Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Slightly OT: Ripping MP3?

Slightly OT: Ripping MP3?

Bobby

I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.

Can anyone tell me how best to do this?

Cheers.

Bobby

Mark W

"Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
>
> Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

What is the MP3 file and which portion do you want? It all depends, you see.

Bobby

Not sure what you mean.

It's a standard MP3 file (spoken not music) and I want to extract a portion
of it.

Cheers.

Bobby

"Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message
news:4256e0a9$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby
>>

> What is the MP3 file and which portion do you want? It all depends, you
> see.

P Pron

Bobby wrote:
> Not sure what you mean.

Neither is anyone else.....

> It's a standard MP3 file (spoken not music) and I want to extract a
> portion of it.

*MP3 Direct Cut* - free from http://www.mpesch3.de/ is excellent for mp3
editing - and dead easy to use
hth
paul

> Cheers.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message
> news:4256e0a9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Bobby
>>>

>> What is the MP3 file and which portion do you want? It all depends,
>> you see.

Nicholas Andrade

Bobby wrote:

> I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
>
> Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Check out Audacity (audacity.sf.net); it's a free, open source sound
editor (similar to Symantec's Cool Edit Pro, a great old product
swallowed up and re-released by Adobe). I think it's fairly intuitive,
but if you have questions just post. Also, regardless of which product
you use, be sure to backup your original MP3 and work on that. Every
product that edits MP3's must first decompress them to WAV then
re-encode them back to MP3 (a lossy format). Given the choice, I'd
recommend keeping your sound files in lossless compression formats like
Shorten (SHN) or Flac.

Rick

"Nicholas Andrade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6mI5e.17036$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Bobby wrote:
>
>> I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby

> Check out Audacity (audacity.sf.net); it's a free, open source sound
> editor (similar to Symantec's Cool Edit Pro, a great old product swallowed
> up and re-released by Adobe). I think it's fairly intuitive, but if you
> have questions just post. Also, regardless of which product you use, be
> sure to backup your original MP3 and work on that. Every product that
> edits MP3's must first decompress them to WAV then re-encode them back to
> MP3 (a lossy format). Given the choice, I'd recommend keeping your sound
> files in lossless compression formats like Shorten (SHN) or Flac.

There is no need to recompress an mp3, you can just edit out the portion you
need and retain its original encoding. MP3Trim isn't free but if you can
find a copy then it will cut any part of the mp3 you want, however it will
only trim from specific points (much like when you edit an .mpg video file
where it will have "compression markers") which will restrict your choices
of where to edit from but these are barely half a second out in practice.

Jay G.

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 03:54:42 GMT, Nicholas Andrade wrote:

> Bobby wrote:
>
>> I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby
>>

> Check out Audacity (audacity.sf.net); it's a free, open source sound
> editor (similar to Symantec's Cool Edit Pro, a great old product
> swallowed up and re-released by Adobe). I think it's fairly intuitive,
> but if you have questions just post. Also, regardless of which product
> you use, be sure to backup your original MP3 and work on that. Every
> product that edits MP3's must first decompress them to WAV then
> re-encode them back to MP3 (a lossy format).

Not necessarily. There are several mp3 editors that will allow you to cut
and join mp3 files without decompression-recompression.

A few that will do so:

MP3 Direct Cut - http://www.mpesch3.de/
BeSplit - http://besweet.notrace.dk/BeSplit.html
MP3 Trackmaker - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/trackmaker.html

-Jay

Dr Hackenbush

"Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
>
> Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Use the trial version of Goldwave. Drag your mp3 into it from a folder, cut,
chop, change, add, delete, virtually whatever you want then save the result
in just about any format you like .

simple really

Mook23

"Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
>
> Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Most decent sound editing progams will acomplish this task as they allow one
to work with audio files of any format. CoolEdit does it (I think) as does
Sound Forge. But if it's more of a one time thing, I think there are
probably easier progams out there for you to use...

Bill Vermillion

In article <1jtup6pyjexqs$.1vlu7mnud5tn7$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jay G. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 03:54:42 GMT, Nicholas Andrade wrote:
>
>> Bobby wrote:
>>
>>> I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Bobby
>>>

>> Check out Audacity (audacity.sf.net); it's a free, open source sound
>> editor (similar to Symantec's Cool Edit Pro, a great old product
>> swallowed up and re-released by Adobe). I think it's fairly intuitive,
>> but if you have questions just post. Also, regardless of which product
>> you use, be sure to backup your original MP3 and work on that. Every
>> product that edits MP3's must first decompress them to WAV then
>> re-encode them back to MP3 (a lossy format).

>Not necessarily. There are several mp3 editors that will allow you to cut
>and join mp3 files without decompression-recompression.
>
>A few that will do so:

>MP3 Direct Cut - http://www.mpesch3.de/
>BeSplit - http://besweet.notrace.dk/BeSplit.html
>MP3 Trackmaker - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/trackmaker.html

Will any of those allow editing of the mp3 without taking out
the tags for the titles?

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com