the height of a normal case.
>
> --
> Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
> People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of
> thought which they seldom use.
> -Kierkegaard

Tarkus

On 6/26/2005 9:10:45 AM, andrew.upton4 wrote:

> Although almost nobody wants the "Homer Head" box, it looks like we're
> stuck with it.

You mean nobody here. I have a feeling it will be their biggest seller.
--
"You're no daisy. You're no daisy at all!"

Now playing: "Frank Marino - Electric Reflections Revisited"

Dick Sidbury

Tarkus wrote:
> On 6/26/2005 6:51:09 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>Heck why can't all the box sets be put in cases that are simple and
>>sturdy that are able to sit well on our shelves right next to all our
>>other dvds and cut out this gimmick crap!

> Because the "gimmick crap" stands out on the store shelves.
>
> If packaging didn't matter, they'd all be in slimline jewel cases.

yeah, but
I'd bet that if they put them out in "regular" boxes AND "collector"
boxes that the regular ones would fly off the shelf first.

dick
-- anyone want to trade a regular special edition box for Total Recall
for the really neat mars shaped one I'm stuck with?

tabernacle2002@hotmail.com

docdude316 wrote:
> TV Shows on DVD, recently posted a pic of the new box art for The
> Simpsons season 6, and I for one don't like it a bit. Here's a link to
> said box art: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3576
>
> I really don't like this idea. I hate it when TV shows change their box
> part way through the series it makes my DVD shelf loose continuity. I
> mean I was ****ed when Quantum Leap changed to slim cases instead of the
> normal fold open case (although I know the slim cases protect the DVDs
> better).Is it too much to ask for them to keep one style throughout the
> whole series. Now I'll probably have to go and download special covers
> like I did with the Star Trek films just to keep the continuity. These
> studios really don't care about the Obsessive Compulsive part of us DVD
> collectors.
>
> -Doc

Man that is one ugly cockeyed box! I wonder how the discs inside are
seated and if it would not just be easier to transfer them over to an
after market case for easier shelf storage like I did with my Star Trek
and Wonder Woman box sets,(which I thought were bad but boy next to
this POS Homer box they look good) and store the box away!