Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > The last nail??

Reply
Thread Tools

The last nail??

 
 
Michael Walker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2005
> Isnt that the one with the computer that gets all horny for that musician
> that
> is upstairs?


I think so...LOL


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
kaboom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2005
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:05:01 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>>**I've only purchased one item online. In January I bought a
>>multisystem VCR with a PAL/NTSC converter (I was desperate for one). I
>>wish I was more fearless at purchasing online. Since I really do want
>>some of these flicks, I probably will do so or rope my co-worker into
>>doing it for me. I've seen those used or z-shops, do you use them
>>often?

>
>I use z-shops and/or the used vendors from the Amazon page. And
>since the payments are processed through Amazon they will make sure
>everything is OK.


**Yesterday, I went to Amazon and looked up most of Linda Hamilton's
stuff. Anything on VHS was available only through the 3rd party
vendors. I might give it a whirl. Many thanks for your (and Stan's)
info.

I just got Comcast Digital (Comcast arm-twisted me by taking away HBO
and moving it to digital-only). There was a cheesefest with Linda and
Charlie Sheen called 'The Shadow Conspiracy' on Encore. It would've
been an pretty good flick if it had a different director and, good
lord, Charlie just sucks in it. I was surprised by the very decent
score.

I'd like to add that though I like the addition of more movie
channels, I'm really not impressed by the digital upgrade. In a very
irregular fashion, channels malfunction sometimes terribly.
Pixelation, smearing, no sound or really LOUD funky electric sounds.

VH1 Classic has reminded me of the horrors of 80s music

<Bill wrote>
>>>I have tons of tapes to eventually transfer - some dating back to
>>>1977.

>
>>**Aaaaaaaah, a good year At the Motorcity Comic Con, this May, I
>>picked up a DVD-R of a 1978 Olivia Newton John special (w/Andy Gibb
>>and ABBA). Yea, so I'm an ABBA fan

>
>By dating back to 1977 - I mean tapes I recorded off the air on
>my SL-7200 Sony Beta - in Beta I mode - as there was no other mode.


**I was only 11 I remember my Dad buying a big-ass top-loading VCR
(VHS) in the early 80s. Panasonic, perhaps. Guess who had to learn how
to use it so that they could use it? Yes, me. That thing worked well
into the early 90s when it began to very occasionally eat a tape. The
main problem was that I think the contacts wore out below a couple of
buttons so you couldn't use it. A little bit of refurbishing and it
would've keep right on going.

>I just xfered from 1980 VHS tapes [ made on my 20 pound portable
>camera outfit ] and they were fine too.


**I have some Swedish stuff to transfer but my Panasonic e85 has
turned out to be a lemon and I'm debating what to do with it. Its
software glitches have progressed to where it's frozen everytime I
turn it on and I have to unplug it/plug it in and then it works. The
TVGuide feature has been a horror and I believe that's what has sent
this thing over the edge. I have a warranty at Circuit City so I
suppose I could just bring it in. I just don't want them sitting on it
for 6 weeks. When do they just replace stuff?

>>I have tons of tapes to transfer, also. And after getting all the
>>equipment to do so, I've realized that I need.......more time! My DVD
>>recorder needs a button that grants me several extra, stress-free
>>hours in the day to do more things. My Panny e85 has gone all wonky
>>and I'm debating bringing it in to Circuit City (warranty) to have
>>them fix it. I'm thinking about getting a Pioneer.

>
>I know about needing more time. And a friend just called me from
>Indianaopolis - and he had forgotten to set his Tivo for something
>on Speed Channel today - a special prior to the Indy Forumla race -
>and it has a segment where he was being interviewed. Real people
>are often better than some machine when you forget to set them


**Yea! I'm taping for my bro-in-law right now. I'll probably tape
either 6 or 12 hours worth of LeMans. I'm not sure yet.

kaboomie
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill Vermillion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:05:01 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:


>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>>>**I've only purchased one item online. In January I bought a
>>>multisystem VCR with a PAL/NTSC converter (I was desperate for
>>>one). I wish I was more fearless at purchasing online. Since I
>>>really do want some of these flicks, I probably will do so or
>>>rope my co-worker into doing it for me. I've seen those used
>>>or z-shops, do you use them often?


