Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Newbie question: Can you record audio CD's on a DVD recorder?

Newbie question: Can you record audio CD's on a DVD recorder?

Chris K

Hi,

I am interested in copying albums and tapes to CD Media so I can play them
in a car, or other CD player. It would also be nice to move videos to DVD
format. Are there DVD recorders that will record CD audio? Any
recommendations?

Cheers,
Chris

Mike S.

In article <Xns9653687AF9738ckoebelatrogerscom@207.181.101.12 >,
Chris K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am interested in copying albums and tapes to CD Media so I can play them
>in a car, or other CD player. It would also be nice to move videos to DVD
>format. Are there DVD recorders that will record CD audio? Any
>recommendations?

The only ones I'm aware of are some of the Lite-On "All Write" models,
like the LDW-5005. However its useability as an audio recorder is very
limited; you'd do a lot better with audio capture into your PC's sound
card, or a standalone audio CD recorder.

Chris K

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote in
news:d5td7n$49t$(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns9653687AF9738ckoebelatrogerscom@207.181.101.12 >,
> Chris K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am interested in copying albums and tapes to CD Media so I can play
>>them in a car, or other CD player. It would also be nice to move
>>videos to DVD format. Are there DVD recorders that will record CD
>>audio? Any recommendations?

> The only ones I'm aware of are some of the Lite-On "All Write" models,
> like the LDW-5005. However its useability as an audio recorder is very
> limited; you'd do a lot better with audio capture into your PC's sound
> card, or a standalone audio CD recorder.

Thanks for the info Mike.

Unfortunately, my PC is in the basement while my stereo is upstairs, so it
is a bit awkward to try to record to my PC - that and I always got a wicked
hum when I used to try it in the past, so I stopped.

When you say the audio recording ability is limited - do you mean track
recognition, etc? Is the sound reproduction OK?

Cheers,
Chris

Mike S.

In article <Xns965386CFC77A7ckoebelatrogerscom@207.181.101.12 >,
Chris K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote in
>news:d5td7n$49t$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> In article <Xns9653687AF9738ckoebelatrogerscom@207.181.101.12 >,
>> Chris K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am interested in copying albums and tapes to CD Media so I can play
>>>them in a car, or other CD player. It would also be nice to move
>>>videos to DVD format. Are there DVD recorders that will record CD
>>>audio? Any recommendations?

>> The only ones I'm aware of are some of the Lite-On "All Write" models,
>> like the LDW-5005. However its useability as an audio recorder is very
>> limited; you'd do a lot better with audio capture into your PC's sound
>> card, or a standalone audio CD recorder.
>>

>Thanks for the info Mike.
>
>Unfortunately, my PC is in the basement while my stereo is upstairs, so it
>is a bit awkward to try to record to my PC - that and I always got a wicked
>hum when I used to try it in the past, so I stopped.
>
>When you say the audio recording ability is limited - do you mean track
>recognition, etc? Is the sound reproduction OK?

Audio CD recording lacks the features that, on standalone audio CD
recorders, make it useful: digital audio (S/PDIF) input, automatic track
marker insertion (from either digital or analog sources) and, decent audio
fidelity from the analog inputs.