Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Extracting short excerpt from DVD?

Extracting short excerpt from DVD?

Bobby

Can anyone tell me how to copy a short clip from a DVD? And save it in MPEG
or WMV format? What's the best software for this? And will it work with
commercial DVDs?

Cheers.

Bobby

Graham Mayor

I guess if I was doing this, I would rip the required VOB file from the
disc to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter (which works for commercial discs)
then VideoRedo (there's a demo) will read the VOB and enable you to extract
the segment you want as mpeg. The hardest bit about this method would be in
identifying which of the VOBs contains the part you require, but if you set
Decrypter to extract only the main movie and you know roughly how long into
the movie the selection is, then it doesn't take rocket science to determine
which of the highlighted VOBs contains the segment.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<>
Graham Mayor

Bobby wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to copy a short clip from a DVD? And save it
> in MPEG or WMV format? What's the best software for this? And will it
> work with commercial DVDs?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Tom

"Graham Mayor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:424fd741$0$298$(E-Mail Removed):

> I guess if I was doing this, I would rip the required VOB file from the
> disc to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter (which works for commercial
> discs) then VideoRedo (there's a demo) will read the VOB and enable you
> to extract the segment you want as mpeg. The hardest bit about this
> method would be in identifying which of the VOBs contains the part you
> require, but if you set Decrypter to extract only the main movie and you
> know roughly how long into the movie the selection is, then it doesn't
> take rocket science to determine which of the highlighted VOBs contains
> the segment.

I would use DVD Shrink's re-author to just rip the portion that you want to
then convert.

P Pron

Graham Mayor wrote:
> Bobby wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me how to copy a short clip from a DVD? And save it
>> in MPEG or WMV format? What's the best software for this? And will it
>> work with commercial DVDs?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby

> I guess if I was doing this, I would rip the required VOB file from
> the disc to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter (which works for
> commercial discs) then VideoRedo (there's a demo) will read the VOB
> and enable you to extract the segment you want as mpeg. The hardest
> bit about this method would be in identifying which of the VOBs
> contains the part you require, but if you set Decrypter to extract
> only the main movie and you know roughly how long into the movie the
> selection is, then it doesn't take rocket science to determine which
> of the highlighted VOBs contains the segment.

If it's only one extract, the "Reauthor" button in DVDShrink lets you set
the start/finish point of any title on a DVD. I'd be inclined to use that -
which generally means that DVD Decrypter isn't necessary...
paul

Graham Mayor

This would work too, but the issue is still that of correctly identifying
the clip you actually want to save, and frankly I don't think that is as
easy to do using Shrink as with the method I suggested - even though it does
use two pieces of software. The VideoReDo trial period should be ample to
determine whether the OP wants to follow this path.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<>
Graham Mayor

P Pron wrote:
> Graham Mayor wrote:
>> Bobby wrote:
>>> Can anyone tell me how to copy a short clip from a DVD? And save it
>>> in MPEG or WMV format? What's the best software for this? And will
>>> it work with commercial DVDs?
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Bobby

>> I guess if I was doing this, I would rip the required VOB file from
>> the disc to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter (which works for
>> commercial discs) then VideoRedo (there's a demo) will read the VOB
>> and enable you to extract the segment you want as mpeg. The hardest
>> bit about this method would be in identifying which of the VOBs
>> contains the part you require, but if you set Decrypter to extract
>> only the main movie and you know roughly how long into the movie the
>> selection is, then it doesn't take rocket science to determine which
>> of the highlighted VOBs contains the segment.
>>

> If it's only one extract, the "Reauthor" button in DVDShrink lets you
> set the start/finish point of any title on a DVD. I'd be inclined to
> use that - which generally means that DVD Decrypter isn't necessary...
> paul

P Pron

Graham Mayor wrote:
> P Pron wrote:
>> Graham Mayor wrote:

>>> I guess if I was doing this, I would rip the required VOB file from
>>> the disc to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter (which works for
>>> commercial discs) then VideoRedo (there's a demo) will read the VOB
>>> and enable you to extract the segment you want as mpeg. The hardest
>>> bit about this method would be in identifying which of the VOBs
>>> contains the part you require, but if you set Decrypter to extract
>>> only the main movie and you know roughly how long into the movie the
>>> selection is, then it doesn't take rocket science to determine which
>>> of the highlighted VOBs contains the segment.
>>>

>> If it's only one extract, the "Reauthor" button in DVDShrink lets you
>> set the start/finish point of any title on a DVD. I'd be inclined to
>> use that - which generally means that DVD Decrypter isn't
>> necessary... paul

> This would work too, but the issue is still that of correctly
> identifying the clip you actually want to save, and frankly I don't
> think that is as easy to do using Shrink as with the method I
> suggested - even though it does use two pieces of software. The
> VideoReDo trial period should be ample to determine whether the OP
> wants to follow this path.