Sometimes buying on line is the only way to go - or at least
searching on line and making a LD phone call. I had a great phono
cartrige that accientally lost it's shank about 10 years ago.

They have been out of business for years. And last week I did
another look and suprise there was one there. The vendor had
gotten a call from an Australian dealer and bought all 23 he had in
stock - in all probability the last 23 available anyhwere in the
world

>>I use z-shops and/or the used vendors from the Amazon page. And
>>since the payments are processed through Amazon they will make sure
>>everything is OK.


>**Yesterday, I went to Amazon and looked up most of Linda Hamilton's
>stuff. Anything on VHS was available only through the 3rd party
>vendors. I might give it a whirl. Many thanks for your (and Stan's)
>info.


I've never had a problem with the 3rd party vendors, and Amazon
will guarantee the sale.

>I just got Comcast Digital (Comcast arm-twisted me by taking away HBO
>and moving it to digital-only). There was a cheesefest with Linda and
>Charlie Sheen called 'The Shadow Conspiracy' on Encore. It would've
>been an pretty good flick if it had a different director and, good
>lord, Charlie just sucks in it. I was surprised by the very decent
>score.


>I'd like to add that though I like the addition of more movie
>channels, I'm really not impressed by the digital upgrade. In a very
>irregular fashion, channels malfunction sometimes terribly.
>Pixelation, smearing, no sound or really LOUD funky electric sounds.


Sounds like BrightHouse locally which has gone downhill since
Time Warner sold it.

>VH1 Classic has reminded me of the horrors of 80s music


The music wasn't that bad. But than again I have recording in my
collection with tracks dating to the late 1890's [not a typo - 110
year old recording] to items just a few months old. That last
'hit' I worked on as an engineer was in 1980.

><Bill wrote>
>>>>I have tons of tapes to eventually transfer - some dating back to
>>>>1977.


>>>**Aaaaaaaah, a good year At the Motorcity Comic Con, this May, I
>>>picked up a DVD-R of a 1978 Olivia Newton John special (w/Andy Gibb
>>>and ABBA). Yea, so I'm an ABBA fan


>>By dating back to 1977 - I mean tapes I recorded off the air on
>>my SL-7200 Sony Beta - in Beta I mode - as there was no other mode.


>**I was only 11 I remember my Dad buying a big-ass top-loading VCR
>(VHS) in the early 80s. Panasonic, perhaps. Guess who had to learn how
>to use it so that they could use it?


That would make you and my son the same age. But I always did the
technical things and he learned well too. Was able to razor-blade
edit 1/4" tape by the time he was 7. The early recorders were
huge and heavy. Those were about as heavy as the last rack-mount
Betacam decks you'd see in studios/stations.

>>>I have tons of tapes to transfer, also. And after getting all the
>>>equipment to do so, I've realized that I need.......more time! My DVD
>>>recorder needs a button that grants me several extra, stress-free
>>>hours in the day to do more things. My Panny e85 has gone all wonky
>>>and I'm debating bringing it in to Circuit City (warranty) to have
>>>them fix it. I'm thinking about getting a Pioneer.


>>I know about needing more time. And a friend just called me from
>>Indianaopolis - and he had forgotten to set his Tivo for something
>>on Speed Channel today - a special prior to the Indy Forumla race -
>>and it has a segment where he was being interviewed. Real people
>>are often better than some machine when you forget to set them


>**Yea! I'm taping for my bro-in-law right now. I'll probably tape
>either 6 or 12 hours worth of LeMans. I'm not sure yet.


