Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > NETFLIX

NETFLIX

gunner

Is it possible to find out what movies are available from NetFlix before
joining. I am most interest in older and OOP movies.

Gunner

Mark McGee

I'm sure you could just go to the website and input the titles you're
interested in to see if they carry them.

"gunner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to find out what movies are available from NetFlix before
> joining. I am most interest in older and OOP movies.
>
> Gunner

Phil R.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:16:42 -0700, "gunner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is it possible to find out what movies are available from NetFlix before
>joining. I am most interest in older and OOP movies.
>
>Gunner

Yes. You can browse their selection right now.

--Phil

ernest144

If you like older movies, Netflix is way better than Blockbuster. I've
tried both and BB rarely has available older movies. They have maybe 1
copy that is always rented out.

elliott_moore

Before I joined Netflix, I got together a long list
(over 50) of the mostly older, foreign, subtitled
movies from the 1930s and 1940s I most wanted to
see, but had never found anywhere. They were mostly
long out of print in any format, and my local video
remtal stores stocked exactly ONE off the list.

You can navigate through their initial advertizing
screens to reach their "search" function, and type
in your lists.

I was pleasantly surprised by how many (over half) I found to
be available that way. After joining, they added
others of this genre I have also enjoyed. You can
voluntarily "rate" (award stars) to any movie Netflix offers,
whether you saw it as a Netflix rental, or in a movie
theater, or even rented from BlockBuster. They will
generate a "recommended" list for you of what they
consider to be similar movies, and they're often
right. After being a customer for 8 months or so,
I can highly recommend Netflix.

Great service, promptly and efficiently executed -
but highly dependent on the vagaries of the U. S.
Postal Service deliveries - sometimes next day,
sometimes next week. Netflix sends you an email when
they receive their DVD back, then also send you another
email when they ship a replacement DVD off the queue
you've generated, usually a few hours later.

Elliott Moore

lorincantrell@yahoo.com

"Vagaries of the USPS" is for damn sure. Had disc 1 and 2 of
Wonderfalls ship on a Monday. Had disc 3 of same ship on a Wednesday.
Received discs 2 and 3 on Thursday, disc 1 on Friday. Still would like
to know how that happened. Also, the week before that, mailed 2 discs
back on a Saturday. One was received by Netflix on Monday. The other
was also received on Monday, ONE WEEK LATER. Both were mailed at the
same time, in the same mailbox. Explain that one too me. So, I can
recommend Netflix for selection and overall service, but it helps to be
in or very close to the city your distribution center is in.

-beaumon

Alpha

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> "Vagaries of the USPS" is for damn sure. Had disc 1 and 2 of
> Wonderfalls ship on a Monday. Had disc 3 of same ship on a Wednesday.
> Received discs 2 and 3 on Thursday, disc 1 on Friday. Still would like
> to know how that happened. Also, the week before that, mailed 2 discs
> back on a Saturday. One was received by Netflix on Monday. The other
> was also received on Monday, ONE WEEK LATER. Both were mailed at the
> same time, in the same mailbox. Explain that one too me.

It does not matter. The UPS does not send everything into the same
processing channel. Hence, what *you* do and *where* you do it can have
little meaning.