Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Why DVD Recorders Can't Replace VCRs...Yet

Why DVD Recorders Can't Replace VCRs...Yet

jeffy3@hotmail.com

I have been thoroughly researching a dvd recorder and it sounds like
they aren't ready for what I need them to do, which is to replace my
vcr as a method of recording all our shows each week. I was hoping to
be able to record shows on a dvd recorder, then if I wanted, take the
dvd to whatever room we were in the mood to watch something, then play
it there, but it sounds like I can't unless I finalize which would be
like throwing money away. I don't want to keep every episode of
Desperate Housewives or LOST. From what I gather from research, even
if my other player is RW compatible, the disc will only work if
finalized. I guess one option is to buy one with a hard drive, tape my
shows onto that, and try to watch most shows in that room.

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, jeffy3
@hotmail.com says...
> I have been thoroughly researching a dvd recorder and it sounds like
> they aren't ready for what I need them to do, which is to replace my
> vcr as a method of recording all our shows each week. I was hoping to
> be able to record shows on a dvd recorder, then if I wanted, take the
> dvd to whatever room we were in the mood to watch something, then play
> it there, but it sounds like I can't unless I finalize which would be
> like throwing money away. I don't want to keep every episode of
> Desperate Housewives or LOST. From what I gather from research, even
> if my other player is RW compatible, the disc will only work if
> finalized. I guess one option is to buy one with a hard drive, tape my
> shows onto that, and try to watch most shows in that room.

Finalizing the disk doesn't preclude recording on it, it only closes the
files. The disk can still be erased and re-recorded. (same as tape).

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

jeffy3@hotmail.com

Oh, assuming you are correct, that changes everything. When I was
reading someone's description of finalizing discs, it made it sound
like it was forever. So what is the downside to just finalizing most
discs so it'll play on other machines?

Reginald Dwight

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

> I have been thoroughly researching a dvd recorder and it sounds like
> they aren't ready for what I need them to do, which is to replace my
> vcr as a method of recording all our shows each week.

What's wrong with Tivo?

> I was hoping to
> be able to record shows on a dvd recorder, then if I wanted, take the
> dvd to whatever room we were in the mood to watch something, then play
> it there, but it sounds like I can't unless I finalize which would be
> like throwing money away.

True. Multiple Tivo units allow transferring of shows to other boxes on
the network. It takes time to transfer but then, so does burning a DVD.

> I don't want to keep every episode of
> Desperate Housewives or LOST. From what I gather from research, even
> if my other player is RW compatible, the disc will only work if
> finalized.

I have had no problem with non-finalized DVD-RW discs being erased and
reused but they were generated on my computer DVD drive.

> I guess one option is to buy one with a hard drive, tape my
> shows onto that, and try to watch most shows in that room.

Or get Tivo and only send things you really want to keep to a DVD
recorder.

I'm not a Tivo salesguy or anything but I would seriously look into
seeing if it can better accomplish what you're setting out to do. I'm
not saying it will for sure but at least look at the possibility.

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, jeffy3
@hotmail.com says...
> Oh, assuming you are correct, that changes everything. When I was
> reading someone's description of finalizing discs, it made it sound
> like it was forever. So what is the downside to just finalizing most
> discs so it'll play on other machines?

If you are using RW discs, the downside is, when you erase it you lose
everything on it,, again, like tape.

one final question, will your recorder finalize an rw disc?? some wont.
--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

jeffy3@hotmail.com

Here is exactly what I want to accomplish. Because I have a toddler
at home we rarely watch anything "live". We have vcr's in four
different rooms, and although many times we wait until my son is in
bed to watch some shows, we also watch some while he is playing, in our
rec room or in our basement, etc. I often have 3 or 4 or 5 shows on
tape and just thought it would be fun to have them on dvd and I also
figured it'd be easier to find individual shows more quickly with a dvd
than on a tape. It sounds like from what I am hearing in this forum
and from other internet research, that any disc I record may not be
playable in the other machines we have (we have two dvd players right
now) unless the disc is finalized. It was my understanding that even
with an RW disc, when finalized the material is there for good. Now I
am hearing I can erase it all which is fine with me. I don't want to
burn a week's worth of shows and then finalize it, then have to throw
out a $2.00 disc since I can't reuse it. TiVO won't do me much good
because it ties me to one room. The cost factor is something to
consider too. I can't afford at this time to buy a super dvd recorder
with a hard drive and am not in a position to pay a monthly fee for
Tivo either. The situation isn't that crucial. I can just stay with
VHS. It's just sad that the technology isn't there to truly replace
the vcr.

