Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > The last nail??

The last nail??

kaboom

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:55:01 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

>In article <u6Jre.98371$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Michael Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>When was the last time you bought a movie on this antiquated format?

>Actually about 2 months ago. Soemthing that has been out-of-print
>for years and will probably not be available on DVD - at least
>anytime soon. I got the tape - comlete with the coupon that had an
>expiration date of 1994 - and transfered it to DVD.
>
>A VHS copy is better than nothing at all. And I've only bought
>about 20 commerical VHS tapes in the 20+ years I've owned VCRs.

**Hi Bill! Where did you get the tape? Currently, I'm trying to
collect Linda Hamilton stuff and a lot of it is on out-of-print VHS
tapes. Movies like TAG--The Assassination Game, a lovely, early 80s
piece of cheese that I actually remember watching on HBO a million
years ago. Any suggestions?

In keeping with the topic, I have very few commercial VHS tapes but I
do tons of recording and re-recording. Yes, I do have a DVD recorder
so no "get a DVD recorder" comments from the peanut gallery, thank you
very much Maybe it's a nail in the coffin of commercial tapes but I
still like using my VCRs.

kaboomie

Stan

kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

snip

> **Hi Bill! Where did you get the tape? Currently, I'm trying to
> collect Linda Hamilton stuff and a lot of it is on out-of-print VHS
> tapes. Movies like TAG--The Assassination Game, a lovely, early 80s
> piece of cheese that I actually remember watching on HBO a million
> years ago. Any suggestions?

Half.com has 11 copies available right now.

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:55:01 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
>
>>In article <u6Jre.98371$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>Michael Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>When was the last time you bought a movie on this antiquated format?

>>Actually about 2 months ago. Soemthing that has been out-of-print
>>for years and will probably not be available on DVD - at least
>>anytime soon. I got the tape - comlete with the coupon that had an
>>expiration date of 1994 - and transfered it to DVD.

>>A VHS copy is better than nothing at all. And I've only bought
>>about 20 commerical VHS tapes in the 20+ years I've owned VCRs.

>**Hi Bill! Where did you get the tape? Currently, I'm trying to
>collect Linda Hamilton stuff and a lot of it is on out-of-print VHS
>tapes. Movies like TAG--The Assassination Game, a lovely, early 80s
>piece of cheese that I actually remember watching on HBO a million
>years ago. Any suggestions?

Actually you can find all sorts of out-of-print things by going
to the 'used' or 'z-shops' at Amazon. Other times it's just
searching on the 'net until something comes up.

>In keeping with the topic, I have very few commercial VHS tapes but I
>do tons of recording and re-recording. Yes, I do have a DVD recorder
>so no "get a DVD recorder" comments from the peanut gallery, thank you
>very much Maybe it's a nail in the coffin of commercial tapes but I
>still like using my VCRs.

I have tons of tapes to eventually transfer - some dating back to
1977.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>In article <u6Jre.98371$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Michael Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>When was the last time you bought a movie on this antiquated format?

>Actually about 2 months ago. Soemthing that has been out-of-print
>for years and will probably not be available on DVD - at least
>anytime soon. I got the tape - comlete with the coupon that had an
>expiration date of 1994 - and transfered it to DVD.
>
>A VHS copy is better than nothing at all. And I've only bought
>about 20 commerical VHS tapes in the 20+ years I've owned VCRs.
>
>Bill

Thats what i had to do with a concert tape of "STYX, Caught in The Act"

No DVD exists

kaboom

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:52:48 GMT, Stan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>snip
>
>> **Hi Bill! Where did you get the tape? Currently, I'm trying to
>> collect Linda Hamilton stuff and a lot of it is on out-of-print VHS
>> tapes. Movies like TAG--The Assassination Game, a lovely, early 80s
>> piece of cheese that I actually remember watching on HBO a million
>> years ago. Any suggestions?

>Half.com has 11 copies available right now.

**Hey Stan. Have you ever purchased anything from vendors off of
half.com? Would you recommend it?

kaboomie

kaboom

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:55:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>**Hi Bill! Where did you get the tape? Currently, I'm trying to
>>collect Linda Hamilton stuff and a lot of it is on out-of-print VHS
>>tapes. Movies like TAG--The Assassination Game, a lovely, early 80s
>>piece of cheese that I actually remember watching on HBO a million
>>years ago. Any suggestions?

>Actually you can find all sorts of out-of-print things by going
>to the 'used' or 'z-shops' at Amazon. Other times it's just
>searching on the 'net until something comes up.

**I've only purchased one item online. In January I bought a
multisystem VCR with a PAL/NTSC converter (I was desperate for one). I
wish I was more fearless at purchasing online. Since I really do want
some of these flicks, I probably will do so or rope my co-worker into
doing it for me. I've seen those used or z-shops, do you use them
often?

>>In keeping with the topic, I have very few commercial VHS tapes but I
>>do tons of recording and re-recording. Yes, I do have a DVD recorder
>>so no "get a DVD recorder" comments from the peanut gallery, thank you
>>very much Maybe it's a nail in the coffin of commercial tapes but I
>>still like using my VCRs.

>I have tons of tapes to eventually transfer - some dating back to
>1977.

