Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > USA Plasma TV's

USA Plasma TV's

andrew.upton4

Hi Group.
I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will it
work in England ?

Andy

Biz

Doubtful...

"andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%Ulte.24302$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Group.
> I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will

it
> work in England ?
>
> Andy

Alpha

No.

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Fjmte.338705$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Doubtful...
>
> "andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%Ulte.24302$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Group.
>> I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will

> it
>> work in England ?
>>
>> Andy

Mark Jones

"andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%Ulte.24302$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Group.
> I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will

it
> work in England ?

Wrong frame rate. Line voltage and frequency are also
likely to be incompatible.

docdude316

andrew.upton4 wrote:
> Hi Group.
> I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will it
> work in England ?
>
> Andy

Some Televisions are capable of displaying both PAL and NTSC, but they
are few and far between. My suggestion is to check with the
manufacturer. Maybe you can get a replacement or something directly from
them.

andrew.upton4

I was doubtful about it myself.
I just thought I'd get some other opinions !
"docdude316" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vOrte.225$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> andrew.upton4 wrote:
> > Hi Group.
> > I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will

it
> > work in England ?
> >
> > Andy

> Some Televisions are capable of displaying both PAL and NTSC, but they
> are few and far between. My suggestion is to check with the
> manufacturer. Maybe you can get a replacement or something directly from
> them.

3W

"andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%Ulte.24302$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Group.
> I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will

it
> work in England ?

Everyone seems to say no, but considering the new digital TVs (including
plasmas) can take a variety of resolutions (due to HD), I wouldn't be
surprised if it'd work.

Alpha

"3W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%Ulte.24302$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Group.
>> I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will

> it
>> work in England ?

> Everyone seems to say no, but considering the new digital TVs (including
> plasmas) can take a variety of resolutions (due to HD), I wouldn't be
> surprised if it'd work.

If the plasma has no tuner and no connection thereof, yes, you might be
right.

Mark Jones

"Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "3W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Everyone seems to say no, but considering the new digital TVs (including
> > plasmas) can take a variety of resolutions (due to HD), I wouldn't be
> > surprised if it'd work.
> >

> If the plasma has no tuner and no connection thereof, yes, you might be
> right.

In that case, it is no longer a TV. It is a monitor.

Biz

"3W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%Ulte.24302$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Group.
> > I live in England. If I bought a Sony Plasma television in America, will

> it
> > work in England ?

> Everyone seems to say no, but considering the new digital TVs (including
> plasmas) can take a variety of resolutions (due to HD), I wouldn't be
> surprised if it'd work.

The tv may work from a resolution standpoint, but the it almost assuredly
will not work due to power differences. Most TV's sold in NA are not
compatible with European power standards...