Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Faulty disk

Reply
Thread Tools

Faulty disk

 
 
Hamish
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2005
I have a "new" Buffy DVD season 1. I bought this in 2004 and have just
started watching it. The third disk however struggles to be recognised, but
will occasionally load the menu and then I can watch the episodes. The disk
is unmarked, so I assume it is a faulty disk. Where does the menu system sit
in relation to the data, ( I am thinking of carefully polishing the menu
part of the disk) and is there any way I can force it to play an episode
without having to load the menu.

PS my PC will not read it at all



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Billy Joe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2005
In ref: d77p9t$f0h$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com

Hamish <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a "new" Buffy DVD season 1. I bought this in 2004 and
> have just started watching it. The third disk however
> struggles to be recognised, but will occasionally load the
> menu and then I can watch the episodes. The disk is unmarked,
> so I assume it is a faulty disk. Where does the menu system
> sit in relation to the data, ( I am thinking of carefully
> polishing the menu part of the disk) and is there any way I
> can force it to play an episode without having to load the
> menu.
> PS my PC will not read it at all


Wow! I've had several discs that were sluggish at loading and
which, in a miraculaous test of user patience, managed to load
just as I discovered the locale of the remote, intent on
pressing the eject button.

However, I am also addicted enough to have several DVD drives on
almost as many PCs, and have never failed to find ONE of those
that would read the disc.

If you do not SEE a flaw, polishing will probably not accomplish
anything. Considering that the DVD occasionally does read, I'd
try cleaning the player's reader first. Failing there, clean
the DVD reader on your PC. Failing there, seek out a friend
with a PC and an interest in video; ask the friend to convert
the disc to new media for you.

BJ


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
P Pron
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2005
Hamish wrote:
|| I have a "new" Buffy DVD season 1. I bought this in 2004 and have
|| just started watching it. The third disk however struggles to be
|| recognised, but will occasionally load the menu and then I can watch
|| the episodes. The disk is unmarked, so I assume it is a faulty disk.
|| Where does the menu system sit in relation to the data, ( I am
|| thinking of carefully polishing the menu part of the disk) and is
|| there any way I can force it to play an episode without having to
|| load the menu.
||
|| PS my PC will not read it at all

DVDs and CDs play from the inside, but if the disc has no visible blemishes,
I can't see how polishing could possibly make a difference.....

paul


 
Reply With Quote
 
Hamish
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2005
>> I have a "new" Buffy DVD season 1. I bought this in 2004 and
>> have just started watching it. The third disk however
>> struggles to be recognised, but will occasionally load the
>> menu and then I can watch the episodes. The disk is unmarked,
>> so I assume it is a faulty disk. Where does the menu system
>> sit in relation to the data, ( I am thinking of carefully
>> polishing the menu part of the disk) and is there any way I
>> can force it to play an episode without having to load the
>> menu.
>> PS my PC will not read it at all

>
> Wow! I've had several discs that were sluggish at loading and which, in a
> miraculaous test of user patience, managed to load just as I discovered
> the locale of the remote, intent on pressing the eject button.
>
> However, I am also addicted enough to have several DVD drives on almost as
> many PCs, and have never failed to find ONE of those that would read the
> disc.
>
> If you do not SEE a flaw, polishing will probably not accomplish anything.
> Considering that the DVD occasionally does read, I'd try cleaning the
> player's reader first. Failing there, clean the DVD reader on your PC.
> Failing there, seek out a friend with a PC and an interest in video; ask
> the friend to convert the disc to new media for you.
>
> BJ


Tried to watch it today, and I can not get it to run at all. I have written
to the supplier, but as I bought it in march 2004 I do not hold out much
hope. I have ordered a Double layer DVD recorder for my PC, so I will see if
that will read it and if it will I will attempt to write it to a new disk.



