Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ?

does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ?

Benjamin Gawert

Alan Figgatt wrote:

> A large part of the reason that Sony is not using DVD in their
> product name is that if they used DVD, they would have to pay
> royalties to the companies that own parts of the DVD copyrights.

Well, no. The term "DVD" isn't copyrighted at all. There are a few standards
(DVD-Video, DVD-RAM, DVD-R(W) etc) that are property of the DVD Forum, so
Sony can't use any of the names for these formats. But they can use a term
that includes "DVD" if they want...

The reason Sony isn't using anything with DVD is that it would imply that
their new devices are compatible to generic DVDs (playback DVD-Videos for
example) which they aren't.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert

Bill Vermillion wrote:

> As I recall the licensing on VHS was lower.

Right.

> Sony invented VHS

Wrong. VHS was invented by the Victor Company of Japan (aka JVC)...

> but
> didn't like it and moved on to Beta. Sony did NOT keep Beta to
> itself. Other manufacturers made Beta machines and I had
> an NEC that was had gorgeous pictures

Right. Sony licensed Beta to other companies. But they had to call their
recorders "Beta" while Sony used the copyrighted term "Betamax"...

> - as it also had
> the SB1 - Super Beta 1 - that Sony had in their high-end machines
> like my SL-1000 and perhaps the 900 series also.

Right, but at that time there also were SVHS machines which used separate
Y/C recording and offered a much better picture than the SuperBeta which
still used composite recording...

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert

Bill Vermillion wrote:

> As I recall it, Sony invented it, and discarded the concept,

That's just an urban legend. Widespread, but still a legend.

> and
> then JVC went on to develop it with the current specs in use today.

No. It also wouldn't be possible. Remember that Sony charged a lot for
licensing Betamax and even Umatic to other companies? You really believe the
exact same company would invest money in developing a video standard and
then giving it away for free?

> The VHS was somewhat patterned after the U-matic that Sony
> announced in 1969 and introducedin 1972, but with 1/2"
> tape instead of 3/4" tape. As I recall the time line was Sony
> developed/invented VHS in 1974/5, never even marketed it, and
> went on to releast the Beta in 1975.

Sonys Betamax system derived from their semiprofessional Umatic video
system. Both share a lot of common parameters, like the U-Loading concept.

VHS, which definitely was invented by JVC and not by Sony, had some
different approaches (i.e. M-Loading concept)...

Sony never did anything like VHS. They went directly from Umatic to their
home video system Betamax...

Benjamin

Joshua Zyber

"Benjamin Gawert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The reason Sony isn't using anything with DVD is that it would imply
> that their new devices are compatible to generic DVDs (playback
> DVD-Videos for example) which they aren't.

Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will be backwards compatible with standard DVD.
This has been confirmed by both camps.

Jeff Rife

Joshua Zyber ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> > The reason Sony isn't using anything with DVD is that it would imply
> > that their new devices are compatible to generic DVDs (playback
> > DVD-Videos for example) which they aren't.

> Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will be backwards compatible with standard DVD.
> This has been confirmed by both camps.

I remember that one of the two technologies could be set up with multiple
layers so that you could put standard DVD-Video on the same disc as the
HD video, and current players would only see the DVD-Video. That would
be the best thing for full compatability, but I don't see it happening,
as the only reason to do it would be to have new releases using the dual
format. This would mean no double sales, since people would already have
the HD version when they get an HD player.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/TechBigot.gif

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Benjamin Gawert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bill Vermillion wrote:
>
>> As I recall the licensing on VHS was lower.

>Right.
>
>> Sony invented VHS

>Wrong. VHS was invented by the Victor Company of Japan (aka JVC)...
>
>> but
>> didn't like it and moved on to Beta. Sony did NOT keep Beta to
>> itself. Other manufacturers made Beta machines and I had
>> an NEC that was had gorgeous pictures

>Right. Sony licensed Beta to other companies. But they had to call their
>recorders "Beta" while Sony used the copyrighted term "Betamax"...

>> - as it also had
>> the SB1 - Super Beta 1 - that Sony had in their high-end machines
>> like my SL-1000 and perhaps the 900 series also.

>Right, but at that time there also were SVHS machines which used
>separate Y/C recording and offered a much better picture than the
>SuperBeta which still used composite recording...

But the S-VHS didn't compare with SB-1. My SL-1000s had a 6Mhz
bandwidth and the difference was visible. Those also had lower
chroma noise than S-VHS. Then my EDV-9500 ran with a 10MHz
bandwidth and using the standard test patterns, the resolution
came in between 500 and 550. You could see 500, but not 550, so I
estimated it was about 525.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Benjamin Gawert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The term "DVD" isn't copyrighted at all.

But it is trademarkable, provided it doesn't actually stand for anything.

chrisv

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

>VHS, which definitely was invented by JVC and not by Sony, had some
>different approaches (i.e. M-Loading concept)...

I'm on your side. I know I've read some articles on this, including
one just a few years ago, about the guy at JVC who they call "the
father of VHS". If there was a Sony origin of the technology that was
not mentioned, it would have to be one of the most dishonest pieces of
reporting that I've ever read.

Henri Tapani Heinonen

"Black Locust" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
viestissä:(E-Mail Removed)...
> so we have CD, DVD, VHS and... Blu-Ray?! How is the average Joe
> even supposed to know what that is? HD-DVD works fine and is about as

The answer is All-in-one Combo Drive, of course! Just read the petition
http://www.petitiononline.com/combo/petition.html, undersign it, and spread
the word about it. It is that simple.

I am not going to worry about the formats; I will buy a combo drive that can
handle them all.

--
Henri Heinonen - filosofian ylioppilas fysiikasta

Henri Tapani Heinonen

"Bill Vermillion" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti viestissä:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As the old saying goes "the nice thing about standards is we have
> so many from which to choose".

Yes. That is true.

The only way to preserve all the formats is to make a combo drive which can
read and write them all. See