And wouldn't you know it? Stoms came by and cycled the AC power
and I only got 3 hours before it shut off. Since it had only
written data the disk showed as empty, so it was time to fire
up ISO-Buster and perform a TAO [track at once] recovery. That's a
3 step process. Load in the full image, trim off the first 34 MB,
then process the remainder to fix any problems, then load it into
an MPEG editor. Since it was full track I had the 3 hours of the
race, the tail end of Garbo's "Mata Hari" and one other that was
there before I recorded the Garbo. As long as you don't perform
a complete erase you can almost always recover anything.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 
Reply With Quote
 
kaboom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2005
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:05:01 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>>**Yesterday, I went to Amazon and looked up most of Linda Hamilton's
>>stuff. Anything on VHS was available only through the 3rd party
>>vendors. I might give it a whirl. Many thanks for your (and Stan's)
>>info.

>
>I've never had a problem with the 3rd party vendors, and Amazon
>will guarantee the sale.


**My coworker yelled at me today. She said: You just have to start
using Amazon! I know that I would have a box a week from them if I
jumped on board. I'm a CD/DVD junkie. I went searching around a couple
of department stores looking for Dante's Inferno and Children of the
Corn (LH is in them) and the stores didn't have them. Jeebus. What a
pain. They are forcing me to go to Best Buy and Circuit City. I
would've at least expected Walmart to have Dante's Inferno. However, I
did find out that they had a whole bunch of Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli
anime movies and they were $14. It's funny that they have Japanese
animes but not a mainstream movie. I bought Castle in the Sky and
Kiki's Delivery Service.

>>VH1 Classic has reminded me of the horrors of 80s music

>
>The music wasn't that bad. But than again I have recording in my
>collection with tracks dating to the late 1890's [not a typo - 110
>year old recording] to items just a few months old. That last
>'hit' I worked on as an engineer was in 1980.


**What hit was that? No, the 80s weren't that bad but I find that a
lot of the stuff I'm seeing on VH1 Classic now, MTV wouldn't even play
back then. This weekend, I was watching some 70s show on VH1 Classic
and they had some fantastic videos. There was an Allman Bros video,
the quality of it was so clear and colorful that I was amazed. (They
did Whipping Post, I love that song).

>>**I was only 11 I remember my Dad buying a big-ass top-loading VCR
>>(VHS) in the early 80s. Panasonic, perhaps. Guess who had to learn how
>>to use it so that they could use it?

>
>That would make you and my son the same age. But I always did the
>technical things and he learned well too. Was able to razor-blade
>edit 1/4" tape by the time he was 7. The early recorders were
>huge and heavy. Those were about as heavy as the last rack-mount
>Betacam decks you'd see in studios/stations.


**Man, you're a cool dad. My Dad was a mechanic and as much as my
sister and I liked cars, my Mom made him get rid of a go-kart that he
had for us. "Girls shouldn't be racing around in that thing." Only in
the last decade or so my Dad and I yak about cars and repairs all the
time. My sister autocrossed her BMW 325xi until she sold it for an X5.
Now she uses her hubby's Subaru STi to race during track days at
Limerock. What was my Mom thinking?

>>**Yea! I'm taping for my bro-in-law right now. I'll probably tape
>>either 6 or 12 hours worth of LeMans. I'm not sure yet.

>
>And wouldn't you know it? Stoms came by and cycled the AC power
>and I only got 3 hours before it shut off. Since it had only
>written data the disk showed as empty, so it was time to fire
>up ISO-Buster and perform a TAO [track at once] recovery. That's a
>3 step process. Load in the full image, trim off the first 34 MB,
>then process the remainder to fix any problems, then load it into
>an MPEG editor. Since it was full track I had the 3 hours of the
>race, the tail end of Garbo's "Mata Hari" and one other that was
>there before I recorded the Garbo. As long as you don't perform
>a complete erase you can almost always recover anything.


**A storm just rolled through here. Depending on the severity, I stand
around ready to pounce on my electronics and unplug them.

Another bit of anime news: A friend of mine volunteers as a Friend of
the Library and arranges fundraisers and whatnot. A week or two ago,
she said that someone had donated a bunch of anime VHS tapes for an
upcoming sale. (Genuine commercially-released tapes) She said that
they were probably going to charge a dollar a video. I told her to
pick some up for me. So at the sale she picked up a few and emailed me
about it. I had only heard of a few but she said that they were in
great condition. Then I decided, ya know, buy them all! So she did.
She came in the following Monday and said that they didn't really
sell. She talked to the in-charge person and managed to talk her into
selling them for $10. Yes, $10!!