**Aaaaaaaah, a good year At the Motorcity Comic Con, this May, I
picked up a DVD-R of a 1978 Olivia Newton John special (w/Andy Gibb
and ABBA). Yea, so I'm an ABBA fan It was actually really decent
looking so I guess it was off of the laserdisc issue. I also picked up
an old Japanese anime version of Jack and the Beanstalk (Jack to Mame
no Ki) from that same year (I believe). I haven't looked at it yet
though.

I have tons of tapes to transfer, also. And after getting all the
equipment to do so, I've realized that I need.......more time! My DVD
recorder needs a button that grants me several extra, stress-free
hours in the day to do more things. My Panny e85 has gone all wonky
and I'm debating bringing it in to Circuit City (warranty) to have
them fix it. I'm thinking about getting a Pioneer.

kaboomie

Stan

kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> **Hey Stan. Have you ever purchased anything from vendors off of
> half.com? Would you recommend it?

I have bought and sold a number of items without a problem. YMMV.

GMAN

In article <sSmse.55$(E-Mail Removed)>, Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>GMAN wrote:
>
>>>Actually about 2 months ago. Soemthing that has been out-of-print
>>>for years and will probably not be available on DVD - at least
>>>anytime soon. I got the tape - comlete with the coupon that had an
>>>expiration date of 1994 - and transfered it to DVD.
>>>
>>>A VHS copy is better than nothing at all. And I've only bought
>>>about 20 commerical VHS tapes in the 20+ years I've owned VCRs.
>>>

>> Thats what i had to do with a concert tape of "STYX, Caught in The Act"
>>
>> No DVD exists

>While, more to the point, I've had to DVD-R some of my no-DVD VHS tapes
>to keep them from disintegrating--
>
>(And on that note, thank you, MGM, for finally putting "The Thin Blue
>Line" on indestructable commercial DVD, but there's still that "Electric
>Dreams" thing to work out...)

Isnt that the one with the computer that gets all horny for that musician that
is upstairs?

Derek Janssen

kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:55:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>kaboom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>**Hi Bill! Where did you get the tape? Currently, I'm trying to
>>>collect Linda Hamilton stuff and a lot of it is on out-of-print VHS
>>>tapes. Movies like TAG--The Assassination Game, a lovely, early 80s
>>>piece of cheese that I actually remember watching on HBO a million
>>>years ago. Any suggestions?

>>Actually you can find all sorts of out-of-print things by going
>>to the 'used' or 'z-shops' at Amazon. Other times it's just
>>searching on the 'net until something comes up.

>**I've only purchased one item online. In January I bought a
>multisystem VCR with a PAL/NTSC converter (I was desperate for one). I
>wish I was more fearless at purchasing online. Since I really do want
>some of these flicks, I probably will do so or rope my co-worker into
>doing it for me. I've seen those used or z-shops, do you use them
>often?

I use z-shops and/or the used vendors from the Amazon page. And
since the payments are processed through Amazon they will make sure
everything is OK.

I had one item that never showed up. I emailed the vendor and did
not get a reply in two days so I emailed Amazon. They contacted
the vendor and also credited my account for the purchase. The also
forward the note from the vendor that if the item ever did show up
I could keep it - free of charge.

I've only had that one problem. And since most of the books I get
are technical or out-of-the-maintream, I seldom use Amazon for
books. Tech books I get from bookpool.com, and others I perform
searches at abebooks.com - which is a database of about 40,000+
used book dealers around the world. I found one book I was looking
for at $3.00 US but with shipping from Europe - and estimated 6
weeks, I spent $1.00 more and got at 5 times the price but only
$3.00 shipping from California.

Research the places you buy from and check if they are reputable.
I have only bought one thing from E-bay. Too many people that
don't have store-fronts [real or virtual] to back them up so it's
almost like pig-in-a-poke.

>>>In keeping with the topic, I have very few commercial VHS tapes
>>>but I do tons of recording and re-recording. Yes, I do have
>>>a DVD recorder so no "get a DVD recorder" comments from the
>>>peanut gallery, thank you very much Maybe it's a nail in the
>>>coffin of commercial tapes but I still like using my VCRs.

>>I have tons of tapes to eventually transfer - some dating back to
>>1977.

>**Aaaaaaaah, a good year At the Motorcity Comic Con, this May, I
>picked up a DVD-R of a 1978 Olivia Newton John special (w/Andy Gibb
>and ABBA). Yea, so I'm an ABBA fan

By dating back to 1977 - I mean tapes I recorded off the air on
my SL-7200 Sony Beta - in Beta I mode - as there was no other mode.

I just xfered from 1980 VHS tapes [ made on my 20 pound portable
camera outfit ] and they were fine too.

>I have tons of tapes to transfer, also. And after getting all the
>equipment to do so, I've realized that I need.......more time! My DVD
>recorder needs a button that grants me several extra, stress-free
>hours in the day to do more things. My Panny e85 has gone all wonky
>and I'm debating bringing it in to Circuit City (warranty) to have
>them fix it. I'm thinking about getting a Pioneer.

I know about needing more time. And a friend just called me from
Indianaopolis - and he had forgotten to set his Tivo for something
on Speed Channel today - a special prior to the Indy Forumla race -
and it has a segment where he was being interviewed. Real people
are often better than some machine when you forget to set them

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com