Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > -ALTERNATIVES

-ALTERNATIVES

-Nexus

For those who are paying for your cable and DSS it's really getting
frustrating. The quality of DSS and cable channels over the past couple of
years has been declining. There is about 13 minutes of commercials for
every 30 minutes of programming. There is also the logos and animation at
the bottom of the screen which is annoying. You now have some of the
premium channels like Starz and Encore putting logos on the screen. These
are channels you pay extra for. Maybe it's time to cancel those premium
channels and use the money to buy the movies you want with no logos. Maybe
it's time to find no cost alternatives because it's no longer worth the
money to subscribe.

Biz

There are about 8 minutes of commercials for every 30 minutes of
programming, hence 30 minute shows are about 22 minutes long, they are not
17 minutes long. The bugs appeared unfortunately because people were
recording the material and selling it, the bugs show who the real
broadcaster was, its an unfortunate sife-effect of bootlegging and piracy.
Noone is forcing you to watch so go ahead and cancel.

"-Nexus" <wiredmail> wrote in message
news:424f1e03$0$165$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> For those who are paying for your cable and DSS it's really getting
> frustrating. The quality of DSS and cable channels over the past couple of
> years has been declining. There is about 13 minutes of commercials for
> every 30 minutes of programming. There is also the logos and animation at
> the bottom of the screen which is annoying. You now have some of the
> premium channels like Starz and Encore putting logos on the screen. These
> are channels you pay extra for. Maybe it's time to cancel those premium
> channels and use the money to buy the movies you want with no logos. Maybe
> it's time to find no cost alternatives because it's no longer worth the
> money to subscribe.

-Nexus

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:0rJ3e.507234$(E-Mail Removed):

> There are about 8 minutes of commercials for every 30 minutes of
> programming, hence 30 minute shows are about 22 minutes long, they are
> not 17 minutes long. The bugs appeared unfortunately because people
> were recording the material and selling it, the bugs show who the real
> broadcaster was, its an unfortunate sife-effect of bootlegging and
> piracy. Noone is forcing you to watch so go ahead and cancel.
>
> "-Nexus" <wiredmail> wrote in message
> news:424f1e03$0$165$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> For those who are paying for your cable and DSS it's really getting
>> frustrating. The quality of DSS and cable channels over the past
>> couple of years has been declining. There is about 13 minutes of
>> commercials for every 30 minutes of programming. There is also the
>> logos and animation at the bottom of the screen which is annoying.
>> You now have some of the premium channels like Starz and Encore
>> putting logos on the screen. These are channels you pay extra for.
>> Maybe it's time to cancel those premium channels and use the money to
>> buy the movies you want with no logos. Maybe it's time to find no
>> cost alternatives because it's no longer worth the money to
>> subscribe.

My stop watch says that it's close to 13. I have had some commercials last
4 - 5 minutes. When the quality of programming declines (while paying $50 -
$ 80 month for it) you force people into alternatives. What's the excuse
for the advertising/animation on the bottom of the screen. This was a way
to force people to watch things they really don't care about (a way around
the remote).

Jeff Rife

("-Nexus" <wiredmail>) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:0rJ3e.507234$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > There are about 8 minutes of commercials for every 30 minutes of
> > programming, hence 30 minute shows are about 22 minutes long, they are
> > not 17 minutes long.

> My stop watch says that it's close to 13.

Your stop watch is wrong, at least as far as all major networks are
concerned. I regularly edit out commercials from my HDTV recordings, and
42 minutes of program is the smallest I have seen for an hour show. Now,
a couple of NBC "supersize" episodes were pretty bad...about 27 minutes of
show in a 40-minute timeslot, but that's rare.

> I have had some commercials last
> 4 - 5 minutes.

Same here. There is *always* a block of commercials that lasts 5 minutes
in "NUM3ERS", but you still end up with 43 minutes of show.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/Sins.jpg

Biz

All the major networks, 30 minute shows are roughly 22 minutes, 60 minute
shows are roughly 43 minutes. All you have to do is watch any 30 or 60
minute network show on a dvd release to verify...