I thought: Cool! So she opens the trunk and back door of her car and
shows me 3 huge boxes. I looked at her and she said: I told you there
was a bunch of them. Tonight I arranged them alphabetically and
counted them. I paid $10 for 121 tapes!! All in beautiful condition.
I'm thinking: Hey, when's the next Friends of the Library sale?!

kaboomie

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Vermillion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:05:01 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:


>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>>>**Yesterday, I went to Amazon and looked up most of Linda Hamilton's
>>>stuff. Anything on VHS was available only through the 3rd party
>>>vendors. I might give it a whirl. Many thanks for your (and Stan's)
>>>info.


>>I've never had a problem with the 3rd party vendors, and Amazon
>>will guarantee the sale.


>**My coworker yelled at me today. She said: You just have to start
>using Amazon! I know that I would have a box a week from them if I
>jumped on board. I'm a CD/DVD junkie. I went searching around a couple
>of department stores looking for Dante's Inferno and Children of the
>Corn (LH is in them) and the stores didn't have them. Jeebus. What a
>pain. They are forcing me to go to Best Buy and Circuit City. I
>would've at least expected Walmart to have Dante's Inferno. However, I
>did find out that they had a whole bunch of Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli
>anime movies and they were $14. It's funny that they have Japanese
>animes but not a mainstream movie. I bought Castle in the Sky and
>Kiki's Delivery Service.


>>>VH1 Classic has reminded me of the horrors of 80s music


>>The music wasn't that bad. But than again I have recording in my
>>collection with tracks dating to the late 1890's [not a typo - 110
>>year old recording] to items just a few months old. That last
>>'hit' I worked on as an engineer was in 1980.


>**What hit was that?


Two albums that went to #6 adn #1 on the funk/soul charts.
Cameosis and Secret Omen by Cameo. There were 3 top 10 singles
from those two. Larry Blakmon and I mixed the ablums in about
35 hours each - and I've seen sessions where that much time is
spend on a single.

And if you look carefully you can find my name hidden in the
engineering credits on 2 Molly Hatchet LPs, Baldry's Out - [Gold in
Canda - not even plastic in the US] and many things that seemed to
disappear in days of their release.

>No, the 80s weren't that bad but I find that a
>lot of the stuff I'm seeing on VH1 Classic now, MTV wouldn't even play
>back then. This weekend, I was watching some 70s show on VH1 Classic
>and they had some fantastic videos. There was an Allman Bros video,
>the quality of it was so clear and colorful that I was amazed. (They
>did Whipping Post, I love that song).


>>>**I was only 11 I remember my Dad buying a big-ass
>>>top-loading VCR (VHS) in the early 80s. Panasonic, perhaps.
>>>Guess who had to learn how to use it so that they could use it?


>>That would make you and my son the same age. But I always did the
>>technical things and he learned well too. Was able to razor-blade
>>edit 1/4" tape by the time he was 7. The early recorders were
>>huge and heavy. Those were about as heavy as the last rack-mount
>>Betacam decks you'd see in studios/stations.


>**Man, you're a cool dad.


I was a music director in radio and listened to a lot of disks at
home, so when he was about 2 1/2 I bought him a cheap record player
to keep him busy and his hands off of my records.

His friends thought it was 'cool' that he had a dad that like
rock-n-roll. And they were a big surprised when I bought a
Metallica CD. But my recent purchases have been the Peter Cincotti
CD, and a very interesting artist Yul Anderson who has an
interesting version of All Along The Watchtower - which I heard
on the soundtrack of "The Dancer Upstairs"

If there's a melody to be found - even remotely - I can like it as
my tastes cross all genres. Music it too much fun to get hung up
on only one type.