 
Reply With Quote
 
NFord
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-01-2005
"Billy Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In ref: d77p9t$f0h$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com
>
> Hamish <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a "new" Buffy DVD season 1. I bought this in 2004 and
>> have just started watching it. The third disk however
>> struggles to be recognised, but will occasionally load the
>> menu and then I can watch the episodes. The disk is unmarked,
>> so I assume it is a faulty disk. Where does the menu system
>> sit in relation to the data, ( I am thinking of carefully
>> polishing the menu part of the disk) and is there any way I
>> can force it to play an episode without having to load the
>> menu.
>> PS my PC will not read it at all

>
> Wow! I've had several discs that were sluggish at loading and which, in a
> miraculaous test of user patience, managed to load just as I discovered
> the locale of the remote, intent on pressing the eject button.
>
> However, I am also addicted enough to have several DVD drives on almost as
> many PCs, and have never failed to find ONE of those that would read the
> disc.
>
> If you do not SEE a flaw, polishing will probably not accomplish anything.
> Considering that the DVD occasionally does read, I'd try cleaning the
> player's reader first. Failing there, clean the DVD reader on your PC....


In 7+ years, I've had only one retail movie DVD (purchased,
not rented) go bad (The Jackal). It had no visible flaws, and it
obviously was not caused by a dirty player/reader (since no
other DVDs have been affected).

Back when it happened, I tried to get a replacement from
the dealer, to no avail, so I repurchased it. If it happened now,
I would just order up the DVD from NetFlix and copy it.
If they ever come out with uncopyable DVDs, they better
also come up with a better policy for replacing bad DVDs.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Hamish
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2005

>>> I have a "new" Buffy DVD season 1. I bought this in 2004 and
>>> have just started watching it. The third disk however
>>> struggles to be recognised, but will occasionally load the
>>> menu and then I can watch the episodes. The disk is unmarked,
>>> so I assume it is a faulty disk. Where does the menu system
>>> sit in relation to the data, ( I am thinking of carefully
>>> polishing the menu part of the disk) and is there any way I
>>> can force it to play an episode without having to load the
>>> menu.
>>> PS my PC will not read it at all

>>
>> Wow! I've had several discs that were sluggish at loading and which, in
>> a miraculaous test of user patience, managed to load just as I discovered
>> the locale of the remote, intent on pressing the eject button.
>>
>> However, I am also addicted enough to have several DVD drives on almost
>> as many PCs, and have never failed to find ONE of those that would read
>> the disc.
>>
>> If you do not SEE a flaw, polishing will probably not accomplish
>> anything. Considering that the DVD occasionally does read, I'd try
>> cleaning the player's reader first. Failing there, clean the DVD reader
>> on your PC....

>
> In 7+ years, I've had only one retail movie DVD (purchased,
> not rented) go bad (The Jackal). It had no visible flaws, and it
> obviously was not caused by a dirty player/reader (since no
> other DVDs have been affected).
>
> Back when it happened, I tried to get a replacement from
> the dealer, to no avail, so I repurchased it. If it happened now,
> I would just order up the DVD from NetFlix and copy it.
> If they ever come out with uncopyable DVDs, they better
> also come up with a better policy for replacing bad DVDs.


I have had a reply from the supplier who "kindly" offered to replace the
disc at the normal retail price I originaly paid.
Seeing as I have already paid for the copyright of the material by
purchasing once I will not be taking them up on there offer, so both they
and their supplier make a double killing

Whats the best DVD copying software?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faulty Camera or Faulty Photographer? Graham Fountain Digital Photography 40 09-21-2006 04:55 AM
Transfer an application disk to disk MJP Computer Support 6 12-15-2003 08:45 AM
Getting "not enough disk space error" when there is plenty of disk space Jas Shultz ASP .Net 0 12-03-2003 05:07 PM
Disk Space On System Disk In XP Harry Da Hat Computer Support 0 11-13-2003 11:25 AM
Faulty disk or faulty player? Gavin23601 DVD Video 4 10-22-2003 04:13 AM



Advertisments