Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Intervideo WinDVD 5 and AC3 audio from TV

Intervideo WinDVD 5 and AC3 audio from TV

George

WinDVD 5 has a profile for DVD Video with AC3 audio in it's Programs
directory but it doesn't show in the setup 'Profile Manager'.
Anybody know what I need to do/buy to enable it???

Waiting on tech support for 4 days

Thanks
george

Biz

ac3 audio plug-in....

"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1114054758.5d8c8f4f2caa390ee4060768c1466ebb@t eranews...
> WinDVD 5 has a profile for DVD Video with AC3 audio in it's Programs
> directory but it doesn't show in the setup 'Profile Manager'.
> Anybody know what I need to do/buy to enable it???
>
> Waiting on tech support for 4 days
>
> Thanks
> george

George

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UmG9e.617394$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ac3 audio plug-in....
>
> "George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1114054758.5d8c8f4f2caa390ee4060768c1466ebb@t eranews...
> > WinDVD 5 has a profile for DVD Video with AC3 audio in it's Programs
> > directory but it doesn't show in the setup 'Profile Manager'.
> > Anybody know what I need to do/buy to enable it???
> >
> > Waiting on tech support for 4 days
> >
> > Thanks
> > george

Thanks, still waiting on tech support.

Did a search on Google and all I seem to find are 'decoders', any idea or
link to
a 'encoder'???

Thanks again
george

yesitsme

George wrote:

>"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:UmG9e.617394$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>ac3 audio plug-in....
>>
>>"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:1114054758.5d8c8f4f2caa390ee4060768c1466ebb @teranews...
>>

>>>WinDVD 5 has a profile for DVD Video with AC3 audio in it's Programs
>>>directory but it doesn't show in the setup 'Profile Manager'.
>>>Anybody know what I need to do/buy to enable it???
>>>
>>>Waiting on tech support for 4 days
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>george
>>>

>Thanks, still waiting on tech support.
>
>Did a search on Google and all I seem to find are 'decoders', any idea or
>link to
>a 'encoder'???
>
>Thanks again
>george

Don't know, what's the orignal problem ? I use Win DVD 4 but not 5..

jason

--
((`'.(`'.((`'. * jason bean* .')).').'))

For me , said Sherlock Holmes, "there still remains the cocaine bottle,"
and he reached his hand up for it.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~jabean
http://musicpage.kicks-ass.org/

George

"yesitsme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lc_ae.14212$(E-Mail Removed)...
> George wrote:
>
> >"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:UmG9e.617394$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> >>ac3 audio plug-in....
> >>
> >>"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:1114054758.5d8c8f4f2caa390ee4060768c1466ebb @teranews...

> >Thanks, still waiting on tech support.
> >
> >Did a search on Google and all I seem to find are 'decoders', any idea or
> >link to
> >a 'encoder'???
> >
> >Thanks again
> >george
> >

> Don't know, what's the orignal problem ? I use Win DVD 4 but not 5..
>
> jason
>
> --
> ((`'.(`'.((`'. * jason bean* .')).').'))
>
> For me , said Sherlock Holmes, "there still remains the cocaine bottle,"
> and he reached his hand up for it.
>
> http://home.cogeco.ca/~jabean
> http://musicpage.kicks-ass.org/

Had a trial version of WinDVD 4 and it has the profiles for AC3, but version
4
won't work with a Hauppuage WinTV-PVR-250 card ?????

George

Billy Joe

In ref: 1114475064.fe096b6a1d4201dd6604498eaaf28e77@terane ws

George <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

> Had a trial version of WinDVD 4 and it has the profiles for
> AC3, but version 4
> won't work with a Hauppuage WinTV-PVR-250 card ?????
>
> George

Only a few soft vendors have Hauppauge interfaces, it's not of
the firewire variety!!

I use the H250 & USB2 for captures and just yesterday
discovered, thanks to someone in one of the video NGs, DivxToDVD
at this site: http://www.vso-software.fr/

Don't be misled by the product name, it handles wintv2k's 12
mbps captures, and all the other rates too, just as smooth as
can be! It's way faster than anything else I've seen so far and
the output is very close, or equal, in quality to the input.
Couple it with DVD Shrink to handle DVD fitting, and DVD
Decrypter to burn and you have a TOTALLY free of charge solution
to TV MPEG2 capture, edit (DVDS) and burn.

The program converts the MP2 audio of wintv2k to ac3, 2 channel
192k.