>My Dad was a mechanic and as much as my
>sister and I liked cars, my Mom made him get rid of a go-kart that he
>had for us. "Girls shouldn't be racing around in that thing."


And they don't say that after the Indy race a couple of weeks ago -
which was almost won by a rookie female - if they hadn't misjudged
on the fuel.

> Only in the last decade or so my Dad and I yak about cars and
>repairs all the time. My sister autocrossed her BMW 325xi until
>she sold it for an X5. Now she uses her hubby's Subaru STi to
>race during track days at Limerock. What was my Mom thinking?


Gawd that sounds great. I've not been on a track in years - it
costs too much - and that was in the days when you could often
drive to the track, race the same car, and drive it back.

[rest deleted - wjv]


--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 
Reply With Quote
 
kaboom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-25-2005
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 03:05:01 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

>kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


<snippage>
>>**What hit was that?

>
>Two albums that went to #6 adn #1 on the funk/soul charts.
>Cameosis and Secret Omen by Cameo. There were 3 top 10 singles
>from those two. Larry Blakmon and I mixed the ablums in about
>35 hours each - and I've seen sessions where that much time is
>spend on a single.
>
>And if you look carefully you can find my name hidden in the
>engineering credits on 2 Molly Hatchet LPs, Baldry's Out - [Gold in
>Canda - not even plastic in the US] and many things that seemed to
>disappear in days of their release.


**Well, it's still pretty cool

>>**Man, you're a cool dad.

>
>I was a music director in radio and listened to a lot of disks at
>home, so when he was about 2 1/2 I bought him a cheap record player
>to keep him busy and his hands off of my records.


**My Dad, on the other hand, has never liked music. My Mom, bless her,
just loves music. Thank god! My Dad did have a few James Bond
soundtrack albums that I loved. However, no one told me that if you
leave Goldfinger outside, out of the sleeve and laying on the top of a
garbage can, in the sun when it was 90 degrees that it would melt into
the shape of said can's handle. Why did I do that? I don't know, I was
only 6.

>His friends thought it was 'cool' that he had a dad that like
>rock-n-roll. And they were a big surprised when I bought a
>Metallica CD. But my recent purchases have been the Peter Cincotti
>CD, and a very interesting artist Yul Anderson who has an
>interesting version of All Along The Watchtower - which I heard
>on the soundtrack of "The Dancer Upstairs"


**My newest purchases are: Ringside, Verve Remixed Vol.1, St. Germain
"Tourist," sndtrk "Spirited Away," NeoJapan Neosoul Vol 1., Garbage
"Bleed Like Me," Kasabian, Kelly Clarkson "Breakaway." Yea yea so I
like Kelly Clarkson.

>If there's a melody to be found - even remotely - I can like it as
>my tastes cross all genres. Music it too much fun to get hung up
>on only one type.


**I hear ya. I have a huge CD collection that is all over the place. I
can tell you, though, there's no country (except for Trisha Yearwood)
and no rap. My fave band has been and will always be ABBA.

Lately, I've been into Japanese music. On AZN (used to be the
International Channel) there's a show called Revolution and it plays
Japanese and Korean music videos. Many of the videos are stunning.
Some of my fave Japanese artists: Rie Fu, L'arc-en-Ciel, Mika
Nakashima, Soul'd Out, Sowelu, there are more that I just can't think
of at the moment. The cruddy part is that getting the CDs is a pain in
the ass and really expensive. I've managed to pick up a few things
here and there because of the lovely tofurecords.com which is an
American company that releases some Japanese stuff here with
reasonable prices. I've also picked some stuff up at the Motorcity
Comic Con because the anime vendors will carry them.

>>My Dad was a mechanic and as much as my
>>sister and I liked cars, my Mom made him get rid of a go-kart that he
>>had for us. "Girls shouldn't be racing around in that thing."

>
>And they don't say that after the Indy race a couple of weeks ago -
>which was almost won by a rookie female - if they hadn't misjudged
>on the fuel.


**Danica Patrick. She used to race in the Toyota Atlantic Series. Now
there's another woman racing in that series named Katherine Legge
(sp?) and she's winning! That's pretty cool.

