Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > GAH! burner stuck at 1.6x!

GAH! burner stuck at 1.6x!

Brian

I got a brand new (manufactured in may 2005) pioneer dvr-109 burner in a usb
2.0 external enclosure online. It works just fine, only the only speed it
will write at is 1.6x!

I do have usb 2.0 on my notebook (i run other usb 2.0 items just fine) thats
not the issue... I have updated to the latest firmware, tried three
different medias (now just do simulation to save the media)... different
softwares... everything writes at 1.6x regardless of what burn speed I
select (from 2x to 16x).

I am baffled at what is wrong here. It is a brand new drive as you can see
from the manufacture date... what are the odds it is the external enclosure
chips? I have no idea what to do here. I've looked through all the options
and cant find any DMA settings for it to make sure its on UDMA mode 4, must
not be available to adjust on usb 2.0...

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Ideally I would want to put it
in a desktop to see how it works outside of this enclosure but I'm stuck
with a laptop so its not a real option...

thanks for any help, I am getting annoyed at this brand new combo doing what
it is doing!!

aloha nui ku'u ipo

Impmon

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 08:47:20 GMT, "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Ideally I would want to put it
>in a desktop to see how it works outside of this enclosure but I'm stuck
>with a laptop so its not a real option.

A few things come to my mind:

The external enclosure may be only USB 2.0 compatible but not true USB
2.0 so you get stuck at measly 12 M/sec. You could quickly test that
by plugging into any non 2.0 port (on older computer if needed). If
you get a message in Windows that you get better performance if
plugged into 2.0, your case is USB 2.0. If you get no message, you
got shafted by a somewhat deciptive ad on the package.

You sure your drive is plugged into USB 2.0 port? Some onboard USB
2.0 are often only to certain port (usually next to PS/2 ports) and
other ports (like the front port header) are only USB 1.1

Poor quality cable?

Your DVD blanks are rated for higher than 1.6x?

Bill Vermillion

In article <smTpe.4385$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I got a brand new (manufactured in may 2005) pioneer dvr-109
>burner in a usb 2.0 external enclosure online. It works just
>fine, only the only speed it will write at is 1.6x!

>I do have usb 2.0 on my notebook (i run other usb 2.0 items
>just fine) thats not the issue... I have updated to the latest
>firmware, tried three different medias (now just do simulation to
>save the media)... different softwares... everything writes at
>1.6x regardless of what burn speed I select (from 2x to 16x).

USB 2.0 can run at either 12Megabit/sec or 300Megabit/sec.

>I am baffled at what is wrong here. It is a brand new drive
>as you can see from the manufacture date... what are the odds
>it is the external enclosure chips? I have no idea what to do
>here. I've looked through all the options and cant find any DMA
>settings for it to make sure its on UDMA mode 4, must not be
>available to adjust on usb 2.0...

>If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Ideally I would
>want to put it in a desktop to see how it works outside of this
>enclosure but I'm stuck with a laptop so its not a real option...

I have no idea if this applies to the USB side, but I've had HDs
and DVD writers slow down.

I'm running XP-Pro, and MS in it's idea that it knows more than you
do, or need to know, will reset the DMA settings to PIO if it
has read/write problems, which can be caused by a busy system.

I wound up the other day with 1.4X reads and writes on my
internal DVD writer - where it normally reads between 6x and 8x
and will write at 8X on good media.

Going to the system settings I found the DVD writer running PIO
mode and the selected pulldown also showed "PIO Mode only".

The cure is to change the tab to "Use DMA if available" and
then DELETE that interface from the system and reboot.

Upon reboot it will find new hardware. On my DVD writer things
were working right after that.

On my primary HD which went to PIO, doing the above came up with
the 'found new hardware', the system installed the IDE interface,
and since it was the primary HD, it required one more reboot.

As I said I have no idea if this applicable to USB, but it
certainly is for devices attached to IDE interfaces. I have the
primary HD, the seconcary HD for my video, and the DVD all on
different interfaces - I have an addon IDE/SATA interface where the
large secondary HD lives.

This fix seems not to be well known. A reboot without changing the
above when it happens will not fix the problem.

Bill
BIll

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 09:38:59 -0400, Impmon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 08:47:20 GMT, "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Ideally I would want to put it
>>in a desktop to see how it works outside of this enclosure but I'm stuck
>>with a laptop so its not a real option.

>A few things come to my mind:
>

>Poor quality cable?

An old USB1 cable will not work at USB2 speeds. If the cable is not
the clear silver shielded type with damper toroids at each end then it
may indeed be the cable. I've experienced this problem.

.. Steve ..

Jeff Rife

Steve(JazzHunter) ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> >Poor quality cable?

> An old USB1 cable will not work at USB2 speeds.

It might work, and it might not. I've seen both cases.

--
Jeff Rife | "I don't have to be Ray Liotta: movie star,
| anymore. I can be Ray Liotta: Maya's boyfriend.
| All I want to do is regular, boring, ordinary
| couple things."
| "Then you, sir, have hit the soul-mate lottery."
| -- Ray Liotta and Nina Van Horn, "Just Shoot Me"

Brian

Hi all. I solved this annoying issue re: my 16x burner USB 2.0 doing no
more than 1.7x burns.

