Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Huey sees 3 flicks and DOESN'T get boned, wow

Reply
Thread Tools

Huey sees 3 flicks and DOESN'T get boned, wow

 
 
HellPope Huey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2005


Rented "The Aviator," the Leonard DiCaprio sendup of Howard Hughes. A
very linear and largely honest action-bio. An especially fine cast,
including Alan Alda as a senator. Once you simply accept that you are
watching a dramatized exaggeration, the next step is to compare its
shaping to what you really know. I knew a bit of Hughes' history, so I
can say that a good job was done in showing him more or less as he COULD
BE at times: driven, brilliant, abrasive, charming and eventually
withered by OCD. That aspect is poignantly shown when he cannot bring
himself to touch the doorknob that would let in a friend. Its not shown
in a maudlin manner; it simply shows the man suffering. Its painful to
see and you get all too close a glimpse of a serious case. All in all,
its basically fair to him, good and bad.
The aerial work is very fine and the scene of his horrific plane crash
into Beverly Hills becomes increasingly excruciating to watch as it
plays out. It feels a bit long, but its well crafted in every way and I
didn't feel that a minute of my time was wasted.

Finally saw "Team America." Huh, somebody grabbed FIREBALL XL5 by its
fins and humped the hell out of its aft port. Gee, I never saw a
marionette vomit for so long, nor had I seen one deliver a steamer to
another's face. GREAT BREAKTHROUGH STUFF, especially when some crazy
buttholes rammed a jeep laden with explosives into the Sphinx and blew
its head off. Beautiful theme song as well. This fine film should be
shown to all schoolchildren right after the God Bless America drivel.

"The Final Cut" starring Robin Williams. SORT of sci-fi, due to the
central story device, but otherwise a pretty good drama. The gist:
parents can have babies implanted with a biological device that records
their entire lives from the perspective of the first person. Upon death,
the memory glob is given to a "cutter," who sorts through all of the
'footage' and assembles a "rememory," which is shown at the funeral. The
scene where he does an initial collation of a whole life's memories is
spooky, neatly edited and dusted with just a bit of FX. Classy work.
The problem is, the cutter sees all of the wretched, stupid, nasty,
hateful and galling things, along with the good the survivors want
enhanced. This includes a nasty secret Williams wrestles with when he
realizes that one deceased client was a monster. There is rising social
protest against the complete destruction of privacy and action for fear
of it being put on a screen later. Several key moments open the story up
in measured places. Williams plays the role in an almost disturbing,
reserved manner until certain hard truths begin to sink in.
Its semi-predictable in certain ways and not a colossal capital-F
Film, but it IS an intriguing, classy cameo that fits well on the lapel
of the suit of Quiet Flicks You Always Remember.

--

HellPope Huey ~ www.subgenius.com
Say, what cough syrup goes best
with a meatloaf
that's been sprinkled with meth?

"I don't practice what I preach
because I'm not the kind of person
I'm preaching TO!"
- J. R. "Bob" Dobbs

There shall none of his meat be left;
therefore shall no man look for his goods.
- Job 20:21
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
frater S.O.D.D.I.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2005
Well, aren't you just the PARAGON of virtuous taste?

Bah! Yeah, I coulda rented "House of Flying Daggers" OR because I am
the MASTER of long-form drama viewing I could have made a good dent in
"I, Claudius" OR I could have broken down and tried to make it through
"Dogtown"....

BUT NO! I hadda try to keep up with the Dobbses and watch pure,
unadulterated CRAP.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Quirk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2005


HellPope Huey wrote:

> Rented "The Aviator," the Leonard DiCaprio sendup of Howard Hughes.


Please stop polluting alt.slack with your tedious, circular blather.
Its so off-topic for this crowd, twelve of us have already agreed to
grab you by the ankles and make you go spelunking for toilet fish at a
bowling alley john if you don't quit it. Otherwise, your talking heads
are going to wind up on a mantle in jars, just like in "Futurama."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rev. 11D Meow!
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2005

Dear friends,

How are you doing?

I am glad that your name is on the trepan mailing list. (If you don't
want to hear anymore from us, you can reply to delete your name, and I
apologize for the intrusion.) Allow me to introduce myself. My name is
JAESON LEE. I am 26 years old. I live in Brazil and go to chiropractic
school in Sao Paulo. I went to high school in NYC where my Korean
parents still live. I'm visiting them for ninety days until the
beginning of July and plan to stop at the clinic in Monterrey and get
trepanned on my way back home.


Are you happy? And are you satisfied with your life? I am not?
Depression, anxiety and constant stress have overshadowed my life since
I was about eighteen. I've tried almost everything to feel better:
Yoga, acupuncture, Prozac and etc?you name it. Now I am really
determined to get better. After long search and study, I found the
trepan web site and I am currently on the waiting list to be trepanned.
I am pretty sure that you've been searching for an answer like I have
or many other people who want to get trepanned have. I am a practical
guy. I want all advantages available. Through the engramming program,
my own research and evidence of others who already got trepanned, I
concluded that trepanation would help me. I'm interested in results! We
can know things conceptually or theoretically and the experience is
something else. I want to know the experience first hand and live with
it as a force in my life. Maybe it could help you too. I've read some
of your e-mails and I found that we have many things in common. Have
you thought about feeling 10 times better than how you feel now? Then
trepanation might do the magic. I am expecting to be feeling a lot
better from it. I am ready to get trepanned in the next ninty days.