>> Only in the last decade or so my Dad and I yak about cars and
>>repairs all the time. My sister autocrossed her BMW 325xi until
>>she sold it for an X5. Now she uses her hubby's Subaru STi to
>>race during track days at Limerock. What was my Mom thinking?

>
>Gawd that sounds great. I've not been on a track in years - it
>costs too much - and that was in the days when you could often
>drive to the track, race the same car, and drive it back.


**That's what my sister does though it's not a "race" so to speak. It
depends on whatever they happen to be doing that day. They live close
to Limerock, so around the end of May, she drove to Limerock and raced
around in the STi and drove home. Her hubby thinks it's hot He
races his M3. He had it tweaked by Will Turner Motorsports and it went
from being a really cool car to only good on the track car. Oh
well. He taught my sister to drive a stick. She liked it so much, she
kept telling me to get a manual. So in 2003, I traded in an
8-month-old Jetta 2.0l automatic for a new Jetta 1.8T 5-speed. Now I'm
a total convert but you won't catch me racing it. It shifts like
poo compared to the BMW.

Actual DVD content: Today, I went DVD shopping for some Linda Hamilton
movies. I had a list! I was prepared. Well, I should've just ordered
online. I went to Circuit City on Thursday and picked up Dante's Peak,
Children of the Corn and King Kong Lives. Looking at the Dante's Peak,
it looks like it's an older version with a really cheesy cover-pick.
There's a newer version available but I can't find it anywhere. Today,
I went to Best Buy, MediaPlay and the suckiest mall ever. It had a
tiny FYE tucked into a corner and that's it. I struck out everywhere
but MediaPlay which had Mr. Destiny.

Lately, there's been a lack of DVDs that I run out to buy on Tuesdays.
What's with that? I noticed that the amount of TV shows coming out has
exploded however.

kaboomie


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Vermillion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 03:05:01 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
>
>>kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


.....

>Actual DVD content: Today, I went DVD shopping for some Linda Hamilton
>movies. I had a list! I was prepared. Well, I should've just ordered
>online. I went to Circuit City on Thursday and picked up Dante's Peak,
>Children of the Corn and King Kong Lives. Looking at the Dante's Peak,
>it looks like it's an older version with a really cheesy cover-pick.
>There's a newer version available but I can't find it anywhere.


The version I have is a couple of years old. It has a 'making of'
type documentary on that.

I caught part on cable one night and saw a building and thought
"there can't be two buildings like that" and then when the 4x4 was
driven through a garage door [next to the viaduct] I realized that
was the town I had grown up in.

So I'm more affectionate toward that film than others. It's
interesting when you see one scene shot in one direction, and then
compare it to another shot from the opposite direction with huge
changes to the building in the film "Heaven's Gate".

I've gotten some hard-to-find DVDs through Amazon's dealers. Some
in the 'used' section are new. And Amazon guarantees everything.
IMO it's beats looking through the shelves at the local stores -
which while they may had the DVD you can't find it because someone
put it back on the wrong shelf.

> Today,
>I went to Best Buy, MediaPlay and the suckiest mall ever. It had a
>tiny FYE tucked into a corner and that's it. I struck out everywhere
>but MediaPlay which had Mr. Destiny.


>Lately, there's been a lack of DVDs that I run out to buy on Tuesdays.
>What's with that? I noticed that the amount of TV shows coming out has
>exploded however.


The same thing for me. It used to be I'd have to choose from the
new releases - but now I find very few Tuesday releases that
interest me.

The Anniversary Edition of Casino [ De Niro / Pesci ] , original
German cut of Das Boot, The Singing Detective [original British
6 episode version] were my recent purchase. The latter via Amazon
dealer at a far better price than I could find locally.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 
Reply With Quote
 
kaboom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2005
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:05:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>>Actual DVD content: Today, I went DVD shopping for some Linda Hamilton
>>movies. I had a list! I was prepared. Well, I should've just ordered
>>online. I went to Circuit City on Thursday and picked up Dante's Peak,
>>Children of the Corn and King Kong Lives. Looking at the Dante's Peak,
>>it looks like it's an older version with a really cheesy cover-pick.
>>There's a newer version available but I can't find it anywhere.