I brought it to work and installed nero on two computers and each
computer did the same as home, burning at 1.7x. Then I took out the dvd
drive and installed it via IDE in one of the towers and tried nero
again, and what do you know but the burner was going full speed just as
it should!

My problem is the usb 2.0 external enclosure. Either the enclosure
isn't 2.0 (though it is advertised on every internet site as being
2.0.... this is far fetched to be the case I think) or the enclosure
hardware is simply malfunctioning. Regardless, atleast I know now that
the burner itself is AOK and the problem is in the enclosure, now I
need to try to get the people to send me a new enclosure...

glad to know its not the drive, but still sucks I cant use it until i
get a new enclosure and i'll be damed after paying for this one if i
have to pay for another!!

"Bill Vermillion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <smTpe.4385$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I got a brand new (manufactured in may 2005) pioneer dvr-109
>>burner in a usb 2.0 external enclosure online. It works just
>>fine, only the only speed it will write at is 1.6x!

>>I do have usb 2.0 on my notebook (i run other usb 2.0 items
>>just fine) thats not the issue... I have updated to the latest
>>firmware, tried three different medias (now just do simulation to
>>save the media)... different softwares... everything writes at
>>1.6x regardless of what burn speed I select (from 2x to 16x).

> USB 2.0 can run at either 12Megabit/sec or 300Megabit/sec.
>
>>I am baffled at what is wrong here. It is a brand new drive
>>as you can see from the manufacture date... what are the odds
>>it is the external enclosure chips? I have no idea what to do
>>here. I've looked through all the options and cant find any DMA
>>settings for it to make sure its on UDMA mode 4, must not be
>>available to adjust on usb 2.0...

>>If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Ideally I would
>>want to put it in a desktop to see how it works outside of this
>>enclosure but I'm stuck with a laptop so its not a real option...

> I have no idea if this applies to the USB side, but I've had HDs
> and DVD writers slow down.
>
> I'm running XP-Pro, and MS in it's idea that it knows more than you
> do, or need to know, will reset the DMA settings to PIO if it
> has read/write problems, which can be caused by a busy system.
>
> I wound up the other day with 1.4X reads and writes on my
> internal DVD writer - where it normally reads between 6x and 8x
> and will write at 8X on good media.
>
> Going to the system settings I found the DVD writer running PIO
> mode and the selected pulldown also showed "PIO Mode only".
>
> The cure is to change the tab to "Use DMA if available" and
> then DELETE that interface from the system and reboot.
>
> Upon reboot it will find new hardware. On my DVD writer things
> were working right after that.
>
> On my primary HD which went to PIO, doing the above came up with
> the 'found new hardware', the system installed the IDE interface,
> and since it was the primary HD, it required one more reboot.
>
> As I said I have no idea if this applicable to USB, but it
> certainly is for devices attached to IDE interfaces. I have the
> primary HD, the seconcary HD for my video, and the DVD all on
> different interfaces - I have an addon IDE/SATA interface where the
> large secondary HD lives.
>
> This fix seems not to be well known. A reboot without changing the
> above when it happens will not fix the problem.
>
> Bill
> BIll
>

> --
> Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:11:25 GMT, "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi all. I solved this annoying issue re: my 16x burner USB 2.0 doing no
>more than 1.7x burns.
>
>I brought it to work and installed nero on two computers and each
>computer did the same as home, burning at 1.7x. Then I took out the dvd
>drive and installed it via IDE in one of the towers and tried nero
>again, and what do you know but the burner was going full speed just as
>it should!
>
>My problem is the usb 2.0 external enclosure. Either the enclosure
>isn't 2.0 (though it is advertised on every internet site as being
>2.0.... this is far fetched to be the case I think) or the enclosure
>hardware is simply malfunctioning. Regardless, atleast I know now that
>the burner itself is AOK and the problem is in the enclosure, now I
>need to try to get the people to send me a new enclosure...
>
>glad to know its not the drive, but still sucks I cant use it until i
>get a new enclosure and i'll be damed after paying for this one if i
>have to pay for another!!

Please be careful with external USB enclosures, first a friend got one
that would just not work, then later I picked up a different model
that fried three hard drives in succession, slowly. The first one
died after I had put in the third, but the failure took up to 20
minutes The data that was lost was priceless.

... Steve ..

Brian ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> My problem is the usb 2.0 external enclosure. Either the enclosure
> isn't 2.0 (though it is advertised on every internet site as being
> 2.0.... this is far fetched to be the case I think) or the enclosure
> hardware is simply malfunctioning.

A trick to find out if a device really is USB 2.0 or not (assuming Win2K or
above) is to use Device Manager in the "View devices by connection" mode.
If the device is connected to the "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host
Controller", then it is functioning at USB 2.0 speeds.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/ActualCode.gif

Brian

I am assuming this enclosure is somewhat decent as this company/store sells
most all their cd/dvd drives in these enclosures and they push alot of
volume out that I think any major problems would have been found out long
ago... I'm hoping they'll send me a new enclosure, it works and all is happy
ever after...

i have a 3.5" enclosure i use a hard drive with that i tried to wire up the
burner and just ripped out the ide cable in there, so i had to order another
3.5" enclosure for the hard drive in the diagnostic process :-{

hope all goes smooth in the AM regarding a replacement enclosure...

thanks for the response brah
news:(E-Mail Removed)...