jeffy3@hotmail.com

Geez, now I have to investigate whether the recorder will finalize or
not??? I don't recall any of the recorders I reviewed even mentioning
this? I am pretty much ready to give up for now, at least until the
technology is consistent!

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, jeffy3
@hotmail.com says...
> Geez, now I have to investigate whether the recorder will finalize or
> not??? I don't recall any of the recorders I reviewed even mentioning
> this? I am pretty much ready to give up for now, at least until the
> technology is consistent!

Its usually in the function menu (the one you would go to to
record/erase/pick speed.

Someone on the NG might know a model to recomend.

I have a cheapo ILO recorder, and I record programs for my wife several times
a week.

I then put the DVD+RW into the computer, load all the .VOB files into Editor
and remove the commercials, then resave the files (only takes a few minutes
per hour of video. TMPGenc Editor is LOSSLES re-save.

Then I erase the RW disc, and reburn it using Nero (and finalize) and give
her the disk.

Once she has watched it, I put it back into the ILO recorder, erase it, and
start over.

To keep this going smoothly I use a rotating stock of only four RW disks,
which I have used at least a dozen times each. So far no problem.

If she wants to watch a program the same night I record it, she gets it
commercials and all.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Bernie Woodham

I sort of agree with you. Although I think dvd recorders will outsale vcrs,
the vcr is still the most convenient medium.

There is also the issue of stations redflagging content disallowing a
digital recording of it, although you may still record it through analog.
(Now I am not THAT familiar with the issue, so if you out there are more
knowledgeable on this, pipe in but don't flame me.)

What I have done is gotten a SVHS recorder. The tapes are a bit more
expensive but you can get them on eBay pretty cheap. I have a couple of
tapes I use over and over again, but if there is a show that it is likely
that I want to keep I pop in a fresh SVHS tape for that. This has the
advantage that if I'm correct and I want to keep the material, then the
resolution of SVHS is great enough to transfer onto dvd and have a really
good picture. But I admit that there are very few shows I care to do this
with.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Here is exactly what I want to accomplish. Because I have a toddler
> at home we rarely watch anything "live". We have vcr's in four
> different rooms, and although many times we wait until my son is in
> bed to watch some shows, we also watch some while he is playing, in our
> rec room or in our basement, etc. I often have 3 or 4 or 5 shows on
> tape and just thought it would be fun to have them on dvd and I also
> figured it'd be easier to find individual shows more quickly with a dvd
> than on a tape. It sounds like from what I am hearing in this forum
> and from other internet research, that any disc I record may not be
> playable in the other machines we have (we have two dvd players right
> now) unless the disc is finalized. It was my understanding that even
> with an RW disc, when finalized the material is there for good. Now I
> am hearing I can erase it all which is fine with me. I don't want to
> burn a week's worth of shows and then finalize it, then have to throw
> out a $2.00 disc since I can't reuse it. TiVO won't do me much good
> because it ties me to one room. The cost factor is something to
> consider too. I can't afford at this time to buy a super dvd recorder
> with a hard drive and am not in a position to pay a monthly fee for
> Tivo either. The situation isn't that crucial. I can just stay with
> VHS. It's just sad that the technology isn't there to truly replace
> the vcr.

Biz

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
TiVO won't do me much good
> because it ties me to one room. The cost factor is something to
> consider too. I can't afford at this time to buy a super dvd recorder
> with a hard drive and am not in a position to pay a monthly fee for
> Tivo either. The situation isn't that crucial. I can just stay with
> VHS. It's just sad that the technology isn't there to truly replace
> the vcr.

It seems even from your post that you admit the technology is truly here,
just not at the low pricepoint for your situation.