Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > EDUCATION DEBATE

EDUCATION DEBATE

Phil

I have had a debate on the following and would like some
feedback by individuals who are willing to post their
opinions:

Two gradutes. One goes to a somewhat distinguished college
and one goes to a local community college. Both go for the
same technical field. Both have no experience.

The graduated who went through community college knows a
great deal more about the study than the graduated who
went to the distinguished college.

They both go for the same Entry Level technical position.
Based on college level "Status" and testing the employer
is sure to give, who would have a better chance???

Thank You...

Grog in Ohio

The graduate from the distinguished college. It's VERY unlikely that an
employer has a sophisticated enough pre-employment testing system to
separate the two. Credentials do count.

Fact of life... Podunk U is not as esteemed as Harvard. Life's not fair but
who said it was? Yes, idiots can and do graduate from Ivy League colleges
(I'm not going to mention a certain US president), but there's a reason
people want that sheepskin from such places.

Grog

"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:26a8c01c38e98$3f562810$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have had a debate on the following and would like some
> feedback by individuals who are willing to post their
> opinions:
>
> Two gradutes. One goes to a somewhat distinguished college
> and one goes to a local community college. Both go for the
> same technical field. Both have no experience.
>
> The graduated who went through community college knows a
> great deal more about the study than the graduated who
> went to the distinguished college.
>
> They both go for the same Entry Level technical position.
> Based on college level "Status" and testing the employer
> is sure to give, who would have a better chance???
>
> Thank You...

Ken Briscoe

> They both go for the same Entry Level technical position.
> Based on college level "Status" and testing the employer
> is sure to give, who would have a better chance???

All things being equal, except for college "status" (which they NEVER
are....no things are ever equal...there are too many intangibles when it
comes to prospective employment), I'd say the higher status graduate has the
upper hand. Although, thankfully, not by much. My main reason for this, is
higher status universities have higher academic standards than your
run-of-the-mill CC. This means that, on average, your University grad is
smarter than your CC grad. And most CC's are 2 year programs. Universities
are usually 4. More years = more classes = more training. Of course, this is
NOT always the case. There are plenty of CC grads who are doing just fine in
the field. For your first job, college status may be an issue, but after
that, it's all about track record - employment history. (and, obviously,
what you actually know)

My .02

KB

Zenner

What is the employer paying, what is the expected turnover rate, how much
"extra" unrelated crap is the person expected to do? Finally, how large is
the shop? As a hiring manager you should make some decisions as to how your
prospective employee will fit the culture of your company. So, if both were
equally qualified, the instinct of the supervisor should be the deciding
factor.

If it were a corporate job, the edge would probably go to the College grad..
In a mid-size company, a toss up. In a smaller, but established company,
even...maybe a slight edge to the CC guy, based probable turn over and
flexibility.
"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:26a8c01c38e98$3f562810$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have had a debate on the following and would like some
> feedback by individuals who are willing to post their
> opinions:
>
> Two gradutes. One goes to a somewhat distinguished college
> and one goes to a local community college. Both go for the
> same technical field. Both have no experience.
>
> The graduated who went through community college knows a
> great deal more about the study than the graduated who
> went to the distinguished college.
>
> They both go for the same Entry Level technical position.
> Based on college level "Status" and testing the employer
> is sure to give, who would have a better chance???
>
> Thank You...

---

Martin Schmid

Having attended classes at three universities, one 4-year college, and two
community colleges, I would only partially agree with this statement. I
wouldn't say that a university grad is 'smarter' than a CC grad, however, I
would say that a university grad is more capable than a CC grad. Also, I
wouldn't say that the university setting provides more training vs a
community college. University and academic college classes are more on the
theoretical, non-applied level, whereas CC courses are typically presented
in an application context. Thus, the CC grad would potentially have more
practical capabilities upon graduation, whereas the university grad has more
of a foundation in how to learn new concepts and ideas, how to solve
nebulous, narrowly defined problems, and how to conduct research.

I would have to say that it would depend on the forseen advancement of the
individual within the firm. If it is a purely technical, hands on field in
which only on-the-job technical skills are required, requiring relatively
narrowly defined new skill development, then it would be a toss up on salary
requirements. If the person is hired for potential advancement within the
firm, possibly taking on management responsibilities, etc., then I would
have to favor a applicant from a university background.

--
Thanks,
Martin Schmid, EIT, CCSA, MCDBA, MCSE

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > They both go for the same Entry Level technical position.
> > Based on college level "Status" and testing the employer
> > is sure to give, who would have a better chance???
> >

> All things being equal, except for college "status" (which they NEVER
> are....no things are ever equal...there are too many intangibles when it
> comes to prospective employment), I'd say the higher status graduate has

the
> upper hand. Although, thankfully, not by much. My main reason for this, is
> higher status universities have higher academic standards than your
> run-of-the-mill CC. This means that, on average, your University grad is
> smarter than your CC grad. And most CC's are 2 year programs. Universities
> are usually 4. More years = more classes = more training. Of course, this

is
> NOT always the case. There are plenty of CC grads who are doing just fine

in
> the field. For your first job, college status may be an issue, but after
> that, it's all about track record - employment history. (and, obviously,
> what you actually know)
>
> My .02
>
> KB

Bill

Yeah, I can't believe Clinton got through law school.

"Grog in Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The graduate from the distinguished college. It's VERY unlikely that an
> employer has a sophisticated enough pre-employment testing system to
> separate the two. Credentials do count.
>
> Fact of life... Podunk U is not as esteemed as Harvard. Life's not fair

but
> who said it was? Yes, idiots can and do graduate from Ivy League colleges
> (I'm not going to mention a certain US president), but there's a reason
> people want that sheepskin from such places.
>
> Grog

Eric

Answer: the one with the best problem solving skills and
the most dedication to the task (hence the level of
education).

Eternal Debate: Cookies vs. Sessions vs. QueryString =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?= ASP .Net 6 12-12-2005 07:43 PM
Assuaging the debate: Suite ~ versus~ turnkey FF but selected XPIs & settings Splibbilla Firefox 0 07-13-2005 06:04 AM
OT: Debate Dragon MCSE 7 10-03-2004 06:20 PM
Debate on use of sub interfaces and poly-morphism Christian Bongiorno Java 1 09-27-2004 09:19 AM
Debate: Inner classes or public classes with package access? Christian Bongiorno Java 5 08-30-2004 08:14 AM

Advertisments