Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD copy software question

DVD copy software question

Mr. Moe

Hi,
I just got a brand new copmputer (the old one died a peacful death),
the new one I have is an HP with Windows XP Media Center. It has DVD
burner. The question? Any suggestions as to what DVD copier software I
can get (free or pay).
Thanks
Mr. Moe

Large Farva

DVD Shrink + Nero

"Mr. Moe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I just got a brand new copmputer (the old one died a peacful death),
> the new one I have is an HP with Windows XP Media Center. It has DVD
> burner. The question? Any suggestions as to what DVD copier software I
> can get (free or pay).
> Thanks
> Mr. Moe

Mr. Moe

On Sun, 29 May 2005 16:57:17 GMT, "Large Farva" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Thanks much.

>DVD Shrink + Nero
>

>"Mr. Moe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi,
>> I just got a brand new copmputer (the old one died a peacful death),
>> the new one I have is an HP with Windows XP Media Center. It has DVD
>> burner. The question? Any suggestions as to what DVD copier software I
>> can get (free or pay).
>> Thanks
>> Mr. Moe

Kathy

I personally think DVD Shrink (www.dvdshrink.org) and DVD Decrypter
(www.dvddecrypter.com) meet almost all the DVD copy needs I have. It has
standard copying and ripping capability as well as a DVD reauthoring
function. Both are free downloads. Have fun.

"Mr. Moe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I just got a brand new copmputer (the old one died a peacful death),
> the new one I have is an HP with Windows XP Media Center. It has DVD
> burner. The question? Any suggestions as to what DVD copier software I
> can get (free or pay).
> Thanks
> Mr. Moe

Bob

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 14:28:43 -0400, "Kathy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I personally think DVD Shrink (www.dvdshrink.org) and DVD Decrypter
>(www.dvddecrypter.com) meet almost all the DVD copy needs I have. It has
>standard copying and ripping capability as well as a DVD reauthoring
>function. Both are free downloads. Have fun.

What is this "reauthoring" thing? I am not familiar with DVD editing
so I would like to know. I am looking for a "simple" utility that will
let me edit DVD video so I can collect my favorite scenes off several
DVDs and compose them onto one DVD, preferably with individual tracks
so I can skip around at will and preferably with "open session" so I
can add to the collection at a later time.

I do a lot of audio editing using Soundforge, so I am looking for
something that simple.

What about Nero Vision Express?

Bill Turner

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 20:03:56 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bob) wrote:

>What is this "reauthoring" thing? I am not familiar with DVD editing
>so I would like to know.

I wondered that too when I first began. It simply means taking the
existing files and changing them somehow. In my case, it is mostly
deleting tracks I don't want. Some advanced users may actually edit the
files for one reason or other.

--
BT

Bob

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:39:02 -0700, Bill Turner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>What is this "reauthoring" thing? I am not familiar with DVD editing
>>so I would like to know.

>I wondered that too when I first began. It simply means taking the
>existing files and changing them somehow. In my case, it is mostly
>deleting tracks I don't want. Some advanced users may actually edit the
>files for one reason or other.

OK, then what is the best editor to do that?

I am looking at Nero Vision Express 2. Is that any good for simple
editing like you describe? I just want to be able to collect tracks
from DVDs and burn them on a new DVD as individual tracks in an open
session so I can add more later. That way I will have all my favorite
scenes in one place in which I can skip around easily. Maybe later I
can create a menu so I can access them easier but I would have to be
able to add to the menu later.

Bill Turner

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 13:54:52 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bob) wrote:

>OK, then what is the best editor to do that?
>
>I am looking at Nero Vision Express 2. Is that any good for simple
>editing like you describe? I just want to be able to collect tracks
>from DVDs and burn them on a new DVD as individual tracks in an open
>session so I can add more later. That way I will have all my favorite
>scenes in one place in which I can skip around easily. Maybe later I
>can create a menu so I can access them easier but I would have to be
>able to add to the menu later.

I use DVD Shrink for my reauthoring, primarily to remove unwanted tracks
such as director's comments and menus. I like to have only the basic
movie. It's free, google for it.

There are probably other, more sophisticated reauthoring programs, but
DVD Shrink does everything I need.

--
BT

Bob

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 09:22:57 -0700, Bill Turner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I use DVD Shrink for my reauthoring, primarily to remove unwanted tracks
>such as director's comments and menus. I like to have only the basic
>movie. It's free, google for it.

>There are probably other, more sophisticated reauthoring programs, but
>DVD Shrink does everything I need.

My son uses it too. I am looking for something that will allow me to
crop parts of the DVD video so I can collect my favorite scenes on one
DVD composed of multiple tracks so I can skip around easily and open
session so I can add to the collection at a later time.

The closest thing I can come to in audio editing is Soundforge. It has
all the basics plus some "special effects". Probably I would want to
be able to fade and dissolve with a good video editor.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverence. Talent
will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education
will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and
determination alone are omnipotent."
--Calvin Coolidge

Billy Joe

Bob wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 09:22:57 -0700, Bill Turner
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I use DVD Shrink for my reauthoring, primarily to remove
>> unwanted
>> tracks such as director's comments and menus. I like to have
>> only
>> the basic movie. It's free, google for it.

>> There are probably other, more sophisticated reauthoring
>> programs,
>> but DVD Shrink does everything I need.

> My son uses it too. I am looking for something that will allow
> me to
> crop parts of the DVD video so I can collect my favorite
> scenes on one
> DVD composed of multiple tracks so I can skip around easily
> and open
> session so I can add to the collection at a later time.
>
> The closest thing I can come to in audio editing is
> Soundforge. It has
> all the basics plus some "special effects". Probably I would
> want to
> be able to fade and dissolve with a good video editor.

Certainly the MOST effortless way to accomplish what you'd like
is to purchase a DVD player that handles MPEGISO/AVI
containerized a/v. Some examples are Philips, LiteOn, KISS.
These players will play standard DVD-SVCD-VCDs as well as
un-authored discs containing VOB, MPG (housing MPEG1/2), AVI
(housing MPEG4/xvid/divx), MP3, JPG and probably a few more
formats.

When the inserted disc is not a DVD-SVCD-VCD, the unit will
display a file folder, not unlike you see on your PC desktop.
Most of the units support auto-play (in which case the files are
played in alpha order by folder/file name).

Some of these units sell for less than the software required to
"author" a "DVD" from compliant a/v. All of them sell for less
than the suite of software necessary to accomplish the task
typically.

With one of these units available you could use DVD-Shrink to
extract the VOB segment(s) you want from a DVD. You could then
merely rename the VOB files with content specific titles and
you'd probably place them in folders more appropriately named
than VIDEO_TS. Simply burn this data to a rewritable,
extendable CD or DVD as size dictates and play. Add more files
any time, as long as space remains.

No authoring, no time wasted, no hassle, no sacrifice of a/v
quality unless you desire it.

visit here: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers check off the
features you'd like in a player (or learn about the features
that you may be unaware of), see who offers them, and what
others think of their performance.

If your PC can play an a/v file, why can't your entertainment
center???

BJ ;-0)