Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "Napoleon" by Abel Gance - does any version feature the snowball battle in Brienne?

Reply
Thread Tools

"Napoleon" by Abel Gance - does any version feature the snowball battle in Brienne?

 
 
un fake di Alberto
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2005
I live in Italy but I remember finding (and helas not buying) numerous
dvd versions of Gances's Napoleon when I was in NY in 2001.

I then had the chance of watching (on film!) the longest version so far
available of the film, painstakingly reconstructed by Kevin Brownlow,
and was duly blown over by it.

Now I'd need to use a sequence from an early scene from the movie: young
Napoleon is being educated in Brienne and reveals his talent for
military organization by directing a huge snowball fight amongst his
young companions.

I know this is one of the many scenes that are not featured in some of
the versions available of the film. I'd appreciate any insight from
anyone out there who actually owns a copy and can check if the scene is
there or not - so that I can buy the completest version available on
DVD. (The Brownlow version unfortunately is not on DVD due to questions
of copyrights between him and Coppola)
--
UFVie Nibelungen/Cyrano e D'Artagnan/D'Artagnan e i tre moschettieri
La vendetta della maschera di ferro/Brutti sporchi e cattivi(DVD)
http://www.albertofarina.tk
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill Vermillion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2005
In article <1gykfny.1a8rw798n2362N%(E-Mail Removed) id>,
un fake di Alberto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I live in Italy but I remember finding (and helas not buying) numerous
>dvd versions of Gances's Napoleon when I was in NY in 2001.
>
>I then had the chance of watching (on film!) the longest version so far
>available of the film, painstakingly reconstructed by Kevin Brownlow,
>and was duly blown over by it.


>Now I'd need to use a sequence from an early scene from the movie: young
>Napoleon is being educated in Brienne and reveals his talent for
>military organization by directing a huge snowball fight amongst his
>young companions.


>I know this is one of the many scenes that are not featured in some of
>the versions available of the film. I'd appreciate any insight from
>anyone out there who actually owns a copy and can check if the scene is
>there or not - so that I can buy the completest version available on
>DVD. (The Brownlow version unfortunately is not on DVD due to questions
>of copyrights between him and Coppola)


The snowball fight is on the Coppola version DVD. I have it
on a region 4 PAL release.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
un fake di Alberto
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2005
Bill Vermillion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The snowball fight is on the Coppola version DVD. I have it
> on a region 4 PAL release.


Region 4? That should be available on ezydvd... Thanks!
--
UFV:Wise Girls(DVD)/Die Nibelungen/Cyrano e D'Artagnan
D'Artagnan e i tre moschettieri/La vendetta della maschera
di ferro - http://www.albertofarina.tk
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Vermillion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2005
In article <1gylpme.1ma7fec1cnqc3qN%(E-Mail Removed) lid>,
un fake di Alberto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bill Vermillion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The snowball fight is on the Coppola version DVD. I have it
>> on a region 4 PAL release.


>Region 4? That should be available on ezydvd... Thanks!


Yup - that's where I got my copy a year or so ago. It's stil
available as I checked before posting. I forgot to add that
to the post. Sorry.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 
Reply With Quote
 
GMAN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2005
In article <1gykfny.1a8rw798n2362N%(E-Mail Removed) id>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid (un fake di Alberto) wrote:
>I live in Italy but I remember finding (and helas not buying) numerous
>dvd versions of Gances's Napoleon when I was in NY in 2001.
>
>I then had the chance of watching (on film!) the longest version so far
>available of the film, painstakingly reconstructed by Kevin Brownlow,
>and was duly blown over by it.
>
>Now I'd need to use a sequence from an early scene from the movie: young
>Napoleon is being educated in Brienne and reveals his talent for
>military organization by directing a huge snowball fight amongst his
>young companions.
>


Didnt napolean get his ass kicked?


>I know this is one of the many scenes that are not featured in some of
>the versions available of the film. I'd appreciate any insight from
>anyone out there who actually owns a copy and can check if the scene is
>there or not - so that I can buy the completest version available on
>DVD. (The Brownlow version unfortunately is not on DVD due to questions
>of copyrights between him and Coppola)

 
Reply With Quote
 
un fake di Alberto
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2005
Bill Vermillion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1gylpme.1ma7fec1cnqc3qN%(E-Mail Removed) lid>,
> un fake di Alberto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Bill Vermillion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> The snowball fight is on the Coppola version DVD. I have it
> >> on a region 4 PAL release.

>
> >Region 4? That should be available on ezydvd... Thanks!

>
> Yup - that's where I got my copy a year or so ago. It's stil
> available as I checked before posting. I forgot to add that
> to the post. Sorry.


Don't be, I have placed my order already.

(Actually, I was trying NOT to buy it as I still have hopes for a future
edition of the Brownlow version... but I need the snowball fight)
--
UFV:Wise Girls(DVD)/Die Nibelungen/Cyrano e D'Artagnan
D'Artagnan e i tre moschettieri/La vendetta della maschera
di ferro - http://www.albertofarina.tk
 
Reply With Quote
 
un fake di Alberto
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2005
GMAN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Now I'd need to use a sequence from an early scene from the movie: young
> >Napoleon is being educated in Brienne and reveals his talent for
> >military organization by directing a huge snowball fight amongst his
> >young companions.

>
> Didnt napolean get his ass kicked?


Eventually, yes, but Gance only filmed the first of the six or something
films he was planning to do on the man. From what I remember, the
snowball fight is Nap's first military triumph.

(I just checked on a synopsis on Brownlow's book, and I can confirm...
teacher Pichegru asks for the name of the winner, and Napoleon
pronounces his name with a thick corsican accent - so that the teacher
misunderstands it as Paille-au-nez. The other kids star laughing, but
Nap shuts them all up with his glare. Then Pichegru goes: "Kid, you're
going to go far. Remember Pichegru said this first").
--
UFV:Wise Girls(DVD)/Die Nibelungen/Cyrano e D'Artagnan
D'Artagnan e i tre moschettieri/La vendetta della maschera
di ferro - http://www.albertofarina.tk
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? MowGreen [MVP] ASP .Net 5 02-09-2008 01:55 AM
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version 2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? PA Bear [MS MVP] ASP .Net 0 02-05-2008 03:28 AM
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version 2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? V Green ASP .Net 0 02-05-2008 02:45 AM
ABEL-HDL jmo VHDL 3 12-04-2005 06:40 PM
Any DVD reviews for Savage Sam, Snowball Express, or Moon Spinners? David DVD Video 1 01-13-2004 07:44 PM



Advertisments