Not wishing in any way to contradict an expert, the preview window of
DVDShrink allows you to watch the whole movie from beginning to end - with a
scroll bar to speed things up if you wish. But the point of my suggesting
Shrink was as a substitute for Decrypter, not VideoReDo - it seemed to me
that it would be easier to deal with a Title than a folder of VOBs.

paul

sed

DVD Ripper does a good job and allows you to set a starting and ending frame
to create an mpeg or mpeg2.

"Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone tell me how to copy a short clip from a DVD? And save it in

MPEG
> or WMV format? What's the best software for this? And will it work with
> commercial DVDs?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Ed Kim

P Pron wrote:
> Graham Mayor wrote:
> > P Pron wrote:

it

will

from

VOB

hardest

extract

the

which

> >> If it's only one extract, the "Reauthor" button in DVDShrink lets

you
> >> set the start/finish point of any title on a DVD. I'd be inclined

> >> use that - which generally means that DVD Decrypter isn't
> >> necessary... paul

> > This would work too, but the issue is still that of correctly
> > identifying the clip you actually want to save, and frankly I don't
> > think that is as easy to do using Shrink as with the method I
> > suggested - even though it does use two pieces of software. The
> > VideoReDo trial period should be ample to determine whether the OP
> > wants to follow this path.
> >

> Not wishing in any way to contradict an expert, the preview window of

> DVDShrink allows you to watch the whole movie from beginning to end -

with a
> scroll bar to speed things up if you wish. But the point of my

suggesting
> Shrink was as a substitute for Decrypter, not VideoReDo - it seemed

to me
> that it would be easier to deal with a Title than a folder of VOBs.
>
> paul

iawtp. i have done this often. the SET START AND END FRAMES part of
dvdshrink is quite good. You select BEGIN CHPTER and END CHAPTER and
then there's a slider bar to tweak from there, with frame by frame
advance.

once you've got a .vob ripped, you can encode to whateveryou want with
whatever you want. i use imToo's dvdripper.

-goro-

Graham Mayor

P Pron wrote:
> Graham Mayor wrote:
>> P Pron wrote:

>>> If it's only one extract, the "Reauthor" button in DVDShrink lets
>>> you set the start/finish point of any title on a DVD. I'd be
>>> inclined to use that - which generally means that DVD Decrypter
>>> isn't necessary... paul

>> This would work too, but the issue is still that of correctly
>> identifying the clip you actually want to save, and frankly I don't
>> think that is as easy to do using Shrink as with the method I
>> suggested - even though it does use two pieces of software. The
>> VideoReDo trial period should be ample to determine whether the OP
>> wants to follow this path.
>>

> Not wishing in any way to contradict an expert, the preview window of
> DVDShrink allows you to watch the whole movie from beginning to end -
> with a scroll bar to speed things up if you wish. But the point of my
> suggesting Shrink was as a substitute for Decrypter, not VideoReDo -
> it seemed to me that it would be easier to deal with a Title than a
> folder of VOBs.
>
> paul

I have no argument with your methodology or your reasoning. Shrink (I
believe the technology has now been transferred to Nero Recode) should be in
every video enthusiast's tool box, and what you say about the use of it is
correct, however, its ability to mark sections for extraction is nowhere
near as fast as that of VideoReDo, and it is the excellence of the latter
application that makes this an alternative that may be easier to handle.
Furthermore Decrypter is more robust in its ability to deal with difficult
discs than Shrink.

As for the working with a title over a list of VOBs then I take your point,
but don't overlook the fact that Decrypter can mark the main movie VOBs for
selection. A typical movie may have four main VOBs each accommodating a
quarter of the movie. If you know roughly where in the movie the clip you
want is located, it is a simple matter to rip the appropriate VOB to mpg.
From then on it becomes child's play.

At the end of the day these are two ways of achieving the same ends using
software products that you can try for yourself and establish which approach
you prefer. However, if you try the approach I have suggested, you will end
up wanting to buy VideoReDo at the end of the trial period

--
Graham Mayor