Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Wildly uneven volume on some DVDs

Wildly uneven volume on some DVDs

mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com

Whenever I watch "Alien" on DVD, I end up having to constantly adjust
the volume level. The sound on this title is wildly uneven. The
dialogue is often spoken at a whisper, and I could hardly discern what
the characters are saying. I had to resort to turning the volume
waaaay up just to hear them. But then the action sequences get
obnoxiously LOUD. Embarassingly loud, as in loud enough for my
next-next-next door neighbors to hear.

The thing is, this isn't the first DVD title to behave this way. I've
watched dozens of movies wherein the dialogue are so soft, I end up
having to set the volume nearly twice my usual listening level. But
then whenever the action sequences come up, everything becomes
obnoxiously loud. I spend much of the movie with the remote in hand,
constantly adjusting the volume up and down for two hours... otherwise,
I'm bound to wake up everyone in this house and everybody else next
door.

Anybody else have this experience? This problem has been dogging me
for the past seven or eight years... but I hardly ever hear anybody
else complain about it.

Mischa van Dinter

> Whenever I watch "Alien" on DVD, I end up having to constantly adjust
> the volume level. The sound on this title is wildly uneven. The
> dialogue is often spoken at a whisper, and I could hardly discern what
> the characters are saying. I had to resort to turning the volume
> waaaay up just to hear them. But then the action sequences get
> obnoxiously LOUD. Embarassingly loud, as in loud enough for my
> next-next-next door neighbors to hear.

I noticed this on Alien too, but not on a lot of other DVDs. I also
don't think the difference is quite as much as you describe.

Do you have a surround setup? Because dialogue is mostly confined to the
center channel, maybe the level of the center speaker is set too low.
Try to adjust just the volume of the center channel.

Mischa

damnfine

Your DVD player probably has dynamic range compression somewhere in its
audio options.

--
/^\damnfine/^\
"Where is Richard Nixon when we finally need him?"

What The

Also sometimes listed as "night mode" in some dvd player setups.

"damnfine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3hs8e.1668$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Your DVD player probably has dynamic range compression somewhere in its audio
> options.
>

> --
> /^\damnfine/^\
> "Where is Richard Nixon when we finally need him?"
> - Hunter S. Thompson

Mark Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Anybody else have this experience? This problem has been dogging me
> for the past seven or eight years... but I hardly ever hear anybody
> else complain about it.

This problem will go away if you have a surround sound system
with a center channel speaker for the dialog. I have had this
problem before on a regular speaker system, but never
with surround sound.

Bob D.

Is this the beginning of the end for stereo? I'm concerned that ultimately
some kind of multi-speaker, surround sound format would come out that can't
be played on an ordinary stereo. My little living room barely has room for
two speakers!

--
Bob D.

"Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0eu8e.8304$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Anybody else have this experience? This problem has been dogging me
>> for the past seven or eight years... but I hardly ever hear anybody
>> else complain about it.

> This problem will go away if you have a surround sound system
> with a center channel speaker for the dialog. I have had this
> problem before on a regular speaker system, but never
> with surround sound.

Mark Jones

"Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsww8e.22452$Bb3.3096@attbi_s22...
> Is this the beginning of the end for stereo? I'm concerned that ultimately
> some kind of multi-speaker, surround sound format would come out that

can't
> be played on an ordinary stereo. My little living room barely has room for
> two speakers!

Surround sound can be obtained very cheaply and you can use
front and rear speakers that are very small but will produce good
sound. Go to a store such as Best Buy or Circuit City and look
at the surround sound packages. They include the amplifier
and the speakers. The sub-woofer can be positioned anywhere
in the room. Mine is off to the side and in the floor.

Make certain that the package includes a center channel
speaker. This makes a lot of difference with some movies.
Look at the 5.1 systems and make sure all 6 speakers
are included. The center channel speaker should be placed
on top of your TV.

Jay G.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:53:49 GMT, Bob D. wrote:

> Is this the beginning of the end for stereo? I'm concerned that ultimately
> some kind of multi-speaker, surround sound format would come out that can't
> be played on an ordinary stereo. My little living room barely has room for
> two speakers!

Most current DVDs are 5.1, and DVD players are currently required to be
able to down-mix to stereo.

-Jay

Biz

FOr watching movies or tvs at home, stereo has been dead since the advent of
Dolby Pro Logic. You need a 3 channel setup Left/Center/Right , or you
should just use the crappy tv speakers. I keep reading about people
swearing by a phantom center setup, but I have yet to hear one that could
compete with a real center channel.

"Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsww8e.22452$Bb3.3096@attbi_s22...
> Is this the beginning of the end for stereo? I'm concerned that ultimately
> some kind of multi-speaker, surround sound format would come out that

can't
> be played on an ordinary stereo. My little living room barely has room for
> two speakers!
>
> --
> Bob D.
>
> "Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0eu8e.8304$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >> Anybody else have this experience? This problem has been dogging me
> >> for the past seven or eight years... but I hardly ever hear anybody
> >> else complain about it.

> > This problem will go away if you have a surround sound system
> > with a center channel speaker for the dialog. I have had this
> > problem before on a regular speaker system, but never
> > with surround sound.

Stan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1113733295.683822.172800
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Whenever I watch "Alien" on DVD, I end up having to constantly adjust
> the volume level. The sound on this title is wildly uneven. The
> dialogue is often spoken at a whisper, and I could hardly discern what
> the characters are saying.

I believe that this was done *intentionally* by the director.

snip