Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: BEWARE Blockbuster's new policy

Re: BEWARE Blockbuster's new policy

Dr. Jai Maharaj

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

> Yes, you can keep the dvd you rented, if you pay
> for it. No more late charges.
> Just check out the prices they are charging
> for those DVDs. Think it'll be something like $15
> for a Warner title, for example? Think again.
> -Rich

Does Netflix charge less for the DVDs if you want to keep 'em?

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

Gregg Cattanach

Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>>
>> Yes, you can keep the dvd you rented, if you pay
>> for it. No more late charges.
>> Just check out the prices they are charging
>> for those DVDs. Think it'll be something like $15
>> for a Warner title, for example? Think again.
>> -Rich

> Does Netflix charge less for the DVDs if you want to keep 'em?

With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk of being
billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal about lost DVDs,
no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

--
Gregg C.

unclejr

Gregg Cattanach wrote:
> With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk
> of being billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal
> about lost DVDs, no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

This sounds like a really cheap way to get (read: steal) a rare OOP
DVD!

-Junior

unclejr

Gregg Cattanach wrote:
> With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk
> of being billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal
> about lost DVDs, no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

This sounds like a really cheap way to get (read: steal) a rare OOP
DVD!

-Junior

TB

"unclejr" wrote:

> Gregg Cattanach wrote:
>> With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk
>> of being billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal
>> about lost DVDs, no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

> This sounds like a really cheap way to get (read: steal) a rare OOP
> DVD!

I doubt you'll find Netflix or Blockbuster for that matter renting truly
rare dvds like the Criterion "Salo" or even old OOP Disney titles.

T.B.

RichA

On 13 Apr 2005 15:28:18 -0700, "unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gregg Cattanach wrote:
>> With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk
>> of being billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal
>> about lost DVDs, no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

>This sounds like a really cheap way to get (read: steal) a rare OOP
>DVD!
>
>-Junior

It's one way to get them, if you don't mind one that's written on
and has no original case.
-Rich

Reginald Dwight

In article <Mff7e.2109$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"Gregg Cattanach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk of being
> billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal about lost DVDs,
> no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

Actually they are pretty liberal when it DID happen too often to me. I
was having some nice little thief going through my mail and he took four
discs total and Netflix never did anything to me. I guess the limit must
be at least over four.

moviePig

unclejr wrote:

> Gregg Cattanach wrote:
>
>>With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk
>>of being billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal
>>about lost DVDs, no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

> This sounds like a really cheap way to get (read: steal) a rare OOP
> DVD!

Haven't checked their policy on it, but the practice doesn't sound too
difficult to spot... and to discourage, as they've got your Visa/MC.

--

/---------------------------\
| YOUR taste at work... |

Gregg Cattanach

Derek Janssen wrote:

>>> This sounds like a really cheap way to get (read: steal) a rare OOP
>>> DVD!

>> Haven't checked their policy on it, but the practice doesn't sound
>> too difficult to spot... and to discourage, as they've got your
>> Visa/MC.

> Oh, and four "losses" (even if the disk "never arrived") over a
> subscription, and your account's pulled and/or banned for life...

Not true. It is based on the number of lost DVDs over a rolling time
period. The post office has lost about 10 DVDs over my several year
subscription, and I haven't been 'banned'. And besides, if you have too
many losses, they don't close your account, they will bill you for the cost
of the last lost DVD.

Don't post about Netflix when you don't have a clue how they operate.

--
Gregg C.

Dr. Jai Maharaj

In article <Tbz7e.133$(E-Mail Removed)>,
moviePig <(E-Mail Removed)> posted: