Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Stick-On Labels Cause DVDs and CDs to Skip

Stick-On Labels Cause DVDs and CDs to Skip

harvey_twyman@yahoo.com

Various Forums have suggested that when recording your own DVDs and CDs
that "Skipping" and "Stalling" can occur if "Stick-On Labels" are used.

Various people have commented that by removing the label from a
skipping disk the disk then plays normally again. Therefore I'd like
make a few "Technical" suggestions as to why the label could be causing
this problem.

There are at least 2 theories:

1/ Wobble

The label may be placed slightly off-center thus causing the disk to
wobble more. The laser scanning the disk has the ability to focus the
laser beam on the disk. However the wobble is at a greater rate than
the mechanism can track - hence data corruption.

Observation:

Disks with labels seem to perform better with less problems when used
in "PC DVD and CD Drives".

My theory would be that PC DVD and CD Drives rotate "Faster" than DVD
and CD players. PCs can copy disks at many times the normal play rate.

This is indicated on the drive by statements like " X40 " meaning it
can read the disk 40 times faster than normal play. Thus in this
example a 40 minute CD would read in 1 minute.

This higher "Rotation Speed" makes the "Centrifugal Force" on the disk
greater thus keeping the disk more "Rigid" and wobble less.

I've found that DVDs tend to skip more towards the "Middle" and "End"
of the video - not so much at the beginning.

DVDs and CDs are recorded from the "Inside" - outwards. Therefore the
wobble would be more pronounced on the outside of the disk as it is
further away from the support of the disk's "Clamping Mechanism".

Other observers have suggested that the wobble makes the "Drive
Bearings" hotter thus linking it with Theory Number 2" below...

2/ Temperature

The disk label prevents the top of the disk from "Radiating Heat".

The laser hitting the disk causes local heating. The disk rotation
causes "Eddy Currents" to form which take away the heat from both
sides.

This is called "Scrubbing" and is the same effect that keeps hard disk
drives cool and clean. Dust particles are also scrubbed away and attach
themselves to a "Scrubbing Filter" within the sealed enclosure.

However with one side of the DVD insulated by a paper label there will
be a "Temperature Difference" between one side and the other. This
causes the disk to warm up.

The data is stored in a very thin "Aluminum" layer and being metal
expands. This expansion may then be the cause of data corruption and
skipping.

Observation:

Cold DVDs work more reliably but if played or exposed to higher
temperatures like in a car for example, will skip more if they have
labels on.

Comments and more suggestions related to these theories please.

Harvey Twyman
CV: http://www.twyman.org.uk/CV

RichA

On 9 May 2005 02:16:02 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> [...]
>sides.
>
>This is called "Scrubbing" and is the same effect that keeps hard disk
>drives cool and clean. Dust particles are also scrubbed away and attach
>themselves to a "Scrubbing Filter" within the sealed enclosure.
>
>However with one side of the DVD insulated by a paper label there will
>be a "Temperature Difference" between one side and the other. This
>causes the disk to warm up.
>
>The data is stored in a very thin "Aluminum" layer and being metal
>expands. This expansion may then be the cause of data corruption and
>skipping.
>
>Observation:
>
>Cold DVDs work more reliably but if played or exposed to higher
>temperatures like in a car for example, will skip more if they have
>labels on.
>

>Comments and more suggestions related to these theories please.

Only an idiot would put a stick on label on a DVD or CD.
-Rich

unclejr

RichA wrote:
> Only an idiot would put a stick on label on a DVD or CD.

DVDs? Yes, most certainly. I've had numerous problems in this arena
and choose to use a plain old Sharpie to label my DVD-Rs.

CDs? No, I've not experienced a problem with the playback of a CD-R
with sticker artwork affixed to it. It is my understanding that the
reason for this is that the slower RPM and wider data pits of a CD (as
compared to a DVD) allow it to be more tolerant of weight imbalance.

Just my $0.02 worth,

-Junior

Biz

Labels on cds cause problems in the majority of slot loading players, like
what in most cars these days. Its best to avoid labels altogether and just
use an approved permanent marker or an actual media printer like the Epson
R2xx and 3xx series among others.

"unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> RichA wrote:
> > Only an idiot would put a stick on label on a DVD or CD.

> DVDs? Yes, most certainly. I've had numerous problems in this arena
> and choose to use a plain old Sharpie to label my DVD-Rs.
>
> CDs? No, I've not experienced a problem with the playback of a CD-R
> with sticker artwork affixed to it. It is my understanding that the
> reason for this is that the slower RPM and wider data pits of a CD (as
> compared to a DVD) allow it to be more tolerant of weight imbalance.
>
> Just my $0.02 worth,
>
> -Junior

Bill Turner

On Mon, 09 May 2005 14:31:42 -0400, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Only an idiot would put a stick on label on a DVD or CD.
>-Rich

Actually, an idiot would never think to put a stick-on label on a CD, so
therefore, nobody would put a stick-on label on a CD. Problem solved.

--
BT

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Various Forums have suggested that when recording your own DVDs and CDs
>that "Skipping" and "Stalling" can occur if "Stick-On Labels" are used.

>Various people have commented that by removing the label from a
>skipping disk the disk then plays normally again. Therefore I'd like
>make a few "Technical" suggestions as to why the label could be causing
>this problem.

>There are at least 2 theories:

>1/ Wobble

>The label may be placed slightly off-center thus causing the disk to
>wobble more. The laser scanning the disk has the ability to focus the
>laser beam on the disk. However the wobble is at a greater rate than
>the mechanism can track - hence data corruption.

>Observation:

>Disks with labels seem to perform better with less problems when used
>in "PC DVD and CD Drives".

>My theory would be that PC DVD and CD Drives rotate "Faster" than DVD
>and CD players. PCs can copy disks at many times the normal play rate.

>This is indicated on the drive by statements like " X40 " meaning it
>can read the disk 40 times faster than normal play. Thus in this
>example a 40 minute CD would read in 1 minute.

>This higher "Rotation Speed" makes the "Centrifugal Force" on the disk
>greater thus keeping the disk more "Rigid" and wobble less.

Actually if the label isn't of even consistancy across it's width
and/or it is even if it is slightyl off-center, the faster it goes
the more vibration there will be it. It's just like unbalanced
tires on a car. No problem as slow speed but they start shaking
the faster they go.

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Joe Blow

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Various Forums have suggested that when recording your own DVDs and CDs
> that "Skipping" and "Stalling" can occur if "Stick-On Labels" are used.
>
> Various people have commented that by removing the label from a
> skipping disk the disk then plays normally again. Therefore I'd like
> make a few "Technical" suggestions as to why the label could be causing
> this problem.
>
> There are at least 2 theories:
>

> 1/ Wobble
>
> The label may be placed slightly off-center thus causing the disk to
> wobble more. The laser scanning the disk has the ability to focus the
> laser beam on the disk. However the wobble is at a greater rate than
> the mechanism can track - hence data corruption.
>
> Observation:
>
> Disks with labels seem to perform better with less problems when used
> in "PC DVD and CD Drives".
>
> My theory would be that PC DVD and CD Drives rotate "Faster" than DVD
> and CD players. PCs can copy disks at many times the normal play rate.

Actually, my experience with labeled DVDs is that they fail in my
computer DVD drives, but will more likely play in a stand-alone
DVD player. However, some labeled DVDs, previously playable without
a label, fail no matter what kind of drive I put it in.

I quit labeling DVDs altogether. The best solution, if one is so
inclined, is simply to buy inkjet-printable DVDs and buy a cheapie
printer like the Epson r200 (now selling for a paltry 50 bucks).

I'll also add that my favorite inkjet-printable DVDs are the G4 Riteks.
I have not had a single bad burn with them, among hundreds.

JB

RichA

On Mon, 09 May 2005 19:39:45 -0700, Bill Turner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 09 May 2005 14:31:42 -0400, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Only an idiot would put a stick on label on a DVD or CD.
>>-Rich

>Actually, an idiot would never think to put a stick-on label on a CD, so
>therefore, nobody would put a stick-on label on a CD. Problem solved.

For those who absolutely must label CDs and DVDs, you
can buy printable ones and a printer to do it.
-Rich