Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Philips DVDR75 recordings

Philips DVDR75 recordings

muffin@labyrinth.net.au

I've a Philips DVDR75 machine. (At least, I do as a rule. It's been
gone for service since before Easter because of a fault in recognising
discs and disc-types inserted into it.)

Strangely, a friend in the US to whom I sent DVD+RW discs (I'm in
Melbourne, Australia), and who has his own Philips DVDRs, reports that
his machines 'can't open' the discs. He has to use another machine, a
DVD-player of a different brand.

Even then, he reports that one disc stopped playing after 65 mins, i.e.,
before the recorded material was finished.

I have always used only DVD+RW discs (since getting my DVD-recorder
about a year ago). My friend in the US tells me that Philips have told
him that DVD+R discs are 'more stable'.

Comments on any of the above, anyone?

Thanks - Ken

P.S. I may cross-post this message.

Rotes Sapiens

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:24:46 +1000, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I've a Philips DVDR75 machine. (At least, I do as a rule. It's been
>gone for service since before Easter because of a fault in recognising
>discs and disc-types inserted into it.)

>Strangely, a friend in the US to whom I sent DVD+RW discs (I'm in
>Melbourne, Australia), and who has his own Philips DVDRs, reports that
>his machines 'can't open' the discs. He has to use another machine, a
>DVD-player of a different brand.

>Even then, he reports that one disc stopped playing after 65 mins, i.e.,
>before the recorded material was finished.

>I have always used only DVD+RW discs (since getting my DVD-recorder
>about a year ago). My friend in the US tells me that Philips have told
>him that DVD+R discs are 'more stable'.

Although I don't have have a DVD recorder, I've read that they have a
habit of breaking down with a few months of use. My experience with a
computer DVD burner for -RW is that they are not stable. +RW are
usually reliable, but sometimes a burn or erase fails for no obvious
reason. A full erase recovers the disk,but I don't know what caused
the failure. Articles I've read suggest that +/- RW can't be expected
to hold the data for more than 6 months. With some brands of +/- RW,
they seem to cause problems 1 month after the disk was burned.

Sig:
Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need. -Voltaire,
philosopher (1694-177

Philips DVDR75 picture quality problems Hillen120 DVD Video 1 10-18-2004 08:26 PM
Newsgroup for classical music recordings Steve Freides Computer Support 7 01-05-2004 09:30 PM
Phillips DVDR75 Tom DVD Video 3 12-05-2003 10:49 PM
Recordings Too Large Leslie Rhorer DVD Video 9 10-07-2003 08:21 PM
Editing commercials from DVD recordings off TV.... Joseph S. Powell, III DVD Video 4 09-11-2003 08:51 AM

Advertisments