At least 2 more people (10 or 100 would be OK too) are need to go down
to Mexico to get trepanned with me. Two is all we really need for now.
If you are really willing to get trepanned and change your life for
better, first you have to show that you are qualified and serious about
getting trepanned. It's been stressed to me that trepanation is not
like getting a tattoo or an ear piercing. It's more than that. There
are scientific bases and it is really important that everyone who wants
to be trepanned understands the basics of the Mechanism of
Brainbloodvolume to qualify to be trepanned. The surgeons will trepan
only those who have completed the engramming program. Engramming gets
you fluent in the vocabulary of brainbloodvolume. T.J., who is from
Utah, has finished the engramming program. He and I are ready to go to
Mexico. Peter and I discussed about how we can help you with this study
and we made some easy steps for you to get the engramming done. It is
easy as ABC. Just click on the link and download the Coloring Book or
you can buy the CD-ROM for $10.00. As soon as you get the CD-ROM or
downloaded the PDF file, you need to make 10 copies of the coloring
book. When you have the printouts in your hands you will see that the
engramming text has empty letters. Now all you need to do is start to
fill in the spaces like you used to do in a painting book when you were
a kid.

After you are done with filling in the letters and coloring the
diagrams, you read the text out loud for 10 times and record it on
cassette tapes as a proof that you've finished engramming. Send your 10
completed copies with tapes to ITAG and then you are ready to go. At
the clinic in Mexico, they charge only $2400.00 for one who is
qualified and there must be at least 4 persons at the same time to get
trepanned. They will charge $3600.00 for one who is not willing to
participate in their research and to be on camera for a pre-op and
post-op interview. Like I mentioned before, T.J. and I have finished
the engramming and are qualified to get trepanned. We are really
excited about this trip. We want to publicly document our event and
save the $1200.00 Whether we get trepanned on our time schedule is
really dependent on you. All we need is two more qualified and
enthusiastic people who are willing to do some homework as soon as
possible. If you have any question about the engramming, feel free to
ask us by sending e-mail or directly calling us up. Let's act fast and
be motivated. Don't wait for too long. There isn't much time left on my
visa to the states and now can be the time to change your life too. Get
a free copy of the Coloring Book or order the CD-ROM. And feel free to
drop us your e-mail at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) or you can call the ITAG
office. The phone number is (610) 693-5044 or the fax is1-610-693-3261.
I wish you good luck and hope to meet you in Monterrey when we all get
trepanned. You probably have friends who'd be interested to know about
this. You may forward this message. Are you ready for the four-day get
away of your lifetime?

My Best to You, Jaeson Lee

 
Reply With Quote
 
HellPope Huey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2005
frater S.O.D.D.I. wrote:

> Well, aren't you just the PARAGON of virtuous taste?


Not the only one. In addition, I sometimes watch utter garbage out of
sheer Yeti inertia. I won't drink the wine, but I chew the HELL out of
the wafers.

> Bah! Yeah, I coulda rented "House of Flying Daggers"


That's an elegant piece of live-action origami. Unlike the $#@!
Matrix, the mid-air gyration is more elegant and has the added benefit
of being somewhat based in oriental lore, even if it is hopped up on
goofballs. Oddly enough, the sweeping "Hero" did poorly in China. Too
familiar, I guess. Hm, wonder how many tickets sold in CHINA is
considered a flop? Only 7 million?

OR because I am
> the MASTER of long-form drama viewing I could have made a good dent in
> "I, Claudius"


Derek Jacobi became a personal hero after the "Father Cadfael" series.
One episode of that is worth 10,000 kicks to the jaw in "Flying Feet of
the Emperor's Bromodrosis."

OR I could have broken down and tried to make it through
> "Dogtown"....


If a movie centers around skateboards and you watch it without having
a gun to your temple, up yours.

> BUT NO! I hadda try to keep up with the Dobbses and watch pure,
> unadulterated CRAP.


Yes. What's your point? Its what we CAME for, right? Okay then.

--

HellPope Huey ~ www.subgenius.com
Say, what cough syrup goes best
with a meatloaf
that's been sprinkled with meth?

"I don't practice what I preach
because I'm not the kind of person
I'm preaching TO!"
- J. R. "Bob" Dobbs

There shall none of his meat be left;
therefore shall no man look for his goods.
- Job 20:21


 
Reply With Quote
 
frater S.O.D.D.I.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2005


HellPope Huey wrote:

> Oddly enough, the sweeping "Hero" did poorly in China. Too
> familiar, I guess. Hm, wonder how many tickets sold in CHINA is
> considered a flop? Only 7 million?


