Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Size of Files

Size of Files

TES

Hello Everybody,
I am trying to create a custom Video DVD with Roxio DVD Builder. I have
three lenghty home made movies with 352x240 resolution. I don't want to
increase resolution as it will make the videos blurry. So I set the custom
screen size for recording DVD.
If I copy all these videos into a Data DVD, I still have some empty space on
it. But When I create a Video DVD without changing the resolution of videos,
I can hardly copy one video. Why is it so? Are *.vob files usually bigger
than *.mpg or *.mpeg files (like in case of *.bmp and *.jpg images)?

Thank you,
--
Syed Zeeshan Haider

------------------------------------
http://szh.20m.com/

Alan Shepherd

This depends on the authoring program your using, many, almost certainly the
one your using re-encode the video files before making the .Vob files set.

If the files are DVD compliant - then the best program to use would be
TmpGenc DVD Author, it does not re-encode video, and does an fast job of
making the Vob file set. If they are not complaint, then you'll have to
encode em anyway.

> I am trying to create a custom Video DVD with Roxio DVD Builder. I have
> three lenghty home made movies with 352x240 resolution. I don't want to
> increase resolution as it will make the videos blurry. So I set the custom
> screen size for recording DVD.
> If I copy all these videos into a Data DVD, I still have some empty space
> on it. But When I create a Video DVD without changing the resolution of
> videos, I can hardly copy one video. Why is it so? Are *.vob files usually
> bigger than *.mpg or *.mpeg files (like in case of *.bmp and *.jpg
> images)?

Geezah

Alan Shepherd wrote:
> This depends on the authoring program your using, many, almost certainly the
> one your using re-encode the video files before making the .Vob files set.
>
> If the files are DVD compliant - then the best program to use would be
> TmpGenc DVD Author, it does not re-encode video, and does an fast job of
> making the Vob file set. If they are not complaint, then you'll have to
> encode em anyway.
>

>>I am trying to create a custom Video DVD with Roxio DVD Builder. I have
>>three lenghty home made movies with 352x240 resolution. I don't want to
>>increase resolution as it will make the videos blurry. So I set the custom
>>screen size for recording DVD.
>>If I copy all these videos into a Data DVD, I still have some empty space
>>on it. But When I create a Video DVD without changing the resolution of
>>videos, I can hardly copy one video. Why is it so? Are *.vob files usually
>>bigger than *.mpg or *.mpeg files (like in case of *.bmp and *.jpg
>>images)?

Pay attention to Your audio as well.

Nonymous

"Alan Shepherd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:424d6c91$0$312$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> This depends on the authoring program your using, many, almost certainly
> the one your using re-encode the video files before making the .Vob files
> set.

Yes, Roxio almost always re-encodes. I think the only time I've seen it not
is when using it to burn VCDs using compliant movies.