BJ

George

"Billy Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In ref: 1114475064.fe096b6a1d4201dd6604498eaaf28e77@terane ws
>
> George <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Had a trial version of WinDVD 4 and it has the profiles for
> > AC3, but version 4
> > won't work with a Hauppuage WinTV-PVR-250 card ?????
> >
> > George

> Only a few soft vendors have Hauppauge interfaces, it's not of
> the firewire variety!!
>
> I use the H250 & USB2 for captures and just yesterday
> discovered, thanks to someone in one of the video NGs, DivxToDVD
> at this site: http://www.vso-software.fr/
>
> Don't be misled by the product name, it handles wintv2k's 12
> mbps captures, and all the other rates too, just as smooth as
> can be! It's way faster than anything else I've seen so far and
> the output is very close, or equal, in quality to the input.
> Couple it with DVD Shrink to handle DVD fitting, and DVD
> Decrypter to burn and you have a TOTALLY free of charge solution
> to TV MPEG2 capture, edit (DVDS) and burn.
>
> The program converts the MP2 audio of wintv2k to ac3, 2 channel
> 192k.
>
> BJ

I have DivxToDVD, but it takes time to convert...
Capturing in AC3 audio and using Cucusoft's http://www.avi-vcd.com/
free 'MPEG to VOB Converter 1.06' it only takes about 5 minutes and
28 seconds to convert a 5,436,088.320 file over to vob files.
Then use DVD Shrink to fit to dvd size.

Using the H250 card with WinDVD 4 and selecting setup/source in WinDVD
only has a blank place for the H250 card inputs...

George

Billy Joe

In ref: 1114479531.1ddd9e195d8b626001e92a7ed839ae3d@terane ws

George <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Had a trial version of WinDVD 4 and it has the profiles for
>>> AC3, but version 4
>>> won't work with a Hauppuage WinTV-PVR-250 card ?????

Yes, I'm easily confused!

This implies that the H250 does not do what you want, right?

> I have DivxToDVD, but it takes time to convert...

> Capturing in AC3 audio

with what device (H250?) and what program?

> and using Cucusoft's
> http://www.avi-vcd.com/ free 'MPEG to VOB Converter 1.06' it
> only takes about 5 minutes and 28 seconds to convert a
> 5,436,088.320 file over to vob files.
> Then use DVD Shrink to fit to dvd size.

Whatever did this AC3 capture for you would be the way to go no?
Apparently not with the H250!!

> Using the H250 card with WinDVD 4 and selecting setup/source
> in WinDVD only has a blank place for the H250 card inputs...

So, basically - with H250 you can't get there this way? It
works with very few software. It does not capture with AC3. It
is MPEG2, DVD compliant in three of its settings. Thus to
convert an H250 capture to DVD/MP2 compliant is basically a copy
function, but to convert its MP2 to AC3 requires recoding.

Maybe you could restate the issue here??

DVD/AC3 from MPEG2/MP2 requires recoding of something, no?
Capture in MPEG2/AC3 requires a card other than H250, no?

And why care about AC3 when it was not available at capture
time? Except that 192 vs. 384 makes a diff! Otherwise, they
are both just stereo.

BJ

George

"Billy Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yes, I'm easily confused!
>
> This implies that the H250 does not do what you want, right?
>
> > I have DivxToDVD, but it takes time to convert...

> > Capturing in AC3 audio

> with what device (H250?) and what program?
>
> > and using Cucusoft's
> > http://www.avi-vcd.com/ free 'MPEG to VOB Converter 1.06' it
> > only takes about 5 minutes and 28 seconds to convert a
> > 5,436,088.320 file over to vob files.
> > Then use DVD Shrink to fit to dvd size.
> >

> Whatever did this AC3 capture for you would be the way to go no?
> Apparently not with the H250!!
>
> > Using the H250 card with WinDVD 4 and selecting setup/source
> > in WinDVD only has a blank place for the H250 card inputs...

> So, basically - with H250 you can't get there this way? It
> works with very few software. It does not capture with AC3. It
> is MPEG2, DVD compliant in three of its settings. Thus to
> convert an H250 capture to DVD/MP2 compliant is basically a copy
> function, but to convert its MP2 to AC3 requires recoding.
>
> Maybe you could restate the issue here??
>
> DVD/AC3 from MPEG2/MP2 requires recoding of something, no?
> Capture in MPEG2/AC3 requires a card other than H250, no?
>
> And why care about AC3 when it was not available at capture
> time? Except that 192 vs. 384 makes a diff! Otherwise, they
> are both just stereo.
>
> BJ

At the moment I'm using a Hauppuage WinTV-GO card with 3 days left on the
trial
version of Intervideo WinDVD Recorder 4.

