Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD DVD R

HD DVD R

RichA

VOLUME PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGY OF HD DVD-R DISCS ESTABLISHED, June 08
A group of four manufacturers today announced successful development
of a prototype of a HD DVD-R disc, the write-once next generation DVD
disc, that can be easily produced at high volume on standard
DVD-Recordable production lines. Hitachi Maxell and Mitsubishi Kagaku
Media/Verbatim, two of Japan's leading manufacturers of optical disc
media, have separately tested and verified the manufacturability of
the write-once discs, which use a new organic dye specifically
developed for blue-laser applications, and confirmed the prospect of
volume production. The new dye is the result of a joint development
project by Hayashibara Biochemical Laboratories, a key manufacturer of
dyes for DVD-Recordable discs, Mitsubishi Kagaku Media/Verbatim and
Toshiba Corporation.
Full story at http://www.physorg.com/news4453.html

Biz

Cant they even wait until we can buy/rent Hi-Def format commercial movies b4
they spend all the time on a recordable format to appease teh copy pirates?

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> VOLUME PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGY OF HD DVD-R DISCS ESTABLISHED, June 08
> A group of four manufacturers today announced successful development
> of a prototype of a HD DVD-R disc, the write-once next generation DVD
> disc, that can be easily produced at high volume on standard
> DVD-Recordable production lines. Hitachi Maxell and Mitsubishi Kagaku
> Media/Verbatim, two of Japan's leading manufacturers of optical disc
> media, have separately tested and verified the manufacturability of
> the write-once discs, which use a new organic dye specifically
> developed for blue-laser applications, and confirmed the prospect of
> volume production. The new dye is the result of a joint development
> project by Hayashibara Biochemical Laboratories, a key manufacturer of
> dyes for DVD-Recordable discs, Mitsubishi Kagaku Media/Verbatim and
> Toshiba Corporation.
> Full story at http://www.physorg.com/news4453.html

Aaron J. Bossig

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:zuOpe.299701$(E-Mail Removed):

> Cant they even wait until we can buy/rent Hi-Def format commercial
> movies b4 they spend all the time on a recordable format to appease
> teh copy pirates?

Come on, that'd be crazy. If they rush to get a recordable
format out the door right away, they risk incompatibilities
with players and a possible format war. Do you think anyone
is dumb enough to try that?

Oh, wait...

--

Aaron J. Bossig