Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DIVX REBORN......THIS SUCKS...

DIVX REBORN......THIS SUCKS...

Joseph S. Powell, III

Read what those greedy studios want to do with the next-gen movie
players...it's sick!!

http://dvdfile.com/news/viewpoints/e...005/05_18.html

Kubez

"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hNNne.4420$(E-Mail Removed):

> Read what those greedy studios want to do with the next-gen movie
> players...it's sick!!
>
> http://dvdfile.com/news/viewpoints/e...005/05_18.html

Can't offer much support for someone who uses the worst cliche from the
Star Wars saga and can't spell "altar".

Dave Oldridge

"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:hNNne.4420
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Read what those greedy studios want to do with the next-gen movie
> players...it's sick!!
>
> http://dvdfile.com/news/viewpoints/e...005/05_18.html

The market for high-density digital media, if it is not supported by the
entertainment industry, will continue to be incited by the consumer
computer market. The result will be MORE of a nightmare for the
entertainment industry than if they had cooperated with hardware
manufacturers to achieve a REASONABLE level of copyright control and a
good video standard. I already have a computer that's capable of playing
high definition component video on my TV, on demand. The only thing it
needs is a file in readable format (DIVX is fine) and player software and
I can stick it right on my TV screen at 1080i resolution.

Industry moguls are only fooling themselves if they think that they can
control the hardware genie by choking it.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

God is an evolutionist.

Nightspirit

Dave Oldridge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns966A41B6F3881doldridgsprintca@24.71.223.15 9:

> "Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:hNNne.4420
> $(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> Read what those greedy studios want to do with the next-gen movie
>> players...it's sick!!
>>
>> http://dvdfile.com/news/viewpoints/e...005/05_18.html

> The market for high-density digital media, if it is not supported by
> the entertainment industry, will continue to be incited by the
> consumer computer market. The result will be MORE of a nightmare for
> the entertainment industry than if they had cooperated with hardware
> manufacturers to achieve a REASONABLE level of copyright control and a
> good video standard. I already have a computer that's capable of
> playing high definition component video on my TV, on demand. The only
> thing it needs is a file in readable format (DIVX is fine) and player
> software and I can stick it right on my TV screen at 1080i resolution.
>
> Industry moguls are only fooling themselves if they think that they
> can control the hardware genie by choking it.

They plug up one hole in the dyke and don't realize that it is full of
holes. The bean counter will take a look at this standard and realize
that it is a good way to lose money.

--
---
Have Fun

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and quite
good with ketchup.

Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/~hipdale/

RichA

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:27:38 GMT, Dave Oldridge
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:hNNne.4420
>$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> Read what those greedy studios want to do with the next-gen movie
>> players...it's sick!!
>>
>> http://dvdfile.com/news/viewpoints/e...005/05_18.html

>The market for high-density digital media, if it is not supported by the
>entertainment industry, will continue to be incited by the consumer
>computer market. The result will be MORE of a nightmare for the
>entertainment industry than if they had cooperated with hardware
>manufacturers to achieve a REASONABLE level of copyright control and a
>good video standard. I already have a computer that's capable of playing
>high definition component video on my TV, on demand. The only thing it
>needs is a file in readable format (DIVX is fine) and player software and
>I can stick it right on my TV screen at 1080i resolution.
>
>Industry moguls are only fooling themselves if they think that they can
>control the hardware genie by choking it.

The same minds behind that are the kind of people who own TiVo.
They want the absolute ability to revoke the "permission"
they've granted you to view movies and TV programs.
Who knows? At some point in the future you could be looking at
retro-actively censored discs because the moral climate changes.
-Rich

napalm68

It worked out so well for divx. You'd think the fools would learn their
lesson...

"Nightspirit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave Oldridge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns966A41B6F3881doldridgsprintca@24.71.223.15 9:
>

> They plug up one hole in the dyke and don't realize that it is full of
> holes. The bean counter will take a look at this standard and realize
> that it is a good way to lose money.
>
> --
> ---
> Have Fun
> Night Spirit
>
> Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and quite
> good with ketchup.
>
> Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/~hipdale/

Goro

They had to relearn that lesson with EZ-DVD or FlexPlay or whatever the
fsck that was called.

Likely they will again.

btw, how many times has Sony tried to create a proprietary format?

-goro-

napalm68 wrote:
> It worked out so well for divx. You'd think the fools would learn their
> lesson...
>
> "Nightspirit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dave Oldridge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:Xns966A41B6F3881doldridgsprintca@24.71.223.15 9:
> >

> > They plug up one hole in the dyke and don't realize that it is full of
> > holes. The bean counter will take a look at this standard and realize
> > that it is a good way to lose money.
> >
> > --
> > ---
> > Have Fun
> > Night Spirit
> >
> > Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and quite
> > good with ketchup.
> >
> > Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/~hipdale/

Barf

>btw, how many times has Sony tried to create a proprietary format?

At least 5, since they have a proprietary format for the PSP's. I
wonder if Nintendo or XBox will come with hand held movies, too.

However, I prefer my movies on screens that are a little bigger. Also,
many of the movies that Sony has released are not movies I want to
see. Many I wouldn't pay to see once!

Rick M.

Dave Oldridge wrote:

> Industry moguls are only fooling themselves if they think that they can
> control the hardware genie by choking it.

Don't be so sure. The RIAA practically killed DAT as a general consumer
item years ago, relegating DAT decks to the pricey 'prosumer' and pro
audio recording markets only.

On top of that, now the hollywood moguls have the additional legal
leverage of special protectionism afforded them by the DMCA to back them up.

Orwell was right on the money... only 20 years too soon.

-Rick

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rick M. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Dave Oldridge wrote:

>> Industry moguls are only fooling themselves if they think that they can
>> control the hardware genie by choking it.

>Don't be so sure. The RIAA practically killed DAT as a general
>consumer item years ago, relegating DAT decks to the pricey
>'prosumer' and pro audio recording markets only.

It was not quite that simplistic.

The DAT was slowed down as regulation was being formed for taxing
tapes, but what killed DAT as the CD.

I remember when the battle was starting. Sony and Philips were
pushing CD very hard. They feared that if they did not reach
5% market penetration by the time the DAT arrived the CD would fail
in the marketplace.

The reasoning was that cassettes had replaced the LPs as the medium
of choice, and they assumed that most buyers would want something
upon which they could record also.

I was handling a recording session [ex-audio engineer and saw the
first CD presentation at the AES] when one of the other people
commented on my CD player. He said something like "It will never
be popular because you can't record on it. I won't buy one because
of that".

Those who were too close to technology often make mistakes similar
to that. By the time DAT [called R-DAT then] was in the market
the CD had far exceeded sales expectations, going on to be the
fastest growing consumer electronics item until the release
of the DVD.

The DAT recorders stayed pricey because the volume never ramped up,
and rotating head tape media in the small form factor was not an
easy thing to make. The first couple of years of that format -
particularly in the data field - was not very robust. It took until
the DDS-3 format to became reliable.

I always used data certified tapes in my audio DAT. The shells
were better made as the data versions were expected to be
shuttled back and forth during backups, as machine typically
couldn't feed the data fast enough to keep the data streaming,
while audio tapes were assumed to be put into play and listened to
until the end.

Recordable CDs were still a long way off at that time.

>On top of that, now the hollywood moguls have the additional
>legal leverage of special protectionism afforded them by the DMCA
>to back them up.

>Orwell was right on the money... only 20 years too soon.

I don't think he was that far off.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com