Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Sony DVP-NS575P "Cannot Play Disc" Problem

Sony DVP-NS575P "Cannot Play Disc" Problem

azkhan@web.de

Hello,

I recently purchased this Sony DVD-Player DVP-NS575P. I noticed that it
cannot play some of my DVDs, while others (in both PAL and NTSC format)
it plays very well. On those DVDs it can't play, I get a message
"cannot play disc". Can anyone advise?

Could it have something to do with the format of the disks - there are
all sorts around (16:9, 1:2.35 and, and, and)? Maybe some setting needs
changing? Interestingly, one or two of the DVDs that cannot be played
now could be played a few weeks ago.

Otherwise the DVDs all play on my external DVD-Writer so there is
nothing wrong with them whatsoever.

Appreciate any advice.

Khan

Hugh Candlin

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hello,
>
> I recently purchased this Sony DVD-Player DVP-NS575P. I noticed that it
> cannot play some of my DVDs, while others (in both PAL and NTSC format)
> it plays very well. On those DVDs it can't play, I get a message
> "cannot play disc". Can anyone advise?

DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.

Some, however, as you have found out,
can and do become disfunctional much sooner.

Much sooner.

The only thing that you can do
is take them back and demand a refund or exchange.

Poof

In article
<8l_oe.290928$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Hugh Candlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently purchased this Sony DVD-Player DVP-NS575P. I noticed that it
> > cannot play some of my DVDs, while others (in both PAL and NTSC format)
> > it plays very well. On those DVDs it can't play, I get a message
> > "cannot play disc". Can anyone advise?

> DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.
>
> Some, however, as you have found out,
> can and do become disfunctional much sooner.
>
> Much sooner.
>
> The only thing that you can do
> is take them back and demand a refund or exchange.

I've tried several discs on my friend's DVD player DVP-NS715P that
worked fine my Philips DVD 953. It could be the player.

Black Locust

In article
<8l_oe.290928$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Hugh Candlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.
>
> Some, however, as you have found out,
> can and do become disfunctional much sooner.
>
> Much sooner.
>
> The only thing that you can do
> is take them back and demand a refund or exchange.

Please do not post false information like this on the newsgroup. Factory
pressed DVDs have an estimated 100 year lifespan. If you had any idea
what you were talking about, you would know that the OPs problem is a
bad laser assembly. There's nothing wrong with the discs themselves.

Large Farva

"Hugh Candlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8l_oe.290928$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently purchased this Sony DVD-Player DVP-NS575P. I noticed that it
>> cannot play some of my DVDs, while others (in both PAL and NTSC format)
>> it plays very well. On those DVDs it can't play, I get a message
>> "cannot play disc". Can anyone advise?

> DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.
>
> Some, however, as you have found out,
> can and do become disfunctional much sooner.
>
> Much sooner.
>
> The only thing that you can do
> is take them back and demand a refund or exchange.

You sir, are a clueless twit.

Hugh Candlin

"Black Locust" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article
> <8l_oe.290928$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Hugh Candlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.
> >
> > Some, however, as you have found out,
> > can and do become disfunctional much sooner.
> >
> > Much sooner.
> >
> > The only thing that you can do
> > is take them back and demand a refund or exchange.

> Please do not post false information like this on the newsgroup.

It isn't false.

> Factory pressed DVDs have an estimated 100 year lifespan.

Which means nothing, and ignores the millions of instances
where people have already inserted a relatively new DVD
in a player and got nothing but "No disc".

> If you had any idea
> what you were talking about, you would know that the OPs problem is a
> bad laser assembly.

In this case, that is a possibility.

> There's nothing wrong with the discs themselves.

We agree to disagree.

Hugh Candlin

"Large Farva" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dphpe.573$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> "Hugh Candlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8l_oe.290928$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I recently purchased this Sony DVD-Player DVP-NS575P. I noticed that it
> >> cannot play some of my DVDs, while others (in both PAL and NTSC format)
> >> it plays very well. On those DVDs it can't play, I get a message
> >> "cannot play disc". Can anyone advise?

> > DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.
> >
> > Some, however, as you have found out,
> > can and do become disfunctional much sooner.
> >
> > Much sooner.
> >
> > The only thing that you can do
> > is take them back and demand a refund or exchange.

> You sir, are a clueless twit.

Time will tell who is right and who isn't.

Until then, everyone is free to state their opinion.

What is unfortunate is that some people
lack the mental capacity to accept that
without demonstrating a barroom mentality.

Bill Vermillion

In article <8l_oe.290928$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Hugh Candlin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently purchased this Sony DVD-Player DVP-NS575P. I noticed that it
>> cannot play some of my DVDs, while others (in both PAL and NTSC format)
>> it plays very well. On those DVDs it can't play, I get a message
>> "cannot play disc". Can anyone advise?

>DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.

OOOHH! I have video tapes that I made in 1977 and are still
playable. Does that mean I should transfer the DVDs to tape
to make sure they last?

))))
))))
:::: ))))
:::: ))))
---- ))))
---- ))))
:::: ))))
:::: ))))
))))
))))

>Some, however, as you have found out,
>can and do become disfunctional much sooner.

>Much sooner.

And we'll still have to wait a few years to test your 20 year
theory.

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com