It's odd, because the denoument of the "Hero" being loyal to even a
bloodthirsty tyrant if it was good for the unification of China looked
like a real nod to mainland Chinese political sentiments (and censors).
I think it was written that way for that reason.

> OR I could have broken down and tried to make it through
> > "Dogtown"....

>
> If a movie centers around skateboards and you watch it without having
> a gun to your temple, up yours.
>
>


Do you see how STUPID I have become? I meant Lars von Trier's
"Dogville". It WAS on my short list.

But now I am fit only to await tonight's episode of "Robot Chicken".

Ten-second toy animation FUNNY.

Ha ha, I stupid.


(However, earlier this week I was able to re-watch a good chunk of "My
Best Fiend", Herzog's love/hate elegy to Klaus Kinski - documentary.
Both of 'em crazier than 9 mother****ers, despite Herzog's depiction of
Kinski as the loonier of the two. I think the correct phrase is "folie
a deux". HIGHLY recommended.)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve(JazzHunter)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2005
On Sun, 29 May 2005 23:56:36 GMT, HellPope Huey
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>OR because I am
>> the MASTER of long-form drama viewing I could have made a good dent in
>> "I, Claudius"

>
> Derek Jacobi became a personal hero after the "Father Cadfael" series.
>One episode of that is worth 10,000 kicks to the jaw in "Flying Feet of
>the Emperor's Bromodrosis."


Cadfael was a Benedictine Monk, a "Brother" of the religious
Fraternity or Order. He was not a member of any church. Only the
chief and assistant ministers of a Church can be called "Father."

.. Steve ..
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul E. Jamison
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2005
"HellPope Huey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UEsme.2171$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> frater S.O.D.D.I. wrote:
>
> OR because I am
> > the MASTER of long-form drama viewing I could have made a good dent in
> > "I, Claudius"

>
> Derek Jacobi became a personal hero after the "Father Cadfael" series.
> One episode of that is worth 10,000 kicks to the jaw in "Flying Feet of
> the Emperor's Bromodrosis."
>

"I, Claudius" did it for me as far as Derek Jacobi goes, but I reached the
same conclusion as you, and he made the "Father Cadfael" series a real
treat.

Some years back I was channel-surfing, going as far as checking out channels
I usually ignore, and there Mr. Jacobi was on CSPAN! He was addressing a
meeting of the Washington Press Club. That was nice to watch. He ended up
giving the Club a framed "I, Claudius" promo sheet.

Paul


 
Reply With Quote
 
John Harkness
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2005
On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:50:38 -0500, "Paul E. Jamison"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"HellPope Huey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:UEsme.2171$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>> frater S.O.D.D.I. wrote:
>>
>> OR because I am
>> > the MASTER of long-form drama viewing I could have made a good dent in
>> > "I, Claudius"

>>
>> Derek Jacobi became a personal hero after the "Father Cadfael" series.
>> One episode of that is worth 10,000 kicks to the jaw in "Flying Feet of
>> the Emperor's Bromodrosis."
>>

>"I, Claudius" did it for me as far as Derek Jacobi goes, but I reached the
>same conclusion as you, and he made the "Father Cadfael" series a real
>treat.
>


Jacobi did the talking book of The Iliad -- it's tremendous, though it
helps if you use it for long walks.

John harkness
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve(JazzHunter)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2005
On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:50:38 -0500, "Paul E. Jamison"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"HellPope Huey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:UEsme.2171$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>> frater S.O.D.D.I. wrote:
>>
>> OR because I am
>> > the MASTER of long-form drama viewing I could have made a good dent in
>> > "I, Claudius"

>>
>> Derek Jacobi became a personal hero after the "Father Cadfael" series.
>> One episode of that is worth 10,000 kicks to the jaw in "Flying Feet of
>> the Emperor's Bromodrosis."


As I noted to Huey, It's "Brother Cadfael" not "Father." Cadfael, as
a monk and not a church minister, could not be called a Father. In
fact in one of the books a youngster calls Cadfael "Father" and
Cadfael humbly corrects him.

... Steve ..
>>

>"I, Claudius" did it for me as far as Derek Jacobi goes, but I reached the
>same conclusion as you, and he made the "Father Cadfael" series a real
>treat.
>
>Some years back I was channel-surfing, going as far as checking out channels
>I usually ignore, and there Mr. Jacobi was on CSPAN! He was addressing a
>meeting of the Washington Press Club. That was nice to watch. He ended up
>giving the Club a framed "I, Claudius" promo sheet.
>
>Paul
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pantone Huey Missing Profile Witherington Digital Photography 0 01-31-2008 08:57 PM
Pantone Huey Bob Williams Digital Photography 4 12-28-2006 08:09 PM
Pantone Huey Gordon MacPherson Digital Photography 1 08-17-2006 06:38 PM
Pantone Huey: any thoughts? Justus Lipsius Digital Photography 3 02-17-2006 09:29 AM



Advertisments