The version 4 has setting for AC3 audio capture:
[DVD]
Format: MPEG-2 DVD

Audio:
Format: AC3
Sampling Rate: 48.0 kHz 16-bit Stereo
Bit Rate: 384 KBits/sec

Video:
Size: 720x480
Frame Rate: 29.97 frames/sec
Bit Rate: 7200 KBits/sec

Using this I don't have to recode anything to get the vob files, just DVD
Shrink to resize.

Using the same WinTV-GO or the H250 card and WinDVD Recorder 5, WinDVD 5
only
has settings for mpg?? something audio capture, which require recoding (
DivxToDVD) to
get the vob files which takes time......

WinDVD Recorder 5 has profiles in it's
'\Program_files\intervideo\windvd5\profile' directory
for AC3 audio capture but they are not shown in the Profile Manager window.
It also has codecs for AC3 in it's program_files directory.

I guess its not the cards, WinDVD 4 doesn't see the H250 and WinDVD 5 does't
do AC3 capture.

The WinTV-GO card uses about 80% of my CPU time so I cannot do anything else
while I capture.
With the H250 card I can capture, have 2 sessions of DVD Shrink running and
burn a DVD at the same time.

What I want is to get WinDVD 5 to capture AC3 audio, that way I don't have
to recode anything,
only resize, and have a movie ready to burn in about 20 minutes, all while
doing other things

george

Sid

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:15:58 -0500, "George" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

<snip>

>At the moment I'm using a Hauppuage WinTV-GO card with 3 days left on the
>trial
>version of Intervideo WinDVD Recorder 4.
>
>The version 4 has setting for AC3 audio capture:
>[DVD]
>Format: MPEG-2 DVD
>
>Audio:
>Format: AC3
>Sampling Rate: 48.0 kHz 16-bit Stereo
>Bit Rate: 384 KBits/sec
>
>Video:
>Size: 720x480
>Frame Rate: 29.97 frames/sec
>Bit Rate: 7200 KBits/sec
>
>Using this I don't have to recode anything to get the vob files, just DVD
>Shrink to resize.
>

>Using the same WinTV-GO or the H250 card and WinDVD Recorder 5, WinDVD 5
>only
>has settings for mpg?? something audio capture, which require recoding (
>DivxToDVD) to
>get the vob files which takes time......
>
>WinDVD Recorder 5 has profiles in it's
>'\Program_files\intervideo\windvd5\profile' directory
>for AC3 audio capture but they are not shown in the Profile Manager window.
>It also has codecs for AC3 in it's program_files directory.
>
>I guess its not the cards, WinDVD 4 doesn't see the H250 and WinDVD 5 does't
>do AC3 capture.
>
>The WinTV-GO card uses about 80% of my CPU time so I cannot do anything else
>while I capture.
>With the H250 card I can capture, have 2 sessions of DVD Shrink running and
>burn a DVD at the same time.
>
>What I want is to get WinDVD 5 to capture AC3 audio, that way I don't have
>to recode anything,
>only resize, and have a movie ready to burn in about 20 minutes, all while
>doing other things
>
>george

George

My experiences with the Intervideo WinDVD Recorder trial were also
less than ideal. I could not select a PAL capture resolution profile
even though there were PAL profiles packaged in that folder (renaming
& editing also didn't work). I don't think it has anything to do with
your hardware, but is a software bug! I switched to their other
product: WinDVD Creator, and hey presto I can use all the profiles.
The only problem is Creator doesn't allow you to edit the profiles
(you can have some success editing with Notepad). Creator is a little
slower to start than Recorder, but does the job quite well. It also
supports AC3 recording (if that's important to you). Of course you
needn't use it for doing the disc authoring (bit too basic). I just
used it for capturing, and used DVDlabPro for DVD authoring.

I've since switched to Cyberlink's PowerVCR II. Although an older
product, it's much faster to start, allows complete easy profile
customization, and results in a much smoother MPEG2 capture image. I
spent ages comparing Creator's quality output with PowerVCR, and
PowerVCR had the most realistic (non grainy) and smooth image (esp.
flesh tones). It was very close though. I don't think PowerVCR
supports AC3 capture, but MPEG2 audio is fine for a stereo recording
and is more compatible with authoring/playback software.

Incidentally, I use DVDlabPro to author my DVD's, and it does support
AC3 sound. http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/ (payware with trial)

MPEG Video Wizard does a great job at editing MPEG2 files directly,
plus many FX incl titling. www.womble.com (payware with trial)

If you need to shrink the final DVD output, CloneDVD2 does an
excellent job at transcoding. www.elby.ch (payware with trial)

BTW, all my captures are done on the cheap, using the built in WDM
NVidia VIVO capture.