Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blockbuster raises it's rental fees

Blockbuster raises it's rental fees

RichA

In Ontario, Canada at least. Rentals are with
tax just shy of $6.00. Maybe the "no late
fees" isn't working out as well as they'd
hoped?
-Rich

blackm00@cam.org

RichA wrote:
> In Ontario, Canada at least. Rentals are with
> tax just shy of $6.00. Maybe the "no late
> fees" isn't working out as well as they'd
> hoped?
> -Rich

There was a story here a week or so ago that the shelves are
empty at Blockbuster, because there's no longer an incentive
to bring them back right away.

If that's widespread, then not only has the company lost the
income from late fees, but they are losing income from rentals.
If someone keeps a DVD out three weeks, it keeps the DVD from
being rented out during that period.

Michael

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> RichA wrote:
> > In Ontario, Canada at least. Rentals are with
> > tax just shy of $6.00. Maybe the "no late
> > fees" isn't working out as well as they'd
> > hoped?
> > -Rich

> There was a story here a week or so ago that the shelves are
> empty at Blockbuster, because there's no longer an incentive
> to bring them back right away.
>
> If that's widespread, then not only has the company lost the
> income from late fees, but they are losing income from rentals.
> If someone keeps a DVD out three weeks, it keeps the DVD from
> being rented out during that period.

Where as online rental places make more money when you keep DVD's out
longer.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Alpha

> Where as online rental places make more money when you keep DVD's out
> longer.

Wrong logic. The individual stores have a very limited stock. Netflix has
a huge stock of copies of titles from multiple and interacting warehouses.

Tarkus

On 5/21/2005 2:42:52 PM, Alpha wrote:

>> Where as online rental places make more money when you keep DVD's out
>> longer.

> Wrong logic. The individual stores have a very limited stock.
> Netflix has a huge stock of copies of titles from multiple and
> interacting warehouses.

How does that make what he said wrong? There can be no denying that
Netflix makes more money by people keeping their titles out longer,
because they save on shipping and handling without losing out on incoming
revenue.
--
"I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody. Mmm."

Now playing: "Howard Stern Radio Show - 012799-cf (Best of Stern)"

Alpha

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
> On 5/21/2005 2:42:52 PM, Alpha wrote:
>
>>> Where as online rental places make more money when you keep DVD's out
>>> longer.

>> Wrong logic. The individual stores have a very limited stock.
>> Netflix has a huge stock of copies of titles from multiple and
>> interacting warehouses.

> How does that make what he said wrong? There can be no denying that
> Netflix makes more money by people keeping their titles out longer,
> because they save on shipping and handling without losing out on incoming
> revenue.
> --
> "I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody. Mmm."
>
> Now playing: "Howard Stern Radio Show - 012799-cf (Best of Stern)"

They do not save anything by long returns. Explain that convoluted attempt
to justify again. It would be a dynamic between stock and income, but just
how do they save? If that logic holds, if everyone kept their rentals for a
year, Netflix would not be losing 15 million dollars a quarter.

Alpha

Forget what I said...if everyone kept the rentals for a year, it would
deplete stock, but of course they would get monthly fees to cover it beyond
the sales price!

Tarkus

On 5/21/2005 3:44:50 PM, Alpha wrote:

> Forget what I said...if everyone kept the rentals for a year, it would
> deplete stock, but of course they would get monthly fees to cover it
> beyond the sales price!

Bingo.
--
"Satan, your ass is gigantic and red. Who am I going to pretend you
are, Liza Minelli?"

Now playing: "Howard Stern Radio Show - 012799-cf (Best of Stern)"

Alpha

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
> On 5/21/2005 3:44:50 PM, Alpha wrote:
>
>> Forget what I said...if everyone kept the rentals for a year, it would
>> deplete stock, but of course they would get monthly fees to cover it
>> beyond the sales price!

> Bingo.
> --
> "Satan, your ass is gigantic and red. Who am I going to pretend you
> are, Liza Minelli?"

Your quote needs attribution: South Park, Bigger, Longer, and Uncut.

Tarkus

On 5/21/2005 4:27:44 PM, Alpha wrote:

>> "Satan, your ass is gigantic and red. Who am I going to pretend you
>> are, Liza Minelli?"

> Your quote needs attribution: South Park, Bigger, Longer, and Uncut.

More fun when people try to guess where it came from. At least I did put
it in quotes.
--
"I takened the kaiser blade, some folks called it a sling blade, I
called it a kaiser blade, mmm, and I hit my mother upside the head

Now playing: "Howard Stern Radio Show - 012799-cf (Best of Stern)"

Blockbuster late fees kr0 DVD Video 42 03-03-2005 01:39 AM
Blockbuster "you own it now" late fees RichA DVD Video 2 02-28-2005 06:51 PM
Blockbuster: Drops DVD Rental Prices Again. One-Shot Scot DVD Video 3 10-22-2004 07:44 PM
Rental DVDs: "Rental Only - Not For Resale." One-Shot Scot DVD Video 0 09-11-2004 07:41 PM
Re: No signup fees... No monthly fees... We'll give YOU $1.00 to sign up! x Whitecrest HTML 4 12-11-2003 05:26 PM

Advertisments