Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Price of Dual-Layer DVDs

Price of Dual-Layer DVDs

J-Man

Is the price of blank dual-layer DVDs ever going to come down? The burners
have been out for well over a year now, so you'd think there'd be some
demand that would bring the price down, but they're still really expensive!

Biz

"J-Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zmume.2215$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Is the price of blank dual-layer DVDs ever going to come down? The

burners
> have been out for well over a year now, so you'd think there'd be some
> demand that would bring the price down, but they're still really

expensive!

Until people start buying the DL media in larger quantities, the price will
stay right where it is. If it doesnt sell well, they cant ramp up
production to gain economies of scale to reduce manufacturing costs...

Alpha

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CGvme.265020$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "J-Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zmume.2215$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>> Is the price of blank dual-layer DVDs ever going to come down? The

> burners
>> have been out for well over a year now, so you'd think there'd be some
>> demand that would bring the price down, but they're still really

> expensive!
>>

> Until people start buying the DL media in larger quantities, the price
> will
> stay right where it is. If it doesnt sell well, they cant ramp up
> production to gain economies of scale to reduce manufacturing costs...

It is unlikely that people will start buying DL media since there are
serious compatability problems for universal playback.

Otter

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:53:11 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It is unlikely that people will start buying DL media since there are
>serious compatability problems for universal playback.

Hell, I can't even find the damn things in stores! Well, I haven't
checked in about two months so I might be wrong but how am I supposed
to buy the things if I can't find them?

-Otter

Pat

Otter wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:53:11 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>It is unlikely that people will start buying DL media since there are
>>serious compatability problems for universal playback.

> Hell, I can't even find the damn things in stores! Well, I haven't
> checked in about two months so I might be wrong but how am I supposed
> to buy the things if I can't find them?

I've only seen them for sale online, and they've always been about
$4.50-$5 a piece. And I've heard the RiData DVD+R DL are absolute
garbage, so there really aren't any good "cheap" ones.

Alpha

"Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Otter wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:53:11 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>It is unlikely that people will start buying DL media since there are
>>>serious compatability problems for universal playback.

>> Hell, I can't even find the damn things in stores! Well, I haven't
>> checked in about two months so I might be wrong but how am I supposed
>> to buy the things if I can't find them?

> I've only seen them for sale online, and they've always been about
> $4.50-$5 a piece. And I've heard the RiData DVD+R DL are absolute
> garbage, so there really aren't any good "cheap" ones.

Only Verbatim (somewhat) works...Ridata are junk; you heard correctly.

J-Man

"Otter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:53:11 -0700, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>It is unlikely that people will start buying DL media since there are
>>serious compatability problems for universal playback.

> Hell, I can't even find the damn things in stores! Well, I haven't
> checked in about two months so I might be wrong but how am I supposed
> to buy the things if I can't find them?
>
> -Otter

I've seen them at Fry's and CompUSA, and they're available online as well.