>
>The version I have is a couple of years old. It has a 'making of'
>type documentary on that.


**An aside: I watched King Kong Lives the other day and I have to say
that it's one of the WORST movies I have EVER seen. I couldn't stop
laughing because the dialogue was atrocious, the apes were god-danged
stupid! Smiling at each other and crap. What the hell?!

I see that my copy of Dante's has that 'making of' thing on it. I just
happen to hate the cover. I really like the cover of the version that
I see on Amazon. Just like old albums, I like nice covers to my DVDs.

>I caught part on cable one night and saw a building and thought
>"there can't be two buildings like that" and then when the 4x4 was
>driven through a garage door [next to the viaduct] I realized that
>was the town I had grown up in.


**That's kinda cool. I've had my old hometown portrayed in a TV film
and I had a good laugh. It was California desperately trying to be a
small town in northwest Connecticut. They desperately needed far more
pine trees and small curvy roads

>I've gotten some hard-to-find DVDs through Amazon's dealers. Some
>in the 'used' section are new. And Amazon guarantees everything.
>IMO it's beats looking through the shelves at the local stores -
>which while they may had the DVD you can't find it because someone
>put it back on the wrong shelf.


**Have you ever mixed an order from Amazon, for instance, a mix of
DVDs from Amazon and a vendor? Or is it all done separately? Should I
order separately? Like order all Amazon stuff and then later order
from vendors? Sorry for the questions, just not sure how it works. I'd
like to use accelerated delivery.

>>Lately, there's been a lack of DVDs that I run out to buy on Tuesdays.
>>What's with that? I noticed that the amount of TV shows coming out has
>>exploded however.

>
>The same thing for me. It used to be I'd have to choose from the
>new releases - but now I find very few Tuesday releases that
>interest me.


**Well, this week is another wash-out. I did, however, pick up a CD by
The Mars Volta at Best Buy because it was on-sale for $5.99.

It's depressing, nothing in the theaters, nothing to buy.

>The Anniversary Edition of Casino [ De Niro / Pesci ] , original
>German cut of Das Boot, The Singing Detective [original British
>6 episode version] were my recent purchase. The latter via Amazon
>dealer at a far better price than I could find locally.


**I've never seen an uncut version of Casino, I always think: Hey, I'd
rather by watching Goodfellas when I'm watching Casino I *love*
Goodfellas.

kaboomie

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Vermillion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:05:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:


[much deleted - wjv]

>>I've gotten some hard-to-find DVDs through Amazon's dealers. Some
>>in the 'used' section are new. And Amazon guarantees everything.
>>IMO it's beats looking through the shelves at the local stores -
>>which while they may had the DVD you can't find it because someone
>>put it back on the wrong shelf.


>**Have you ever mixed an order from Amazon, for instance, a mix
>of DVDs from Amazon and a vendor? Or is it all done separately?
>Should I order separately? Like order all Amazon stuff and then
>later order from vendors? Sorry for the questions, just not sure
>how it works. I'd like to use accelerated delivery.


They are done separately. You can put them all on one order, but
only the ones from Amazon will ship from there, and the other
orders will be sent to the vendors. The nice thing about it is
that if you place it through Amazon and have problems, they will
make sure things are fixed if there is a problem, or will instantly
refund the money via a credit on the credit card you used.

I only had one order that did not show up. Vendor said if it
showed up I could keep it free of charge, and Amazon put the credit
on my account.

>>>Lately, there's been a lack of DVDs that I run out to buy on
>>>Tuesdays. What's with that? I noticed that the amount of TV
>>>shows coming out has exploded however.


>>The same thing for me. It used to be I'd have to choose from the
>>new releases - but now I find very few Tuesday releases that
>>interest me.


>**Well, this week is another wash-out. I did, however, pick up a CD by
>The Mars Volta at Best Buy because it was on-sale for $5.99.


