Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > The Colourised Bewitched -- sort of OK....... sort of!

The Colourised Bewitched -- sort of OK....... sort of!

anthony

I was sent a review set of the Australian release of Series One of
'Bewitched' -- here in Australia we're being offered only the
colourised version.
My natural preference would be for the original black-and-white
version. But on viewing, I can say that the colourisation is a lot
better than some other efforts I've seen -- a bit too brightly coloured
at times, but dropping colour levels to about half normal produces a
very viewable result.
I know tonal values are different, but if colour is dropped altogether,
the resulting black-and-white pic seems to offer good contrast levels
and seems a pretty fair approximation of the original black-and-white.
I'd rather have the real thing though........

free2002

i only ever remember seeing color version on Tv so which season did they
actually introduce the color episodes?

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

jayembeeNoSpam@snurcher.com

> i only ever remember seeing color version on Tv so which
> season did they actually introduce the color episodes?

Season 3.

-- jayembee

Mike

Season 4, season 3 was the last B and W season

> > i only ever remember seeing color version on Tv so which
> > season did they actually introduce the color episodes?

> Season 3.
>
> -- jayembee

Scott Baker

And then they started to remake the B&W episodes...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Season 4, season 3 was the last B and W season
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> > i only ever remember seeing color version on Tv so which
>> > season did they actually introduce the color episodes?

>> Season 3.
>>
>> -- jayembee

muzhed

"anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I was sent a review set of the Australian release of Series One of
> 'Bewitched' -- here in Australia we're being offered only the
> colourised version.
> My natural preference would be for the original black-and-white
> version. But on viewing, I can say that the colourisation is a lot
> better than some other efforts I've seen -- a bit too brightly coloured
> at times, but dropping colour levels to about half normal produces a
> very viewable result.
> I know tonal values are different, but if colour is dropped altogether,
> the resulting black-and-white pic seems to offer good contrast levels
> and seems a pretty fair approximation of the original black-and-white.
> I'd rather have the real thing though........

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!

The reason the original early season episodes of this series
and just about anything made for television around that time
were in B&W was because the producers couldn't see the
need to do it any other way. Colour (color?) transmission
in the US was a few years away and of course no-one had
any conception of the way TV shows may come to be
considered cult icons with seemingly endless repeats and the
concepts of home (tape) video and ultimately DVD were
WAY into the future.

In 2005 Woody Allen or Spielberg or Joe Newby may make
the 'artistic' choice to make a movie in B&W but I'd be sure
the choice for the filming style of a weekly sitcom in the early
1960's was 99% financially driven, i.e. colour was an
unnecessary expense.

So the way I look at it is if they can do a good job with the
colorisation, and I think these days it is more than acceptable,
just watch it (in colour), enjoy and forget about the colour
issue.

Having risked running the gauntlet of a flame war I want to
add that I have a different attitude to the film world,
especially toward what are generally regarded as classic
movies.

Indeed, Orson Welles famously stated, "Keep Ted Turner
and his goddamned Crayolas (colorisation) away from my
movie (Citizen Kane)." This, of course, ultimately represents
an artistic decision by the director.

In regard to a film like Casablanca while I would think cost
was probably the main factor for its B&W it is arguably a
better film because of it. So, I think there is a far greater
argument that can be had about the application of
colorisation in movies.

Let the debate rage on.

muzhed

Invid Fan

In article <42b41654$(E-Mail Removed)>, Scott Baker
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And then they started to remake the B&W episodes...

Most shows tend to end up remaking the earlier ones if they run long
enough and run out of ideas.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Jeff Rife

muzhed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> The reason the original early season episodes of this series
> and just about anything made for television around that time
> were in B&W was because the producers couldn't see the
> need to do it any other way. Colour (color?) transmission
> in the US was a few years away

That's wrong.

There were several color broadcasts of "real" programs in the US in 1955
and they used the same standard that analog color broadcasts in the US use
today. I know there were experiments before that using both NTSC and
other standards.

By the time "Bewitched" started in 1964, there had already been major
real series television broadcasts in color:

Sep 12, 1959 "Bonanza," TV's first full-hour Western color film series began
Jan 20, 1961 Inaugural Parade of President John F. Kennedy is presented in
color
Sep 24, 1961 Premiere of "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color," full-hour
Sunday series of color TV programs ranging from nature stories
to animated cartoons, from tales of adventure to famous
classics and musical extravaganzas.
Fall, 1962 ABC began the colorcasting of filmed cartoon shows "The
Flintstones" and "The Jetsons".

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesW...adyForADog.jpg

muzhed

"Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> muzhed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> The reason the original early season episodes of this series
>> and just about anything made for television around that time
>> were in B&W was because the producers couldn't see the
>> need to do it any other way. Colour (color?) transmission
>> in the US was a few years away

> That's wrong.
>
> There were several color broadcasts of "real" programs in the US in 1955
> and they used the same standard that analog color broadcasts in the US use
> today. I know there were experiments before that using both NTSC and
> other standards.
>
> By the time "Bewitched" started in 1964, there had already been major
> real series television broadcasts in color:
>
> Sep 12, 1959 "Bonanza," TV's first full-hour Western color film series
> began
> Jan 20, 1961 Inaugural Parade of President John F. Kennedy is presented
> in
> color
> Sep 24, 1961 Premiere of "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color,"
> full-hour
> Sunday series of color TV programs ranging from nature
> stories
> to animated cartoons, from tales of adventure to famous
> classics and musical extravaganzas.
> Fall, 1962 ABC began the colorcasting of filmed cartoon shows "The
> Flintstones" and "The Jetsons".
>
> --
> Jeff Rife |
> | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesW...adyForADog.jpg

While my grasp of the history US TV transmission I might not be
as detailed as yours if I had put the words 'Full time' in front of
"Colour (color?) transmission the US was a few years away"
the point would have been better made. I think this quote I found
in an article about the history of colour TV in the US sums it up:
"But it was not until 1966 that NBC became the first network to
show the color we all now take for granted on all of its programs."

So my basic argument that the producers of Bewitched and other
similar programs thought filming in colour was an unnecessary
expense remains the same.

muzhed

Jeff Rife

muzhed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> So my basic argument that the producers of Bewitched and other
> similar programs thought filming in colour was an unnecessary
> expense remains the same.

That's as may be, but the reason wasn't because it wasn't already happening
for other series. "Bonanza" had been showing in color for five years, and
ABC (the network that showed "Bewitched") had several programs in color
already.

The same thing is happening today. Short-sighted producers are still filming
in formats that aren't HD-friendly (in particular, editing on videotape at
SD resolution), but the more intelligent ones are filming in HD even if
their shows don't currently air in HD.

--
Jeff Rife | "Ho! Ha, ha! Guard! Turn! Parry!