Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > MPEG4

MPEG4

Bob D.

Is MPEG4 going anywhere, commercially that is? Is BlueRay/HD going to stay
with MPEG2? Is MPEG4 destine to remain a PC play thing? Just curious.......

--
Bob D.

Biz

Directv is alunching 4 new satelittes to handle HD locals in mpeg4 when they
get it all said and done...I cant remember if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is going to
be mpeg4, but I *THOUGHT* it was going to be...

"Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Is MPEG4 going anywhere, commercially that is? Is BlueRay/HD going to stay
> with MPEG2? Is MPEG4 destine to remain a PC play thing? Just

curious.......

> --
> Bob D.

Galley

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:06:42 GMT, "Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed forth
these words of wisdom:

>Is MPEG4 going anywhere, commercially that is? Is BlueRay/HD going to stay
>with MPEG2? Is MPEG4 destine to remain a PC play thing? Just curious.......

What video codecs will Blu-ray support?

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is still in the process of finalizing the
BD-ROM specification, but they have stated that MPEG-4 AVC High Profile
(previously called FRExt) and Microsoft's VC-1 video codec (the proposed SMPTE
standard based on WMV9) will be mandatory. They will also include MPEG-2 support
for playback of HDTV recordings and DVDs. Please note that this simply means
that all Blu-ray players and recorders will have to support playback of these
video codecs, it will still be up to the movie studios to decide which video
codec(s) they use for their releases. The BDA expects the BD-ROM specification
to be finished some time in the beginning of 2005.

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/

Galley

Darkknight

if you want true quality MPEG4 is of no advantage over MPEG2
to get the same quality from MPEG4 as MPEG2 the files would be about the
same size, MPEG4 format was designed for easy transfer over the net etc.
not for real commercial use

Bob D. wrote:

> Is MPEG4 going anywhere, commercially that is? Is BlueRay/HD going to stay
> with MPEG2? Is MPEG4 destine to remain a PC play thing? Just curious.......

Jay G.

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:47:25 +0930, Darkknight wrote:

> if you want true quality MPEG4 is of no advantage over MPEG2
> to get the same quality from MPEG4 as MPEG2 the files would be about the
> same size, MPEG4 format was designed for easy transfer over the net etc.
> not for real commercial use

As Galley pointed out, the MPEG4 that the next-gen video formats will use
is different from the original MPEG4 developed for the net. Specifically,
it's MPEG-4 AVC High Profile, which is designed to handle both high and low
bitrates and resolutions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

-Jay

Billy Joe

Jay G. wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:47:25 +0930, Darkknight wrote:
>
>> if you want true quality MPEG4 is of no advantage over MPEG2
>> to get the same quality from MPEG4 as MPEG2 the files would
>> be about
>> the same size, MPEG4 format was designed for easy transfer
>> over the
>> net etc. not for real commercial use

> As Galley pointed out, the MPEG4 that the next-gen video
> formats will
> use is different from the original MPEG4 developed for the
> net.
> Specifically, it's MPEG-4 AVC High Profile, which is designed
> handle both high and low bitrates and resolutions.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264
>
> -Jay

Some might be interested in this:
http://www.mainconcept.com/h264_encoder.shtml

BJ

Alpha

"Galley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:06:42 GMT, "Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed
> forth
> these words of wisdom:
>
>>Is MPEG4 going anywhere, commercially that is? Is BlueRay/HD going to stay
>>with MPEG2? Is MPEG4 destine to remain a PC play thing? Just
>>curious.......

> What video codecs will Blu-ray support?
>

> The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is still in the process of finalizing
> the
> BD-ROM specification, but they have stated that MPEG-4 AVC High Profile
> (previously called FRExt) and Microsoft's VC-1 video codec (the proposed
> SMPTE
> standard based on WMV9) will be mandatory. They will also include MPEG-2
> support
> for playback of HDTV recordings and DVDs. Please note that this simply
> means
> that all Blu-ray players and recorders will have to support playback of
> these
> video codecs, it will still be up to the movie studios to decide which
> video
> codec(s) they use for their releases. The BDA expects the BD-ROM
> specification
> to be finished some time in the beginning of 2005.

2006? So Blu Ray will be delayed even more than DVD HD?

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Darkknight
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>if you want true quality MPEG4 is of no advantage over MPEG2 to
>get the same quality from MPEG4 as MPEG2 the files would be about
>the same size, MPEG4 format was designed for easy transfer over
>the net etc. not for real commercial use

Actually MPEG4 files can be 1/2 the size of MPEG2 files for the
samequality.

And streaming video systems are using MPEG4, which does make it
easy for net transfer as it is more efficient, and those are
commercial sites so I don't see how you can say "not for real
commercial use".

Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com