>It's depressing, nothing in the theaters, nothing to buy.


I've wondered that since the DVDs seem to have a lot of TV series
re-runs if H'wood decided that would be a good market. There have
been at least 5 feature films this year that were originally TV
series. And so far there have been 19 weeks of box-office receipts
lower than they were last year. Too bad that H'wood seems only to
know how to copy things and trying to make them blockbusters. The
films that aren't pushed that hard seem to make it on quality.

>>The Anniversary Edition of Casino [ De Niro / Pesci ] , original
>>German cut of Das Boot, The Singing Detective [original British
>>6 episode version] were my recent purchase. The latter via Amazon
>>dealer at a far better price than I could find locally.


>**I've never seen an uncut version of Casino, I always think: Hey, I'd
>rather by watching Goodfellas when I'm watching Casino I *love*
>Goodfellas.


It has had a re-issue earlier this year. Casino is a Scorcese
film. And it's seem to do a good job of capturing Las Vegas how it
was in the early days.

I was working a vendors booth at Comdex at Las Vegas in 1983. And
stories I heard from people who had been there a long time, and
what I saw, seem to be quite accurately portrayed in the film.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 
Reply With Quote
 
kaboom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2005
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 22:25:01 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

<re: mixing Amazon and vendor orders>

>They are done separately. You can put them all on one order, but
>only the ones from Amazon will ship from there, and the other
>orders will be sent to the vendors. The nice thing about it is
>that if you place it through Amazon and have problems, they will
>make sure things are fixed if there is a problem, or will instantly
>refund the money via a credit on the credit card you used.


**That's cool. Do you pay shipping all in the one lump sum? Which
shipping method do you prefer?

As an aside, thanks for the Amazon help, Bill.

<snippage>

<boom wrote>

>>**Well, this week is another wash-out. I did, however, pick up a CD by
>>The Mars Volta at Best Buy because it was on-sale for $5.99.

>
>>It's depressing, nothing in the theaters, nothing to buy.

>
>I've wondered that since the DVDs seem to have a lot of TV series
>re-runs if H'wood decided that would be a good market. There have
>been at least 5 feature films this year that were originally TV
>series. And so far there have been 19 weeks of box-office receipts
>lower than they were last year. Too bad that H'wood seems only to
>know how to copy things and trying to make them blockbusters. The
>films that aren't pushed that hard seem to make it on quality.


**There's also the remakes of previous flicks. There are rumors of a
re-do of the Poseiden Adventure and the Towering Inferno. My guess is
that with HUGE advance in CGI and special fx, directors want another
shot at these 70s classics. Even musically, you have someone doing
some Supertramp and Def Leppard doing 'No Matter What' by Badfinder.

Well, today, I perused the new flyers and, once again, nothing I feel
like buying, not even any CDs. :::tsk:::

>>**I've never seen an uncut version of Casino, I always think: Hey, I'd
>>rather by watching Goodfellas when I'm watching Casino I *love*
>>Goodfellas.

>
>It has had a re-issue earlier this year. Casino is a Scorcese
>film. And it's seem to do a good job of capturing Las Vegas how it
>was in the early days.


**I think the problem is that I've only seen bits and pieces of Casino
and it's so cut up when it's on regular TV that I get annoyed and a
little confused.

>I was working a vendors booth at Comdex at Las Vegas in 1983. And
>stories I heard from people who had been there a long time, and
>what I saw, seem to be quite accurately portrayed in the film.


**I hope you never ran into the Joe Pesce character

kaboomie
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to replace the last (and only last) character in a string? Johny Python 8 05-03-2007 09:24 PM
how to delete last node of a Linked list if you only know the address of last node. sangram C Programming 16 12-01-2006 08:57 PM
Passed 70-272 last Friday ... now a MCDST at long last! Devo-McDuff MCDST 7 04-20-2006 09:23 PM
last post..some progress =?Utf-8?B?QnVmaGFs?= Wireless Networking 1 11-24-2004 07:25 PM



Advertisments