Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Looking for RF *DE*-modulator

Looking for RF *DE*-modulator

Aaron J. Bossig

Hi all.

No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

Jay G.

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:09:04 -0500, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
> RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
> What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
> takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
> composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
> asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

Well, you could buy a cheap VCR with video outputs.

May I ask why you need one? People here might be better able to help if
they know the specifics.

-Jay

Oldus Fartus

Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
> RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
> What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
> takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
> composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
> asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

Can I ask what it is you are trying to do? It would seem to me that
you probably already have such a device - your VCR (which takes an RF
signal, and outputs an AV signal.)

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Aaron J. Bossig

"Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1fhehjehnfxhb$.1pgrtukryj002.dlg@
40tude.net:

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:09:04 -0500, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
>> RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
>> What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
>> takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
>> composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
>> asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

> Well, you could buy a cheap VCR with video outputs.

I could, but that just seems clunky.

> May I ask why you need one? People here might be better able to help if
> they know the specifics.

I recently got a top-loading NES off of eBay, which has many nice features,
but a composite out is not one of them. It only has RF out, and I'm trying
to consider my options: do a mod to put A/V ports on it, or get a very
clean RF signal out, and demodulate from there?

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

Rich Clark

"Aaron J. Bossig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns963AE14FC7F92linkvb06SpammersWill@204.186. 200.105...
> Hi all.
>
> No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
> RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
> What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
> takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
> composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
> asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

"RF Demodulator" is another name for "tuner."

Or are you looking for an AC-3 demodulator for a Laserdisc player?

RichC

Nicholas Andrade

Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
> "Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1fhehjehnfxhb$.1pgrtukryj002.dlg@
> 40tude.net:
>

>>On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:09:04 -0500, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all.
>>>
>>>No, I'm not trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV with only
>>>RF inputs, I don't need one of those handy Radio Shack boxes.
>>>What I'm looking for is advice on a device that does the opposite:
>>>takes an RF signal (preferably from an RCA source) and creates a
>>>composite signal. These don't seem to be common devices, so I'm
>>>asking: What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

>>Well, you could buy a cheap VCR with video outputs.

> I could, but that just seems clunky.
>

>>May I ask why you need one? People here might be better able to help if
>>they know the specifics.

> I recently got a top-loading NES off of eBay, which has many nice features,
> but a composite out is not one of them. It only has RF out, and I'm trying
> to consider my options: do a mod to put A/V ports on it, or get a very
> clean RF signal out, and demodulate from there?

Just out of curiosity, why'd you go the toploading route? The original
NES has composite video and mono audio out in addition to RF.

Aaron J. Bossig

Nicholas Andrade <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsNk8e.5770$(E-Mail Removed) m:

>> I recently got a top-loading NES off of eBay, which has many nice
>> features, but a composite out is not one of them. It only has RF
>> out, and I'm trying to consider my options: do a mod to put A/V
>> ports on it, or get a very clean RF signal out, and demodulate from
>> there?
>>

> Just out of curiosity, why'd you go the toploading route? The
> original NES has composite video and mono audio out in addition to RF.

They're more reliable in terms of getting the games to start up correctly
the first time around.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

Impmon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What choices do I have, and are some better than others?

Your VCR will do the trick easy. just plug the RF source into RF (or
antenna/cable) input and take AV out and you're set.

Impmon

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:05:41 -0500, "Aaron J. Bossig"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Just out of curiosity, why'd you go the toploading route? The
>> original NES has composite video and mono audio out in addition to RF.

>They're more reliable in terms of getting the games to start up correctly
>the first time around.

Personally I don't see paying $100 for a top loading is really worth
it when a $10 toaster box with a $5 new connector plus a bottle of
rubbing alcohol (as close to 100% alcohol as possible) and a bag of
Q-Tips to clean the NES carts. Cheaper in the long run.

I've replaced the connector in one of my NES oh about 5 or 6 years ago
when MCM was the only source before resllers flooded eBay and I
haven't had any problem since then.

If you must keep the top loading NES, there are already plans on
internet to add AV support to top loading NES but it will also produce
horizontal lines, this is a design flaw of top loading NES deck. Or
just look for a cheap VCR player (not recorder) as they are often
smaller without record feature.

Jay G.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 05:12:23 -0400, Impmon wrote:

> If you must keep the top loading NES, there are already plans on
> internet to add AV support to top loading NES but it will also produce
> horizontal lines, this is a design flaw of top loading NES deck.

Here's a link to plans for adding an A/V output:
http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/nes2avmod.htm

It doesn't mention the horizontal lines

> Or just look for a cheap VCR player (not recorder) as they are often
> smaller without record feature.

The problem is most Video Cassette Players don't have built-in tuners,
since they don't need one to record.

-Jay