"-Nexus" <wiredmail> wrote in message
news:425099f7$0$163$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:0rJ3e.507234$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > There are about 8 minutes of commercials for every 30 minutes of
> > programming, hence 30 minute shows are about 22 minutes long, they are
> > not 17 minutes long. The bugs appeared unfortunately because people
> > were recording the material and selling it, the bugs show who the real
> > broadcaster was, its an unfortunate sife-effect of bootlegging and
> > piracy. Noone is forcing you to watch so go ahead and cancel.
> >
> > "-Nexus" <wiredmail> wrote in message
> > news:424f1e03$0$165$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> For those who are paying for your cable and DSS it's really getting
> >> frustrating. The quality of DSS and cable channels over the past
> >> couple of years has been declining. There is about 13 minutes of
> >> commercials for every 30 minutes of programming. There is also the
> >> logos and animation at the bottom of the screen which is annoying.
> >> You now have some of the premium channels like Starz and Encore
> >> putting logos on the screen. These are channels you pay extra for.
> >> Maybe it's time to cancel those premium channels and use the money to
> >> buy the movies you want with no logos. Maybe it's time to find no
> >> cost alternatives because it's no longer worth the money to
> >> subscribe.

> My stop watch says that it's close to 13. I have had some commercials last
> 4 - 5 minutes. When the quality of programming declines (while paying

$50 -
> $ 80 month for it) you force people into alternatives. What's the excuse
> for the advertising/animation on the bottom of the screen. This was a way
> to force people to watch things they really don't care about (a way around
> the remote).

Mark Spatny

Biz,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> The bugs appeared unfortunately because people were
> recording the material and selling it, the bugs show who the real
> broadcaster was, its an unfortunate sife-effect of bootlegging and piracy.

Actually, the bugs appeared to identify channels for people who are
channel surfing. With hundreds of channels on cable or satellite, many
showing similar programming, it's pretty hard to identify your favorite
channels without a logo. It's about branding, not fighting piracy.

Stan Brown

"Biz" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>All the major networks, 30 minute shows are roughly 22 minutes, 60 minute
>shows are roughly 43 minutes. All you have to do is watch any 30 or 60
>minute network show on a dvd release to verify...

Or watch a show fter recording it on VHS. I get through an hour
show in about 40 minutes, since I usually FF through the credits
and "coming attractions".

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Jeff Rife

Mark Spatny ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> Actually, the bugs appeared to identify channels for people who are
> channel surfing. With hundreds of channels on cable or satellite, many
> showing similar programming, it's pretty hard to identify your favorite
> channels without a logo. It's about branding, not fighting piracy.

So, now that *every* cable and DBS box shows the channel logo and name
when you surf to it, we should see bugs disappear, right? Didn't think so.

Although branding is some of it, copyright infringement detection is
some of it, too, especially for stations like CNN.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/SalesToFriends.gif

Justin

Jeff Rife wrote on [Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:49:39 -0400]:
> Mark Spatny ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> Actually, the bugs appeared to identify channels for people who are
>> channel surfing. With hundreds of channels on cable or satellite, many
>> showing similar programming, it's pretty hard to identify your favorite
>> channels without a logo. It's about branding, not fighting piracy.

> So, now that *every* cable and DBS box shows the channel logo and name
> when you surf to it, we should see bugs disappear, right? Didn't think so.

Hmmm, not everyone has a cable or DBS box. I sure don't. Yet I have
cable...

Mark Spatny

Jeff Rife,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> So, now that *every* cable and DBS box shows the channel logo and name
> when you surf to it, we should see bugs disappear, right?

No. When people push the channel up or down button, they aren't
neccesarily seeing the DBS box interface.

Think about it...how does putting a logo have anything to do with
piracy? If you see a pirate copy of Carnivale, Iron Chef, or Queer Eye
online, you don't have to be a rocket scientist, or see a logo, to know
that those shows air on HBO, Food Network, and Bravo. And having the
logo on your pirate copy doesn't stop you from distributing it.

If, in mentioning CNN, you are suggesting that the logo is to protect
video exclusives on news channels, that plays a part, but a small part
in the reason for having logo bugs. For 90% of the channels on cable or
DBS, identifying the source is irrelvant.